• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola HT1000 softwrae issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbm1989

Premium Subscriber
I am having issues with the Motorola HT1000 software I've been programming radios as my own small business for tehe past 2 years. recently I got a bunch of Motorola software on a disc from a guy I found on the internet. one of the software was the HT1000. I purchased a Rib;less cable and tired to program the radio I get a message that the communication reading the radio was unsuccessful one of the possible wias no RIB. so I purchased one, still the same error! I am running windows 7 Home premium. if anyone can help with this please let me know I have no other older computers to test this,
Thanks!
Ben Murray

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I am having issues with the Motorola HT1000 software I've been programming radios as my own small business for tehe past 2 years. recently I got a bunch of Motorola software on a disc from a guy I found on the internet. one of the software was the HT1000. I purchased a Rib;less cable and tired to program the radio I get a message that the communication reading the radio was unsuccessful one of the possible wias no RIB. so I purchased one, still the same error! I am running windows 7 Home premium. if anyone can help with this please let me know I have no other older computers to test this,
Thanks!
Ben Murray

You can't run RSS software from the Windows operating system. Running the "Command Promt" terminal won't work. You have to have a computer that still uses the MS-DOS platform. Any operating system higher than Windows 98 won't work.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Thanks!
Ben Murray

Here's an idea, call 1-888-325-9336 and ask them for technical support setting up your bootleg RSS, which is NLA BTW, and report back with your answer. Make sure you have a copy of your signed license agreement- oh that's right I doubt your "CD downloaded off the internet " includes that. Scratch that part.

Sorry, but people like you give legit radio service organizations a bad name. You admit you are using a cheap Ebay cable (Motorola never made, nor supports, a third party "Ribless" cable for the Jedi series.), an unstable computer platform with the wrong O/S, and illegally obtained software to program customers' radios? Do you realize you can seriously hose these older radios this way?

Some of us have legit software, spent thousands on factory cables and took the classes (which also cost big money) to do it right. And we spend countless of hours of our professional time unscrewing amateurish mistakes made by people such as yourself.

Do yourself and your "customers" a favor, spend some reading the forums on Batlabs, obtain legitimate, as current as possible versions of software packages, and good solid programming computer, and a proper RIB and cable and do it right. Especially if you are programming public safety radios.
The older radios, especially the Jedi series (HT1000, MT2000, MTS2000, etc) can get majorly fubared with junk Ebay cables, unstable computers, and older out of date, hacked bootleg RSS/CPS floating around on the net.

Sorry but after spending last weekend on two MT2000's that were butchered by some tard using bootleg DEPOT RSS and crap cables, I had to vent.

FYI Flat rate is around $280 on these, and who knows how long they will be supported. after this, it's best effort time and materials on a bench like mine at a price I doubt you can afford.

do it right. or don't do it at all. people's lives depend on this stuff.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
your running windows 7 .. that explains it. It was never designed to be run on a windows based computer. It has to be in DOS ..true dos not a dos shell..

prcguy

Every other radio company supports their products with free programming software. How many of you out there have purchased Bloatorola software at inflated prices then sent a radio in for service and it comes back programmed with a new version and you have to now purchase new software again at inflated prices to support your radio that you already bought software for at an inflated price?

My personal opinion is if you can get Bloatorola software for free go for it and give it to everybody you can for free. Send it to off shore web hosts that will pass it on for free. Leave CD copies of it all over place at the next ham radio swapmeet. Leave copies in phone boots around town then send anonymous posts to Bloatorola groups that there is free software waiting at those locations.

Etc, etc.

Just my 2c.
prcguy

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I don't like the amount Motherola charges, either. But I agree with MTS2000des - try and get big M to work on your software problems without a valid ID. Also, do you really want software on your computer that you download from unreputable sites on the internet? Hope you have your anti-virus up to date!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Every other radio company supports their products with free programming software. How many of you out there have purchased Bloatorola software at inflated prices then sent a radio in for service and it comes back programmed with a new version and you have to now purchase new software again at inflated prices to support your radio that you already bought software for at an inflated price?

