• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola HT series firmware upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

apx7000xe

Premium Subscriber
I have a /\/\otorola HT1250 and HT1550 that I am trying to upgrade firmware on. I have the firmware but I have no idea on how to upgrade the firmware or what I need. I have the RIB and cable. I have a lot of programming experience but I've never done a firmware upgrade.

Motorola HT1550XLS Motorola HT1250 Kenwood TK2170 Motorola Minitor VI

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
I believe you would need an ibutton and SmartRib box to do Firmware updates on those radios.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I believe you would need an ibutton and SmartRib box to do Firmware updates on those radios.
SmartRib is optional, iButtons are not used on this series of radios.

From the BatLabs info page on the Pro Series:

You will need to use the RKN4074 Test/Flash/Programming Cable or AARKN4075B (RIB-less Programming/Flash Cable) with these radios.

For both mobiles and portables, you will need the HLN9742 Flash Adapter. If you are using a RIB and associated cable, the Flash Adapter must be connected between the RIB and the Programming/Test Cable. If you are using the RIB-less cable, the Flash Adapter must be connected between the PC and the RIB-less Programming Cable.

You do not need a SmartRIB (SRIB) to flash upgrade the radios, the normal RLN4008 RIB will work just fine.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Nothing special about upgrading the firmware, just be aware NOT to jump large number of versions, like 2.0 to 5.18 as you can brick the radio. There is no smart rib or Ibutton needed, and you will need as posted the adapter that puts the radio in bootstrap mode, all it does is put a ground on a pin on the serial version cable. Select the software exe let it start follow the directions about turning on/off and switching the switch A or B. Also don't unplug, turn off or remove power from the radio as that WILL cause the radio to go into an unrecoverable state. If it looks like it's not doing anything, go get a cup of coffee or a drink of you favorite poison and come back later. I have seen some radios take up to 20 min to load.

Status
Not open for further replies.