Motorola DTR550 Vs. Alinco DJ-G29T FM Dual Band

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I have posted in the past about communications on a cruise ship. Just for the sake of argument, lets say my wife, two sons, and I are cruising again in say March 2014, which we may. And, say we are staying with the Unites States waters. In the past, we got by on a previous cruise with Motorola Nextel off network Direct Talk simplex, which worked okay, but I want to see if I can do better. So, right now I am thinking about either of the following:

-Motorola DTR550 1 watt digital simplex 902-928 mHz, or

-Alinco DJ-G29T 2.5 watt analog simplex 902-928 mHz

Both my wife and I are licensed amateur radio operators. How would the Motorola perform compared to the Alinco? I realize that it is sort of comparing apples to oranges since the Motorola is digital and the Alinco is analog. Also, the Motorola is 1 watt and the Alinco is 2.5 watts. It would be fun to perform a real world test on something like this. I suspect that 2.5 watts trumps 1 watt, but by how much? Maybe if my wife is in a cabin and I am on a deck on the other side of the ship it won't matter because neither one will work through that much steel. Anyway, lets hear from people on this.

Also, I have read that SMS (texting), at least on CDMA and GSM, can work in weak signal areas when voice won't work. Might that be a consideration on a cruise ship? Might I be able to text my wife with a DTRT550 when she simply can't hear me on voice?

pyro424

Why is it that you are so determined to use 900Mhz? I know a guy who goes cruising often with his family and he uses FRS radios. His wife and kids are not hams so the little cheap FRS radios fit the bill perfectly. He says they work flawlessly throughout the entire ship. He has no problems. So why do you not consider getting some FRS radios? Widely available, cheap. Is there a reason why you want 900Mhz?

JASII

Memory Capacity
Motorola DTR550 Vs. Alinco DJ-G29T FM Dual Band

Yes, because I have read that FRS does not have enough power to work very well on a cruise ship. It sounds like you think that they would be just fine, though. Maybe I need to get some Motorola GMRS radios and be done with it!

pyro424

Yea that sounds like a good idea. Get the GMRS so you get that bit of extra power. I am just going by what this other guy told me about his experience using the FRS on the cruise ships. However considering most larger ships do have their own on board repeaters for the crew I am not entirely sure. I have been on large ships and I can tell you that with a portable radio when I was on the port side I had trouble making contact to the shore off the the starboard. So I know for a fact my VHF signal was simply not penetrating the thick steel. He claims to of had no trouble though and he knows radio as he is a ham. Anyways you won't have to worry about any of the legalities, callsigns etc. Nobody really cares what goes on with FRS. Unless you get someone like me on board the ship who will notice your radio presence immediately and want to say hello to you! LOL.

As for your texting idea. I think that would become a problem as soon as you are a few miles off shore.

jhooten

Because everybody and their children use FRS with the obnoxious attention tones turned on and poke the PTT every 5 seconds when your are trying to talk, perhaps?

pyro424

Because everybody and their children use FRS with the obnoxious attention tones turned on and poke the PTT every 5 seconds when your are trying to talk, perhaps?

That is what sub audible tones are for. Pretty straight forward I thought.

jhooten

If they are closer to you than the person you are trying to talk to the tone squelch does what to keep the stronger signal from blocking the desired one? PL does not magically block co-channel interference.

pyro424

If they are closer to you than the person you are trying to talk to the tone squelch does what to keep the stronger signal from blocking the desired one? PL does not magically block co-channel interference.

The point is if he picks a odd channel the chances of what you describe happening are slim. I highly doubt when he is on a ship out in the ocean every FRS channel is going to be in use by these annoying kids as you describe. So would you prefer he gives radios to unlicensed users to use in the amateur band? FRS is what it is and can serve a purpose. You can hate on it all you want but I think the arguments you have brought up are of little concern. I think you are over reacting and making it seem like the FRS band is going to be fully loaded with 24/7 kid chatter.

jhooten

So your speculation is based on what? I still Have my FRS units. They sit in the drawer and I use the TriSquares even here at home in the neighborhood because the neighborhood children think it is fun to play PTT Bingo. You do realize that FRS units have this little feature called SCAN that makes it easy for them to find people, don't you? Bury your head in the sand all you want, it happens.

DTR550 are license free radios. He can give them to whom ever he wants without causing a problem.

You are the one who appears to be eaten up with hate.

pyro424

So your speculation is based on what? I still Have my FRS units. They sit in the drawer and I use the TriSquares even here at home in the neighborhood because the neighborhood children think it is fun to play PTT Bingo. You do realize that FRS units have this little feature called SCAN that makes it easy for them to find people, don't you? Bury your head in the sand all you want, it happens.

DTR550 are license free radios. He can give them to whom ever he wants without causing a problem.

You are the one who appears to be eaten up with hate.

I was never intending to get into an argument with you. You came on here looking for a fight from the start. Either you are intentionally trying to get into an argument or you are mentally ill. I must say I have never run into an *** like you before on RR. You are the first one. I hope I never see another of your posts ever again. Good bye

rapidcharger

This has turned into a lovely derailed thread.

Just some food for thought on the choice of bands, if any ports of call are in foreign countries such as the bahamas or British Virgin Islands, those countries may not have a 900mhz ham band or other license free service either.

To answer your question, I would rather have the alinco because of the high power but they're also dual band (220) which you could also have some fun with. I'd imagine the resale value would be better on the alincos too in this case. Then again, they're analog radios so... yeah.

gcgrotz

The last few cruises I've been on have FRS radios for sale in the "convenience store" and it didn't seem to matter which country it was near.

Status
Not open for further replies.