My personal opinion is if you can get Bloatorola software for free go for it and give it to everybody you can for free. Send it to off shore web hosts that will pass it on for free. Leave CD copies of it all over place at the next ham radio swapmeet. Leave copies in phone boots around town then send anonymous posts to Bloatorola groups that there is free software waiting at those locations.

Etc, etc.

Just my 2c.
prcguy

All of this is irrelevant. Copyright infringement is copyright infringement. Publicly admitting is retarded. And this isn't just limited to Motorola, Kenwood, Icom, Vertex, Hytera, EF Johnson all sell software too. And it's pricing isn't too far off from Motorola's current products. PR1500 CPS is around 100 bucks, Kenwood KPG-89D is about the same for the 2180/3180. Both require you not to copy or distribute them. So what is your point?

If you can't afford the software than maybe you can't afford the radios. Plenty of other manufacturers out there. BTW, good luck getting software legitimately from Kenwood and Icom, they are getting tight about selling programming software to end users.

If you are programming radios for a business, you should do it right. Get the proper tools, legit software and training. Especially if other people's lives depend on these radios to work. Otherwise you are just risking at least bricking someone else's stuff and will have to pay someone like me to fix it, or worse yet it could fail and someone could get hurt or worse. will cost you a lot more than the few bucks you scored with your Chinese Ebay cables and bootleg software.

mancow

Database Admin
I disagree.

Designing a product that relies on a certain software package then deciding to prevent anyone from purchasing that software package to support it is RETARDED. It's like buying a car that you can never ever buy tires for once the factory ones have gone bad. I would gladly pay them a fair price for their crap 1994 discontinued software if I actually could but I can't so I will get it by whatever means I can. So will most anyone else. That's just reality.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
We all know the sad truth. If you want it its out there. Its bought, sold, traded, bartered and pilfered. That is why we see so many questions here and on Batlabs" i tried to program my radio and it doesnt work now" or " I loaded this CPS/RSS on my computer and it dont work" you think joe blow who bought a radio, cable and rib on Ebay got a MOL account and bought it legally? No he searched the internet, and dowloaded it or joined a message board( not this one) asked for it and somehow got it. Now they bricked the radio. Came here and wanted somone to tell them how to wave the magic wand and make it work.

I've witnessed a dealer hand over a burned CD copy of the current CPS to a customer. Its not just happening on a hobby level.

mancow

Database Admin
Well BL has been a major factor in the paranoia for many years. Ironically it was the major source of everything that was professed to be taboo.

bbm1989

Premium Subscriber
HT1000 Programming

Thanks for the help guys. I did find an old dell laptop laying around here with windows ME I am going to downgrade it to windows 98 is this a good idea?
Ben

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

XP should run most programming, but 98 itself isn't a problem. Just make sure it does not have access to the internet.

jim202

I would try and format the hard drive on the Dell in a FAT32 format. That way you can boot directly into DOS from a boot floppy and still be able to use the hard drive for storage of the DOS program files and codeplugs. Just keep in mind that DOS doesn't like hard drives much over 80 GB. Don't forget to get all the drivers for the computer before you format the hard drive.

What you can then do with the Dell is load Windows XP on it so that you have fairly easy access to other computers using a LAN connection. This way you can move file between computers easily.

Then use the DOS 6.22 boot disk and boot the computer from the A: drive. Change directories and go to the one with your DOS software for the radio.

Some computers have an issue with the cache of the serial port transfer of data. So you might need to run a small program called "CACHEOFF.COM" prior to trying to run the radio software.

The speed of the computer clock will make a big difference. You need a fairly slow speed computer to run many of the older Motorola software. If this becomes a problems, there is a program called "MOSLOPRO" that can be bought for about $29.00 and downloaded on your computer. I use it on some of my computers that are a little on the fast side. The ideal speed is something under 500 MHz for most of the programs. If your trying to work with a Syntor X9000, speed is a major factor on this software.

prcguy

The city I work in is one of the largest in CA and had hundreds of Sabers for their Police and Fire. The com guy there used to tell me horror stories of them sending in a big lot of radios for service and getting them back programmed with newer software preventing them from making emergency changes to their fleet of radios without buying new software. This happened manyl times to my knowledge and every city and govt radio shop has the same horror stories. What kind of policy is that?

