• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola HT1000 receive problem...HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamaster

Hello! Ok, so i bought a used ht1000 and it has an issue. I had the first 8 channels programmed to gmrs and the other 8 programmed to local police frequencies to scan. Well, whenever the radio is receiving conversation there is an annoying clicking noise that occurs whenever the red led light on top blinks. Its not the low battery chirping noise. It does it when listening to the police frequencies and it does it when receiving from my other ht1000's on the gmrs frequencies. Also, when i was transmitting to it from my other radios it makes the sound when im not talking into the radio. It doesnt make the sound if its not receiving. I didnt program the radios nor do i have the equipment or know how. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Cost to fix? I appreciate your help.

Devilz311

What you are explaining sounds like it's on priority scan. Every "x" amount of seconds it checks for traffic on the priority channel (whichever channel the HT1000 is on). It's normal.

seamaster

Hello

Hello! Thanks for your response. It makes listening to an actual conversation coming over the radio difficult and annoying because it makes that noise. I don't think that its normal. None of my other ht1000's make that noise when receiving in scanning mode or when receiving via the programmed GPRS frequencies. You mentioned "priority scan" is there a way to remove this and make it just scan normally? Again, it occurs in unison with the red led blinking light when receiving.

seamaster

I would post a recording of the annoying sound somewhere if you know of one so you can listen to it and get a better idea about what i'm talking about. Please let me know if there is somewhere to post a recording.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
You can set up the scan to not have any priority channels and that'll get rid of the lookback and chopping.

SCPD

QRT
Second above. The radio is scanning. The "click" you hear is the radio tuning back to the priority channel checking for traffic. Not much of a fix except to stop scanning so many channels. Also, the scan speed isn't all that great compared to a scanner. Scan too many channels on the HT1000 and you could miss some traffic.

seamaster

HEllo

Hello! Is the removal of the priority scan something that I can do with the buttons on the side myself or is it a job for someone that does programming? It has to be the scan because it doesn't do it when I take it off of scan. Also, another observation I had is that when in scan mode and it makes that chopping sound...if its receiving and I hold down one of the buttons(assuming its squelch) the chopping goes away until I let go.

seamaster

Hello

Hello! Thanks for the reply. Well, the first set of ht1000's that I bought I had the seller program 7 channels for scanning only and not to scan the gmrs frequencies too. The guy that I bought the radio Im having trouble with set the radio up to scan all 16 channels when in scan mode which is not what I wanted. another thing which is weird is that I can transmit to it from my other radios when its in scan mode.

SCPD

QRT
Too late now, perhaps, but the radio can be programmed such that you can edit the scan list. Sight unseen, its difficult to determine how the radio is programmed. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the HT1000 - but something you can try... if you try the ABC switch in different positions... one of the programming modes is A-SCAN ON, B-SCAN OFF, C-SCAN PROG - if you place the radio into SCAN PROG, it should beep, then the green LED should come on when a channel in the scan list is selected on the channel knob... if it does, you may be able to edit the scan list. Typically, one of the side buttons is programmed for SCAN ON/OFF, which toggles the selected channel between scan on, and scan off...

just throwin' it out there...

EDIT: when you radio is in SCAN mode, what position is the ABC switch in?

Last edited:

seamaster

Thanks for the information. I didn't know any of that. Ill try it out. It kind of sucks because I should have probably asked him what each switch and button does what. Ill try out your recommendation and ill let you know of my findings. I don't know much about radios in general. I bought them for recreation.

W2NJS

If the ABC switch thing doesn't work then you will have to get someone with the software to go into the radio and shut off the priority mode altogether. You can still have scanning but you won't have a priority setup.

seamaster

Well, the abc switch does in fact work turning on and off the scan mode. What is priority mode though? And once I have the toggle switch set so the led is green, how do I turn off certain channels from being scanned? I really appreciate all of your help folks! Again, I'm as novice as they come. Handhelds are pretty damn cool though:)

SCPD

QRT
if the LED turns green, then you are more than likely entering Scan Program mode.

When in this mode, and while the LED is green, try all the side buttons and see if one of them toggle the LED from green to off (or even green to red to off). If one does, this is your SCAN ON/OFF button, and can be used in conjunction with the ABC switch to edit the scan list.

You would then select each channel and select SCAN on or off, per your choice. You can do this as often as you like, depending on your needs in the moment.

Don't worry, pressing other side buttons while in SCAN PROG mode will have no effect other than the one intended.

Please answer this question: when you radio is in SCAN mode, what position is the ABC switch in?

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Click clack

I wonder if the clicking is noise on the priority channel. Is the priority channel CSQ? Try to reprogram the priority channel to a different freq with a PL on the RX just to see if it goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.