• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola lawsuit update

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4KVE

Well since the 3 Hytera employees who stole the “trade secrets“ have no money, Moto has to go after the deep pockets. The employees probably told Moto they invented those features while working for Hytera. But since they have no $, why should Moto sue them?

N4KVE

Well this explains it right here. Sounds reasonable to me. Since the three employees have no money, Moto has to go after the deep pockets.

During the trial, Hytera attorneys acknowledged that three former Motorola [the company had not yet changed its name to Motorola Solutions at the time] employees—Samuel Chia, Y.T. Kok and G.S. Kok—accessed more than 7,000 Motorola documents prior to each of them leaving and joining Hytera shortly in 2008. However, Hytera attorneys described the three engineers as “bad apples” who did not share with anyone else at Hytera that the DMR trade secrets and software were taken from Motorola.

N4KVE

Moto claims recent features used in Hytera radios were “borrowed” from them by the 3 ex Moto employees. Hytera removed these features from their new inventory, & by upgrading to FW 9 on radios already out there, these features will also be removed. I don’t know exactly what the specific features are. So stay away from FW 9 on a Hytera radio is like stay away from FW 2.10, & CPS 2 on a Moto radio. No good can come from using either one.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
Moto claims recent features used in Hytera radios were “borrowed” from them by the 3 ex Moto employees. Hytera removed these features from their new inventory, & by upgrading to FW 9 on radios already out there, these features will also be removed. I don’t know exactly what the specific features are. So stay away from FW 9 on a Hytera radio is like stay away from FW 2.10, & CPS 2 on a Moto radio. No good can come from using either one.
I have a hytera pd782 with fw 9. Is there a way to downgrade ? It's how it came and it seems to work fine?

N4KVE

I have a hytera pd782 with fw 9. Is there a way to downgrade ? It's how it came and it seems to work fine?
I don’t think you can go backwards in the FW. I think the features were for trunking users. If you’re using your radio for ham radio use, you shouldn’t notice a difference.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
I don’t think you can go backwards in the FW. I think the features were for trunking users. If you’re using your radio for ham radio use, you shouldn’t notice a difference.
Yup just ham use nothing out of the ordinary. Good to know thanks

BMedcom

I still remember a few years back, I ordered an NX5300, from a local Kenwood dealer. He told me he was now a full Hytera dealer also, and he wished his clients would stop paying big bucks for Kenwood. He showed me some if the Hyteras, and said that Hytera was running circles around Motorola and Kenwood both, and they were doing so good that top engineers walked from Motorola just to be a part of Hytera. He said they are that good. Wonder what he would say now?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Intellectual property theft, like any kind of theft, doesn't pay. Hytera knew, or should have known, the employees they hired from MSI brought stolen IP with them. Hytera chose to use the fruits of their crimes to profit. Their business decision was pretty poor in hindsight. Sucks for them. Next time, don't steal.

n1das

No FW downgrades are possible that I know of. I have a few UHF PD982 portables and a couple of X1p portables (1 VHF, 1 UHF), all with V9 FW. I also have a couple of UHF RD982-1 repeaters with the latest FW.

After 8 years of ownership, I'm done with Hytera. I'm keeping what Hyteras I have while they last but going full Moto in the future. I am liking Motorola's products better anyway. I might eBay one of the repeaters and some of the portables.

N4KVE

Our local Florida Statewide DMR Ham System, AC4XQ, uses 8 Hytera repeaters linked all over the state. Except for a FW problem 5, or 6 years ago which took Hytera a year to solve, the repeaters have been trouble free.

ottosykora

Hytera removed these features from their new inventory, & by upgrading to FW 9 on radios already out there, these features will also be removed. I don’t know exactly what the specific features are. So stay away from FW 9 on a Hytera
features removed? No, some software solutions were replaced by other similar sw solution and features have been added.
I would upgrade any Hytera to FW9 if I had still one with anything less.

The only feature which is kind of half removed is that in analog mode, operationg so called monitor function, or simply disable any squelch, ist now fix set to minimum squelch level 2. Why this needs to be so I have no clue, as squelch off function exist on all radios I can remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.