Motorola Maxtrac

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for a Maxtrac that can monitor the Railroads ATCS freqs which are in the upper 800's-mid 900 Mhz. I've heard this is a good radio to use, but I don't know which one to get. I need one that already has the discriminator tap installed (which I believe they all do). Does anyone know which one would be a good one for me? Are these radios user programmable or do they have to be taked to a radio shop?

Thanks!
Nick

P.S. - If anyone knows any other good (cheap) radio that can monitor theses frequencies and has a discriminator tap already installed, please let me know.

Last edited:

KG4ZPD

I'm not sure if Maxtrax's has it installed already. Another good radio is the Motorola Spectra or the Ericcson Orion 800 Mhz radios. (I believe both require the discriminator to be installed) They both require programming by either you having the software and equipment to do it, or take it to a radio shop, but thats when you might run into problems. I'll let you know if I find anything elde out

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your help. I don't know if I'm just going to use a scanner or a radio. I just got 2 new BC92XLT's yesterday so I may just put a tap in one of them.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, there are so many radios I didn't know which one would do what I needed it to do. Thanks for your help!

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.