• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola MaxTrac 300

Status
Not open for further replies.

aschenavar

Just purchased one from a buddy who is a HAM junkie.. $75 programmed, with mounting bracket and speaker mic, 16ch 40watt

Just curious...I dont think I got taken on the price, but whats your opinions on the radio itself..and I understand its not Narrowband capable..

what kind of options or expandability do I have with this kind of radio (5pin btw)

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
It isn't a bad radio at all, my first radio was a Radius M216 which is pretty much identical to what you have.

Maxtrac and Radius Mobiles Have a look there, it is a pretty good resource with lots of information about the Maxtrac/Radius line.

One thing though, if you connect an external speaker do NOT short the wires or ground them or anything other than directly to a speaker. It'll blow up the audio section of your radio. I learned that the hard way.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I use a GM300 VHF in my Polaris Ranger UTV. Nice solid radio, no annoying bells and whistles, just a good solid radio. As they are not narrow band capable, you can pick them up cheap. $75 programmed isn't a bad deal. You can buy them used on e-Bay for $50 or less, but you'd have to pay someone to program them. Not a bad deal you got.

Lots of cheap accessories out there.
If you are not going to use it for a repeater, then there is nothing at all wrong with a 5 pin radio. External speaker will help with the audio for sure. You can buy speakers on line, and find the 5 pin connectors on e-bay and make your own.
Spare microphones are cheap and plentiful.

Not a bad radio for Ham use.

w2smw

It all depends what you are using it for, narrow banding is not going to cause a problem with amateur radio, if you are using it for other services you have a year to use it if you are going to transmit legally with it.

WX9EMS

They are excellent radios for what they are and nearly bulletproof to boot (besides having to program them if you want new channels). I own 1 VHF D34 and used to own a D44 UHF, did the upgrade to 32 channels on both. My D34 serves as my APRS/Winlink radio now. Would not hesitate to pick up another. As far as narrow banding, no worries in the 2 meter band.

aschenavar

Well I got it in with little to no problems, sounds pretty good for the price I paid, and seems to do well even on this little quarter wave I have..I even figured out how to set 2 priority channels in my scan list just from reading a little bit online..pretty happy I think

Status
Not open for further replies.