• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Low-Band Syntor X

Status
Not open for further replies.

joefoss

I have a Low-Band Motorola Syntor X. It works fine. I have it connected to a PIEXX software which changed-out the personality board and was replaced with the PIEXX equivalent so you can control the Syntor frequency range and scan via a lap-top computer. All works well 29 to 53 Mhz. However, I want to take one down to 25 Mhz. No one make any equipment there anymore. I am able to get the Syntor to operate as low as 26.10 Mhz. It would seem easy to get that to move one Mhz. lower. There is nor VCO adjustment as there is on the GE rangers to change ranges with a slight tweek. I would guess that if I were to program the factory EE Prom, the radio would only get it to 26.10 Mhz as well. I be leave the problem is in the VCO. There are a lot of good business frequencies on 25 Mhz I would like to monitor; many radio broadcast remotes operate there as well as some old business users who have kept their old radios. This is a good day-time frequency where you can communicate hundreds of miles (constant skip). Can anyone help me to get this unit on 25 MHz or on the 24 Mhz ham band? Thanks,
Joe
WD8BVL
Battle Creek, MI

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
FM is not allowed below 29 MHz.

mm

24.985MHz FM is being used daily by hams across the US and has been for years.

nd5y

Why a bad idea??. The Syntor is a fine monitor receiver, especially so with a properly tuned noise blanker.
Joe

I has nothing to do with the quality of the radio.
If you are running 3 kHz deviation with the audio frequency limited to 3 kHz your signal is about 12 kHz wide.
If your carrier frequency is only 5 kHz from the edge of the band then part of your signal will be outside the ham band.

Last edited:

joefoss

Syntor X

Yes, I see. Therefore, on that ham band, you will have to stay with the new narrow-band standard of 2.5 or 3 Khz max, which is a 12 Khz bandwidth in order t stay within the defined band plan. Got it!
Joe

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Syntor X radios run at about 5kc deviation, they were not designed for 2.5kc deviation and with that being the case your looking at at least 20kc wide signal.

Transmitting a radio signal outside of your band privileges is not only bad practice, ill advised but illegal.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Back to the original question:

Shifting the VCO. I don't know about the low band units, but I used to have a VHF Hi Band unit with the Piexx controller. There was a VCO strip that had to be cut or lengthened to stretch the VCO to work down into the 2 meter ham band. I lost some of the top end, but I seem to recall it covered the 154MHz work frequencies just fine, as well as down into the 145MHz range just fine. I don't recall exactly, as it was many years ago.

Again, not sure if the low band unit is set up the same way or not, but it might be worth some research.

joefoss

Syntor X

I can easily cut back the deviation. If needed, I can change on the filter for a 2.5 Khz band pass. I have been receiving 2.5 KHz on my VHF unit with slightly reduced audio. I do not have the low-band manual, but I think the VCO is the same. I don' care about the higher frequencies. 10 meter is as high as I want to go on this one. I do have one all set up for 6 & 10. Seems these Syntors work very efficiently on 10 as I am getting out about 125 Watts with 90 watts on 6. I think I will adjust the final filter so it will pass the 6 meter power better. Thanks for the input.
Joe

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, I knew a guy that had one of those in his truck running 10 meters and 6 meters. Nice set up if you can deal with the limited channel capacity.
I remember tweaking my VCO pretty easily and it turned out well. Hope it works for you!

mancow

Database Admin
In my opinion the X9000 is the best product they have ever built. I wish I was as talented as some here at coding. I would love to see an Arduino or Netduino interface with a remote display like the Uniden project. Coupling a modern user interface with these things things would be amazing.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, except they weigh a ton, and I can't even begin to imagine where you would mount one in a modern compact car. Those things were great when cars had a trunk the size of a small apartment. Dropped one on my foot once. Really lucky I didn't break all the bones in my foot. Ended up walking funny for a few days though.

Status
Not open for further replies.