• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola has some 'splainin to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; UPC300-2.2 Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

MSI makes its money by recurring cash flow of service and support. And I like the dividend... :D

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Read more here:

Do you really need "Digital" to talk to each other? Analog with a primary, secondary, tac channels and other designated frequencies. Or be smart....and as I have said many - many times before......DES or AES encryption. Beware of land mobile radio communications that goes through a PBX system, it is open to many faults and problems.

However, a seven-month McClatchy investigation found that, in one region after another, city, county and state officials also have favored Motorola, helping the firm secure an estimated 80 percent of all the emergency telecommunications business in America.

I have been to a lot of locations all over America. In one place where my family has friends in Virginia, 95% or more of the trucks are Chevy.

One location, where we have family in Ohio, Most of the residents drive Fords. Both the Virginia and the Ohio locations have Ford, Mopar and Chevy dealerships. How the opposing businesses stay up and running ( may be out of state sales ) - I do not know.

It is not totally inconceivable that one agency, government or county likes a particular radio system. Some people have had Motorola since the dark ages.......and having never had another radio system, they do not change. Some people like Kenwood, and having not other radio system...they don't change. Some people like other brands.......cutting down the "Premier" radio systems, because they cannot afford it - and due to the problem of money......discredit Kenwood and Motorola.

I have no doubt that with Motorola...there have been times of "questionable practices". Some people send out a request for bids......knowing full well that Motorola will get the deal. "The bidder reserves the right to reject any and all bids". Stipulations, contract language, or they detail the bid......so that only Motorola can get it. I have been in public safety too long to know better.

The company’s contract wins have been clouded by irregularities or allegations of government favoritism in Chicago, Dallas, the San Francisco Bay Area and on statewide systems in Illinois, Iowa, Kansas and Washington, to name a few. Losing bidders often have been left chafing with the belief that they weren’t playing on a level field.

This all depends on the law in the locality , or state....and how the "request for bids" is detailed. Legal language can be funny sometimes.......and in my experience.....an attorney ( Accountant / Attorney - Law Firm with CPA's and accountants on the payroll ) reviews everything before the project is started - thus saving a legal hassle for the agency and Motorola. I am not a Motorola fan....at all - I prefer Vertex, and secondarily.....Kenwood ( I have used Kenwood - Vertex and Motorola ). But because Motorola is "raking in the money" with consumers and Public Safety agencies...does not mean they have a court case, and their jealousy should be set aside. There are other markets other than Public Safety......try to "Corner those".

(A) - Yes...I know that Motorola owns Vertex. But Vertex for now....is essentially...the same product it has always been.
(B) - What do you think some of the reasons are, what the possibilities may be...for Motorola buying Vertex?

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
The fact is that Motorola (arguably) makes better radios and better systems than their competition, and (not so arguably) enjoys a better overall reputation than their competition in the public safety market.

None of these things are in any way improper.

It's easy to argue that Motorola's dominance in the public safety communications field is no more or less improper than Microsoft's dominance in software applications used by government entities.

The fact is that YES, you do have alternatives and YES you can buy them if you choose to do so, so there is no monopoly. You can choose Harris, or if you're really a risktaker, a 2nd or third tier provider like the Japanese brands I shall not name. Or, when it comes to your computer, you have the Apple alternatives and the many Linux alternatives.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Who ever wrote that has a hard on against Motorola.. Even the picture with it is misleading. One Motorola mic, an old GE mic, a CB mic and a PA mic.. Hardly multiple systems...

NorCalrescue

Premium Subscriber
The fact is that Motorola (arguably) makes better radios and better systems than their competition, and (not so arguably) enjoys a better overall reputation than their competition in the public safety market.

It's easy to argue that Motorola's dominance in the public safety communications field is no more or less improper than Microsoft's dominance in software applications used by government entities.

The fact is that YES, you do have alternatives and YES you can buy them if you choose to do so, so there is no monopoly. You can choose Harris, or if you're really a risktaker, a 2nd or third tier provider like the Japanese brands I shall not name. Or, when it comes to your computer, you have the Apple alternatives and the many Linux alternatives.

LIKE!

Motorola does NOT have any explainin' to do

I don't think Motorola has done anything wrong. They know what to do, and they do it well. There will ALWAYS be haters out there and to you I say. (H)aving (A)nger (T)owards (E)veryone (R)eaching (S)uccess

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.

When you have been around since the "Dark Ages" it is hard to argue, and some people who have been using Motorolas since then beginning simply do not like change.

It is called marketing, for a large part I believe. R&D not only takes care of the internal workings, they work on the outside of the radio also to make it appealing.

The Armed Forces market themselves and adverise often. The Federal Agencies do what they can to pick the "creme of the crop" - ATF, FBI - Marshals Service all want those people with psychology, law, business, and computer degrees ; Criminal Justice is gradually becoming a degree of the past. Ford - Chevy - Dodge and other do what they can to "Corner the market" in auto sales. Audi, BMW and Volvo are in a class of their own, designing SUV's and All-Wheel Drive vehicles to get those upper class customers. In a sense, it boils down to marketing

The fact is that YES, you do have alternatives and YES you can buy them if you choose to do so......

The benefits of a free country, and being a consumer.

FF - Medic !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.