• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Lithium Ion Impress Battery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased 2 OEM Lithium Ion batteries used off EBay. One of them works fine but the other will charge fully but won’t turn the radio on I also reconditioned the battery once. I tried it on my XTS 3000 and 5000 but still didn’t power on. I read on a manual that if the battery was in storage that it could take more than one reconditioning to get it to come to life

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
That was the risk I planned on taking with them since they are used after all thanks for the help I will try that and see what happens

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Yeah if you got them cheap enough that it was worth getting one good battery out of the purchase, then you don't have anything to lose by trying to run the other cell through a few cycles.

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
Yea I payed 19.99 per battery so it’s high risk high reward in my opinion thanks for you help again

K2NEC

How long does it take to go from reconditioning to charged? I bought a lot of 6550 batteries for dirt cheap and a handful of them went from steady red to steady green in maybe an hour. Service life was 20% on em but hey dirt cheap is dirt cheap.

But as mentioned above, try a few recondition cycles.

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
It was probably around 35 percent charged it took over an hour to get it out of reconditioning before it started to charge

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Good point...the recalibration cycle should take at least an hour from start to finish, maybe more depending on the design capacity of the battery and how much potential capacity is left on it. If it's finishing up relatively quickly, then it's probably shot. Surprised that the charger isn't flagging it as end of service life and alternating green/red.

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
It hasnt done that yet I am gonna put it in reconditioning 2 more times and if it doesn’t work I’m gonna cut my loss

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
I put it into a second reconditioning phase over an hour ago at full charge and it’s still in reconditioning mode

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Reconditioning it if it not showing then let the impres charger do its thing for a few cycles, use it up on the radio for a few cycles without force and establish a pattern keep using it. They say its bad to force reconditish but since its already a messed up battery. Ive had some new old stock batteries take a few times to fix themselves up to newish condition after sitting for a few years. If you get a Impres data reader you can find out more whats gonig on with it

Last edited:

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately I can’t discharge the battery via the radio since none of the radios will power up at using the battery

K2NEC

Surprised that the charger isn't flagging it as end of service life and alternating green/red.
Funny you should mention that. It seems to be hit or miss. Out of my OEM Impres XPR batteries and I have a battery at 89% service life and it doesn't flash service life. But I have a 94% one that does. Weird ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Opfor2

It could be that the batteries internal "clock" is out on sync. You would need a Motorola IMPRES™ Battery Data Reader to reprogram the clock.

Charlie1068

Premium Subscriber
I plan on cutting my loses since unfortunately I don’t own the impress program I’m hoping the seller might be able to send me a working battery but as stated earlier I payed 20 bucks for it so if it doesn’t work I took the risk of that happening

Status
Not open for further replies.