Can't afford the radios? My radio collection probably cost more than the house MTS lives in and many of the radios cost more than the car he drives. Its not about cost, its the principal, which sucks.
prcguy

All of this is irrelevant. Copyright infringement is copyright infringement. Publicly admitting is retarded. And this isn't just limited to Motorola, Kenwood, Icom, Vertex, Hytera, EF Johnson all sell software too. And it's pricing isn't too far off from Motorola's current products. PR1500 CPS is around 100 bucks, Kenwood KPG-89D is about the same for the 2180/3180. Both require you not to copy or distribute them. So what is your point?

If you can't afford the software than maybe you can't afford the radios. Plenty of other manufacturers out there. BTW, good luck getting software legitimately from Kenwood and Icom, they are getting tight about selling programming software to end users.

If you are programming radios for a business, you should do it right. Get the proper tools, legit software and training. Especially if other people's lives depend on these radios to work. Otherwise you are just risking at least bricking someone else's stuff and will have to pay someone like me to fix it, or worse yet it could fail and someone could get hurt or worse. will cost you a lot more than the few bucks you scored with your Chinese Ebay cables and bootleg software.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
The city I work in is one of the largest in CA and had hundreds of Sabers for their Police and Fire. The com guy there used to tell me horror stories of them sending in a big lot of radios for service and getting them back programmed with newer software preventing them from making emergency changes to their fleet of radios without buying new software. This happened manyl times to my knowledge and every city and govt radio shop has the same horror stories. What kind of policy is that?

Can't afford the radios? My radio collection probably cost more than the house MTS lives in and many of the radios cost more than the car he drives. Its not about cost, its the principal, which sucks.
prcguy

Sabers are 20 year old radios, Astro Sabers are 10 year old plus radios. Do you expect Microsoft to support Windows 95? How about WFW 3.11? Go cry to Bill Gates and Co. that you can't get drivers for your new Dell for W95 or WFW. Or complain that Microsoft won't release NLA S/W as public domain. Don't like it? Don't buy their products. You and your city DO have a choice.It's called capitalism and like it or not, it's what our economy is based on. If they are still using radios designed and built in the 1980's when Ronald Reagan was still alive, it's time for them to make public safety a priority and replace them with newer radios. Equivalent analog radios from a variety of manufacturers are plentiful. No excuse for agencies using inferior equipment, especially those on analog legacy infrastructure. Their going to have to replace them anyway before Jan 2013.

No one is FORCING agencies to buy Motorola. Is it Motorola's fault that their customers do not do their own research? So you walk into a Ford dealer and say "hey I've got a 100 grand in my pocket and I need a car", you think any dealer in his/her right mind would not want to sell you the most profitable product even if it exceeded your needs? As with any purchase it is up to the CONSUMER to do research and find a product that fits their need and budget. The information is out there, the Internet, consultants, etc etc are readily available. Problem is it doesn't happen that way. Most gov't agencies in charge of procurement have NO IDEA what they are doing and rely on the vendor to guide them. Well any vendor who wants to stay in business and grow is going to do what is in THEIR best interest. It's called capitalism economics. Don't agree with it? Move to China.

Your anti-Motorola stance has nothing to do with this. Using unauthorized software, inferior programming hardware and cables and a lack of knowledge when programming radios is a recipe for disaster no matter what the make and model of radios are. Some or more tolerant than others. Just got through doing a full realignment on a Kenwood TK-2170 that someone used one of those great KAWAMALL cables that had a short in it and overwrote the factory alignment data with garbage. Yes it can happen to KENWOOD radios too. Spent an hour of time, at 75 bucks. Cost of OEM cable is less. Do the math.

But if your collection of radios really cost more than my house and car (which you have no idea what you are talking about and doesn't have any relevance to this thread) you'd already know most of this right?

bezking

Wow... this is the silliest argument I've seen since, well, the last time we had one of these arguments.

The OP's questions have been asked and answered, this thread is closed.

(oh, and my radio collection is better than all of yours put together!) ;)

Edit: to BBM1989: I see that you're a new poster to our forums. I apologize on behalf of the staff and the membership that your thread devolved into bickering.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.