• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JacksonM1007

I bought a near mint HT1000 off of ebay and its programmed by the seller, but some things are programmed incorrectly.

i have some youtube videos up asking what the heck is wrong, but make sure to read the description of the videos to better understand what is wrong and what im asking.

Edit: Video 1 shows that the radio transmits the entire MDC preamble. What setting do i change?
Video 2 shows it won’t receive audio on simplex, won’t receive certain repeaters without holding down the monitor button, and that the repeaters aren't even Programmed correctly. What settings do i change?

if you have any info, Post in this thread or in the comments of the video. Thanks

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I bought a near mint HT1000 off of ebay and its programmed by the seller, but some things are programmed incorrectly.

i have some youtube videos up asking what the heck is wrong, but make sure to read the description of the videos to better understand what is wrong and what im asking.

Edit: Video 1 shows that the radio transmits the entire MDC preamble. What setting do i change?

Yeah, it's transmitting MDC, but not sure which part of it you want to change? Can you provide some more detail about what it is you are looking for?

Video 2 shows it won’t receive audio on simplex, won’t receive certain repeaters without holding down the monitor button, and that the repeaters aren't even Programmed correctly. What settings do i change?

Appears that there is a PL or DPL squelch set on the receive side of your HT-1000. Many amateur radio repeaters do not retransmit a PL or DPL tone. Some do, but it's not always necessarily the same as the input tone.
You could change the RX PL squelch to CSQ (Carrier Squelch).

Also, transmitting that close to another radio and trying to hit a repeater is going to result in the nearby radio getting overloaded, and giving you no or faulty audio.

And 'kerchunking' repeaters over and over again with MDC ID set is probably going to result in some unfriendly replies. Unless you actually need MDC to access the repeaters, shut. it. off.

JacksonM1007

Yeah, it's transmitting MDC, but not sure which part of it you want to change? Can you provide some more detail about what it is you are looking for?

Appears that there is a PL or DPL squelch set on the receive side of your HT-1000. Many amateur radio repeaters do not retransmit a PL or DPL tone. Some do, but it's not always necessarily the same as the input tone.

Also, transmitting that close to another radio and trying to hit a repeater is going to result in the nearby radio getting overloaded, and giving you no or faulty audio.

And 'kerchunking' repeaters over and over again with MDC ID set is probably going to result in some unfriendly replies. Unless you actually need MDC to access the repeaters, shut. it. off.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I only need the radio to transmit the chirp, not the whole preamble.
My uncle is a licensed GMRS op, and that repeater houses many MDC users, but i dont plan on using it for any amateur radio operation.
I see what your saying with the overload problem, but ive done the same test with another radio over a hundred feet away in line of sight, and still no receive audio. Could it be a RX PL like you explained?

K2NEC

I think he is trying to get MDC post not MDC pre and right now he has it set for preamble.
^^^ What he said
I respectfully disagree. He can have an MDC just don't go crazy. Don't have a pre and a post and preamble, etc. If they don't want to hear it, turn your radio off or switch to a different channel. I have been on both sides of the fence but this isn't the time or the place for discussing it.

JacksonM1007

I respectfully disagree. He can have an MDC just don't go crazy. Don't have a pre and a post and preamble, etc. If they don't want to hear it, turn your radio off or switch to a different channel. I have been on both sides of the fence but this isn't the time or the place for it.
Thank you. Im 13 and ive always wanted to join law enforcement, certain things like the Ford Crown Victoria and MDC-1200 are very iconic to me. I only plan on using it for our GMRS community and for cops and robbers. Yes, i said cops and robbers. I just need to know what settings and things to fiddle with.

also, yes, i would like it to ID post transmission and not PRE. And without the annoying preamble.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
also, yes, i would like it to ID post transmission and not PRE. And without the annoying preamble.

OK, got it.
Yeah, post MDC is a nice option, and you don't need the long preamble.

The other issues really look like they are caused by the RX squelch setting. Change it to CSQ and it'll probably fix it. The clue is that the LED on top of the radio is flashing, but you aren't hearing audio. That means the radio is receiving, but the tone squelch function is blocking the audio. Pressing the monitor button on the side is disabling it and temporarily switching to carrier squelch mode.

Easy fix if you have the programming software and cable. Just make sure you read the radio first, then save the file before making any changes, that will save your butt if you make a mistake, just load the original file back in and you're back to where you started.

Good luck and enjoy the radio.

JacksonM1007

OK, got it.
Yeah, post MDC is a nice option, and you don't need the long preamble.

The other issues really look like they are caused by the RX squelch setting. Change it to CSQ and it'll probably fix it. The clue is that the LED on top of the radio is flashing, but you aren't hearing audio. That means the radio is receiving, but the tone squelch function is blocking the audio. Pressing the monitor button on the side is disabling it and temporarily switching to carrier squelch mode.

Easy fix if you have the programming software and cable. Just make sure you read the radio first, then save the file before making any changes, that will save your butt if you make a mistake, just load the original file back in and you're back to where you started.

Good luck and enjoy the radio.
Alright thanks! Ill be using a friends computer to do that so can i keep the save file in dropbox or something so i can open it up on other occasions where i have to use someone elses pc? (I dont have my own).

also, taking note of what you said regarding CSQ, ch1 on the radio is programmed to FRS ch7, as shown in the videos. Unlike the repeaters, Ch1, upon keyup via another radio, no matter what distance, does NOT show any red light on top. And when open the squelch on the HT1000 to try and rx, the sq always cancels itself when keying up another radio on the same frequency, but doesnt Register any rx signal or audio. Weird. Any ideas?

edit: in case your wondering if the top light works, yes, it does.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Alright thanks! Ill be using a friends computer to do that so can i keep the save file in dropbox or something so i can open it up on other occasions where i have to use someone elses pc? (I dont have my own).

Should work. Pretty sure I've done it with Kenwood files.
But since the HT-1000 software only will run under DOS, you'll have to save it to a file, then boot up into windows and move it to dropbox. Same thing in reverse to get it onto another programming computer.

also, taking note of what you said regarding CSQ, ch1 on the radio is programmed to FRS ch7, as shown in the videos. Unlike the repeaters, Ch1, upon keyup via another radio, no matter what distance, does NOT show any red light on top.

Sounds like it's not programmed for the frequency you think it is.

And when open the squelch on the HT1000 to try and rx, the sq always cancels itself when keying up another radio on the same frequency, but doesnt Register any rx signal or audio. Weird. Any ideas?

I'd have to see that happen, not sure I'm following you.
You should read the radio and confirm it was set up the way you requested. Easy to make a mistake when programming these.

cmdrwill

Just make sure you read the radio first, then save the file before making any changes, that will save your butt if you make a mistake, just load the original file back in and you're back to where you started.

THE Golden Rule for programming. SAVE the radio's original file in a Safe archive where it will not get screwed up. I have a separate archive for the 'codeplugs'.

Yep. Nothing shouts CB lid more than MDC on pre and post on ham repeaters
MDC really tweeks the Ham Radio community.

Status
Not open for further replies.