• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Maxtrac programming error

DatedGore

I am trying to program two Maxtrac radios. I had bought an aftermarket cable on Ebay and had been wanting to program these two radios. They both give me the same error so I am unsure of what is going on. I am running windows XP and using dos box. The error is error #5 No Power. Which is confusing to me as they both obviously have power. Maybe it is something else?

DatedGore

Yeah, use a real DOS PC, RIB and cable and you'll have success.
These radios came out when Regan was in office and an 80386 was the fastest PC you could buy, Bill Gates was pushing Windows 2.0. They are that old.
So you do think its a computer issue? I've seen dozens of people program these with windows 7.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
So you do think its a computer issue? I've seen dozens of people program these with windows 7.
Uh yeah. The key to success with ancient radios is to use the supported operating systems and hardware. Yes, I know this is challenging, but having serviced these radios professionally for 30 years, experience taught me well. Never had a problem with any Maxtrac/Radius booting to a DOS kernel from a boot disk, run the RSS off a 16 bit DOS partition, used a genuine RIB and cable.

While one can muck around with DOSBOX, cheap cables, one can also waste a bunch of time. The RSS timing is very sensitive about having exclusive access to the serial port. Windows anything interferes with this.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm running an old Windows XP laptop. I use a program called Rufus which sits on a USB thumb drive. I have the laptop set up to boot of the thumb drive first.
I have the RSS on the thumb drive, also.

The laptop has a real RS232 port. I'm using an aftermarket "Ribless" cable to program GM-300's.

Have not had any issues with that setup. I've used the same thing to program old HT1000's

DatedGore

Uh yeah. The key to success with ancient radios is to use the supported operating systems and hardware. Yes, I know this is challenging, but having serviced these radios professionally for 30 years, experience taught me well. Never had a problem with any Maxtrac/Radius booting to a DOS kernel from a boot disk, run the RSS off a 16 bit DOS partition, used a genuine RIB and cable.

While one can muck around with DOSBOX, cheap cables, one can also waste a bunch of time. The RSS timing is very sensitive about having exclusive access to the serial port. Windows anything interferes with this.
Ok thank you

DatedGore

If anyone is still reading this thread, I had just noticed something. The "mon" display light turns off when I put it in a mic clip, what does this indicator light mean and what does it mean when it's lit up/not lit up?

DatedGore

I'm running an old Windows XP laptop. I use a program called Rufus which sits on a USB thumb drive. I have the laptop set up to boot of the thumb drive first.

The laptop has a real RS232 port. I'm using an aftermarket "Ribless" cable to program GM-300's.

Have not had any issues with that setup. I've used the same thing to program old HT1000's
I will try this next thanks, I had not seen this message until now

DatedGore

your a lifesaver! its working now

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
If anyone is still reading this thread, I had just noticed something. The "mon" display light turns off when I put it in a mic clip, what does this indicator light mean and what does it mean when it's lit up/not lit up?
When in a clip, the PL or DPL is enabled and the radio stays silent until a proper signal is received. Once removed, carrier squelch or monitor is enabled to allow the operator to comply with FCC rules about monitoring a frequency before transmitting. I don't recall if that feature can be disabled on those models like it can on more modern ones. See here for probably way more information than you need!: Hang-Up Mechanisms Used By Motorola Hand Microphones

DatedGore

When in a clip, the PL or DPL is enabled and the radio stays silent until a proper signal is received. Once removed, carrier squelch or monitor is enabled to allow the operator to comply with FCC rules about monitoring a frequency before transmitting. I don't recall if that feature can be disabled on those models like it can on more modern ones. See here for probably way more information than you need!: Hang-Up Mechanisms Used By Motorola Hand Microphones
Thank you :)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If you are just using these for receivers, you can make an RJ-45 plug that jumpers pins 3 and 4 (ground and mic hook) and it will act like the mic is on the hanger without the mic being connected. A good option if you need to run PL/DPL on the RX side.

DatedGore

If you are just using these for receivers, you can make an RJ-45 plug that jumpers pins 3 and 4 (ground and mic hook) and it will act like the mic is on the hanger without the mic being connected. A good option if you need to run PL/DPL on the RX side.
Thank you, I have two of these and I did plan to use one for recieve only, I will have to do this. Once again thank you all for the good information

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

Ditto, booting Rufus off a thumb drive works fine.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber

While its possible to program these on newer hardware, In my service shop I baby our 486 machines for these vintage radios and keep 3 spare dos machines to replace it when it dies. We tried the route of newer hardware and ALWAYS come back to a pure old dos machine with real serial ports and proper UART timing.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Newest I use is a Core 2 Duo machine that boots DOS 7.1 (stripped out of Windows 98). Machine dual boots Windows 7 32 bit...

KC1NNI

Premium Subscriber
Hi there, I have this Maxtrac 100 with a a usb serial converter for this radio from ebay. I am using dosbox to run the MCS and can not for the life of me get it to connect. I cant seem to get the com port in MCS to change from com1 to com 2 which where the radio is plugged into. any advice is greatly appreciated

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
You're asking a platform that was mature 30 years ago to work with USB? Seriously?

I'd expect lighting to strike my winning powerball ticket before I'd expect to ever see a Maxtrac dinosaur program over USB.

Just no. I'd expect only failure if attempting that. Radios that were built before USB was invented will always do far better when programmed with a real serial port. (With RIB and suitable cables, most likely.)

KC1NNI

Premium Subscriber
okay I am new to this and the ebay listing said It was the right cable, can anyone point me in the right direction to find a rib interface and the right software. I did minimal research and was hoping the usb cable was the new fix to program