• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola GP-68 VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0CSE

Just got my GP-68 VHF ht....love it!!..........the only thing is the battery...it does not seem to fit just right on the unit....has anyone else had this problem?...or is it just me............it programs real easy...just thought I would give my experence with it...Mike KC0CSE=HAM

Astro25

I've owned a few of these over the years, with all of them experiencing the same problem with the battery. They're either really snug (and thus hard to get on and off) or really loose.

Be careful with the keypad, the letters and numbers tend to wear off rather quickly.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
I've owned a few of these over the years, with all of them experiencing the same problem with the battery. They're either really snug (and thus hard to get on and off) or really loose.

Be careful with the keypad, the letters and numbers tend to wear off rather quickly.

Almost like the same issue when i purchased some batteries for my astro saber when i saw it advertised as NTN4595 and came home to me as 4593.... didnt see a different, tried to put it on and got it on "with a bit of force" then tried to take it off and then the ending wasnt so well.... ended with a big cut"

wwhitby

Feed Provider
Stupid question.... would that even work I mean between a 4-5Watt Radio and a 25W+ Mobile Rig?

I used a 5 watt ICOM HT and a 5/8 wave mag mount antenna for years. It worked fine for local repeaters. Simplex was so so, depending on the QTH of the person I was talking with and my location.

DODGEIT

I have used one with a mobile antenna. It worked fine. I found them on Ebay for a couple of bucks. Buy a couple and have them in case you lose one.

N6RDT

Premium Subscriber
Gp68

I have a GP68 and like it for what it is. An inexpensive portable radio with good audio quality. My issues with it is,even when new,the battery never held a charge for very long. Not sure if it was an old battery they sent me or if the charger isnt charging properly. Also,the strip on the 4 buttons on top came off so you can no longer know what those buttons are for unless you have remember. So, from an overall view. Its a desent radio at a desent price.

W2NJS

Two problems with the GP68. One is the unbelievably complicated sequences of pushing buttons required to change the setup of each channel. Second is the fact that Motorola will not service them in the USA due to the fact that the radio was never officially sold here, though lots of them did "get in" via various people who supposedly bootlegged them. Early units even carried an FCC certification sticker but later ones did not.

Dinky37

Just got my GP-68 VHF ht....love it!!..........the only thing is the battery...it does not seem to fit just right on the unit....has anyone else had this problem?...or is it just me............it programs real easy...just thought I would give my experence with it...Mike KC0CSE=HAM

Thanks for the Information

Status
Not open for further replies.