• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola DTR700 Portable Digital Radio 900Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1das

i don't know if anyone can help but i got a Motorola DTR radio and i been looking all over the internet for a programing cable i cant find any. anyone know were to get one at and the software to program it? thanks
DTR programming cable for legacy DTR410/550/650 models:

Programming cable for DTR600/700 models:

The Motorola Business Radio CPS is a free download from Motorola:

The latest version of the Motorola Business Radio CPS is R08.02 and is backward compatible with earlier CPS versions and radio firmware.

Good luck.

PGHSCANNERWACKER1

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much .also i got DTR 410 and a DTR 550. Is the newer one really worth the upgrade? I was thinking about take my two old one and getting the new ones if its worth it.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so much .also i got DTR 410 and a DTR 550. Is the newer one really worth the upgrade? I was thinking about take my two old one and getting the new ones if its worth it.

The 410s aren't great, especially with the small fixed antennas. So for sure, an update from those would be well worth it. The 550s are still good radios and should suit you fine.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Read a report that Walmart may be making a move to DTR. That will disappointed the jerks who aggrevate them with nonsense on the MURS radios. Also will cause some avid scanner listeners to complain.

BigDogg795

For anyone wanting to see the new Stubby DTR700 Antenna (PMAF4025), here's a photo of the one I just received compared to the other DTR Antennas that I have. Price was about $28.50 from an online retailer after coupon.

View attachment 75594

Is there a better antenna for the DTR700 to purchase? I recall on the DTR650 I was able to use a standard whip from an XTS series radio and got a little bit better distance. Or is there no need with the stock antenna that comes with the DTR700?

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Is there a better antenna for the DTR700 to purchase? I recall on the DTR650 I was able to use a standard whip from an XTS series radio and got a little bit better distance. Or is there no need with the stock antenna that comes with the DTR700?

The older DTR650s came with a 1/4 wave stubby antenna, so you would buy the larger 5.5" or so 1/2 wave for extra distance. The DTR700 already comes with the 1/2 wave long whip, and the small 1/4 wave can be purchased separately.

So no need to purchase one.

BigDogg795

The older DTR650s came with a 1/4 wave stubby antenna, so you would buy the larger 5.5" or so 1/2 wave for extra distance. The DTR700 already comes with the 1/2 wave long whip, and the small 1/4 wave can be purchased separately.

So no need to purchase one.
Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

telxonmaster

I just ordered a DTR700, to go with my 2 DTR650's, as they are getting older, and it seems "fresh" batteries are going to get harder to find, now that the legacy DTR's aren't made anymore. I read through this whole post, and several others, and found some good info (thanks n1das!), so shouldn't have any trouble getting the new radio talking to the 650's. I bought the program cable on Amazon, and have downloaded the software as well.

I don't have the cable for the 650's, but I did find the rare mini keyboard, so did my programming via that. (2 private groups, and the 6 public groups.)

To agree with what everyone else has said, these really are cool radios, and the new DTR's look like they will be even cooler. I've gotten close to 4 miles on mine, in an urban environment, with me on a lookout tower at a park, and my wife in the car. Like others have said, I didn't get them for the distance, but more for the privacy of them, and to play with a different technology (FHSS).

gman1971

So, been eyeing these radios for a while now. How would those compare to an SL7550e? Any thoghts on the audio compared to DMR?

Thanks.

Binger511

Feed Provider
So, been eyeing these radios for a while now. How would those compare to an SL7550e? Any thoughts on the audio compared to DMR?

Thanks.

While I personally don't have any experience with the SL7550e, and limited exposure to DMR, the DTR lineup is in my opinion, one of the best. I do know however that the SL7550e is Digital DMR only (7K60F1W), no analog and a license is required. Keep in mind CPS is required to program the TRBO lineup of radios, while the DTRs are license free and the audio in my opinion actually sounds equal or maybe even better than APCO P25. My Audio Test (YouTube)

N4KVE

The SL radios were made for a hotel manager to keep in his suit pocket, while the rest of the staff uses XPR’s. Of course the hotel’s would use a repeater on the roof, as the SL needs all the help it can get. But I’ve had great luck using 900 MHz DMR radios on simplex, with XPR6580’s, 6380’s, & 7580’s.

gman1971

@Binger511 Audio test is nice, what was the range?

@N4KVE Carrying the radio in my pocket is certainly a big plus... and the screen on the SL7550e is really easy to read.
So, 900 mhz DMR has worked well for you? What kind of range do you get out of such setup? How does the 900mhz XPR6580 stack agains the DTR700?

Thanks!

N4KVE

I’ve never used a DTR radio, but I have communicated with friends in DMR simplex mode using 6580’s at the Orlando, & Dayton Hamfest. I never ran out of range, from one end to the other. I find them for $50-$75.

gman1971

I’ve never used a DTR radio, but I have communicated with friends in DMR simplex mode using 6580’s at the Orlando, & Dayton Hamfest. I never ran out of range, from one end to the other. I find them for $50-$75.

Thanks, so it is safe to assume the DTR range will be comparable? Do you know a guesstimate of the distance?

gman1971

Whenever I did that test it was just in the next room over. I have actually gotten around 2 miles in the hilly terrain that Pennsylvania is.

Impressive, 2 miles in hilly terrain is pretty darn good. Maybe I should pick up a pair of those and see how well they work. How was the audio quality at fringe? How bad are the dropouts? You'd think being FHSS it would be better...

Thanks.

Binger511

Feed Provider
How bad are the dropouts?
During the test where I got 2 miles, the dropouts were noticeable but got better once I left my truck and the audio sounded pretty much the same.
You'd think being FHSS it would be better...
I was actually quite surprised that they reached that far and was using the DTR410's during that specific test and those also have the stubby, non-removeable antennas. Keep in mind these radios were designed for indoor business use, but they never fail to exceed my expectations!

Status
Not open for further replies.