• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola GP338/360/380 signalling and is it for fire fighting use??

Status
Not open for further replies.

2009KVFD976

I am looking into getting a motorola gp338/360/380 and use it for the vol fd. Im looking for a radio that does QCII, MDC1200, and DTMF. which would be the gp338, BUT, im getting mixed info on them... Some websites claim it does all 3 and some say LIMITED MDC1200... wats the "limited" really mean?? Either it does or it dosent. I understand the 360 and 380 dont do all 3 but them too have a lot of info that is not too clear. Im trying to see if my fellow fireman want these but need the right info first. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Nope, they are off continent raios. Stick to radios in the north anerica market. HT-1250 ect, not only are they not for northamerica, you will get ZERO support from motorola if they break.

Quickcall

Premium Subscriber
The HT1250 is a far better radio to begin with. I got a GP360 a while back and it soon met the garbage can shortly after. Many people have had problems with these radios especially when bought from internet auctions overseas.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Well that's the problem you bought a gray market or parts built radio. There is no physical difference between the GP and HT series radios. They use different on board firmware and memory but that's it, since if you have the right Lab tools you can convert one to another.
Now back to the original question, the GP series doesn't do MDC they use a five tone signaling over in the EU. Also they are not FCC certified, so you have to watch out for that. OK for Hams but not Public Safety of any kind. I would go with an American dealer for purchase of a HT series rather than a GP.

Last edited:

2009KVFD976

Hello. Thanks for the replies. One more question, are the accessories interchangeable? Mics, antennas, batteries, chargers, etc... Im looking at the HT1250 and by the looks of it, the acc port on the ht is the same as gp. Please clarify.

Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
I am going to have to agree with everyone else on this one, It is better to get an FCC type accepted radio. I actually have one of them GP-380's off the internet. Compaired to the HT-1250 it's not really that great of a radio. You have to try and hunt down updated CPS for it, since it's an overeseas radio that can get tricky. It allows you to have a maximum of 255 channels, however they are not assigned in zones like the HT-1250.. It's just straight 255 channels. And mine has been acting funny on the display, half the time I can not even read whats on the display.

The good features I have found with the GP-380 radio is the ability to directly enter what channel you want right through the keypad... That's about it. Sure they are cheaper radios.. But in this case, much like many... You get what you pay for.

There are other radios out on the market that are US radios that can do what you need. It's always good to exlore your options before you get one. Good luck in finding yourself a good portable. The Ht-1250's are good rugged radios. And the X-pand audio and compounding features make for much better audio.

2009KVFD976

Is the GP338 essentially the same as the HT1250??? except that its not for use in north america. All of the features look the same, accys fit, about the same CPS... Im looking into getting either one of the two on ebay sometime in the next couple of weeks and just want to make sure they are the same. The GP338 and GP380 look identical to the HT1250, just a different decal on it and probably different codeplugs... Thanks for the input!!

2009KVFD976

I saw an HT1250 online that says you can get the limited keypad model and recase it with the full keypad... Is this true?? In all honesty, this sounds like a stupid question but whats the point on having the keypad on it? To me, it has something else to get pressed and accidentally change things... Thanks in advance for the help!!

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
I saw an HT1250 online that says you can get the limited keypad model and recase it with the full keypad... Is this true?? In all honesty, this sounds like a stupid question but whats the point on having the keypad on it? To me, it has something else to get pressed and accidentally change things... Thanks in advance for the help!!

Yes this can be done, it is a factory approved upgrade (it is in the service manual) so it is not a hack in any way.

Keypads are used for DTMF, or other selcal functions.

Nasby

The full keypad is often used by the railroads. When an employye needs to contact the train dispatcher, they key the mic while pressing a numerical key. This emits a tone that activates a nearby radio transmitter and alerts the dispatcher that someone is calling. The keytones are also used to activate switches by remote control. A series of key pad presses will activate a switch, thus saving the crew time from walking up to the switch and throwing it by hand.

2009KVFD976

Thanks!! A friend got a gp380 and we are wondering if CPS from a HT1250 or a GP338 will work with it... Im almost positive the GP380 CPS works but not for sure.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

CPS for the HT-1250 will NOT work with the 380

jim202

How is anyone on the board here going to know the answer to that question. It really needs to be asked of the seller.

I believe that our great EBAY site has removed that valuable option.

The auction states it includes cable and cd. Is the cd just a usb driver or is it actual CPS??

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
your original question:

"Motorola GP338/360/380 signalling and is it for fire fighting use??"

It's a European radio, won't support US splinter channels, does not do MDC or QCII, and is not FCC certified for use here.

Is it for firefighting use? ask yourself that question if something goes wrong and some lawyer finds out you're using non-certified equipment in the LOD. "Will the defendant please rise"

don't be stupid. these are cool radios for ham use or as a scanner, but they aren't fit for the job. Buy a real USA, FCC certified radio that supports narrowband, does USA signaling, and sleep better at night.

2009KVFD976

I got the GP380 CPS. got it all programmed except for QCII that it states that it can decode. All in all this is a pretty good radio. Plenty of features that are not available in some of the US versions. Main use to us is for scanner and a little TX/RX. Thanks to all who helped on this subject!!

Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
I would have to say that the GP338 is a bit better than the 380, But as it has been stated above, the CPS is completely different from the 1250/380. Both radios have a completely different format of firmware. I would go for a 1250 though when it comes to emergency communications. No MOT shop will touch an out of country radio for service, and if something goes wrong with the radio you would have to send it all the way back to aisia or wherever it came from... You have to factor in the costs of international shipping plus whatever they would charge to service the radio. Best bet... Stick with US type accepted radios. It will save you a lot of hassle. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.