• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola MCS2000 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I am going to be switiching a couple MCS2000 radios to narrow band, but have mainly done vertex's up until now, I have the cable and RIB, but would appericate any advice tips/tricks you could offer, also I got a RIB-Less one for the CDM1250 I have to program, where should I supply power to the power wires on the cable from?

Thank You in Advance!!!!

OVER.....

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Your RIB-Less cable is drawing it's power from your computer, thus no need for the RIB.

One thing I do with all my display radios is make the display center justified. Just a personal preference.

Nasby

Is there a setting in the RSS for center justified or does it have to be done on a per channel basis?
I like the center justified look too!!
I'm doing an HT1250 for a friend and I wanted to set it up that way.

gbunch2012

Premium Subscriber
I have problems with programing my MCS2000 I am using windows XP and soft ware Ro1.17.11 when I read radio it gives me a pop up that reads codeplug too new for this application then unable to unpack block vector for external radio blk, then pass 11 - unable to transfer block vector for external radio blk from Cpdb to db any help?

jsikora

You cannot program a MCS radio with a CDM programming cable. It uses a different pin configuration. A Motorola RIB and a slow computer with real serial port is the only way to do a MCS without crashing something. I have many in service for SAR and have tried many configurations and stuck with my old XP just for these radios.

jsikora

Sorry re-read you message and see you have the proper cable. All other items about slow, serial port and proper parts apply above. I actually read the radio with my old XP laptop then open it on my W7 computer to make changes then put back on the xp to write.

gbunch2012

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the reply, That was my quandary, I have a older lap top that runs in XP and a computer that also is in XP that I program My SAR radios with. But these were donated to us from the Nevada Highway patrol. and so I need to change the program.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
MCS2000 CPS will run just fine on a modern computer, but the CPS is only officially supported up to Windows Vista, all of this is documented in the hardware requirements found in the READ.ME file packaged with CPS:

=========================================================================
MCS2000 Customer Programming Software R02.03.00
=========================================================================

- VISTA (32-bit) with Service Pack 1 is now a supported operating system!
(see 'For VISTA Users' section below)

- Tutorials format has changed. Previous versions of the Tutorials
will NOT work with this version of the CPS. It is recommended to
install the tutorials with this CPS version

- If both portable and mobile CPS's are used, it is recommended to update
both at the same time, and tutorials should be installed with BOTH versions.

New CPS Features Supported:
===========================

- This version includes following enhancements to the Advanced System Key:
(1) version Control
(2) Same Master Key for MTS2000/MCS2000/ASTRO Saber & XTS3000/ASTRO Spectra/ASTRO 25 CPS.
(3) New Access Level "Unlimited Access without Write Protection".
This would give Unlimited access in the CPS.
(4) Password Protection

- Import functionality at node level

For VISTA Users:
================

The following configuration on Vista Home Premium and Business Premium
needs to be set for the CPS to function properly:

1. Vista Theme should be set to Windows Classic. Codeplug archive names should not exceed 30 characters.

2. A Vista compatible printer is required for using the Print functionality in the CPS.

3. User Access Control should be turned OFF before using CPS.

So the need for a "slow computer" would mean something up to Windows Vista, Windows Vista minimum requirements:

• Windows Vista Home Basic
    • 800-megahertz (MHz) 32-bit (x86) processor or 800-MHz 64-bit (x64) processor
    • 512 megabytes (MB) of system memory
      Note On system configurations that use system memory as graphics memory, at least 448 MB of system memory must be available to the operating system after some memory is allocated for graphics.
    • DirectX 9-class graphics card
    • 32 MB of graphics memory
    • 20-gigabyte (GB) hard disk that has 15 GB of free hard disk space
    • Internal or external DVD drive
    • Internet access capability
    • Audio output capability
So there you have it, this is what MCS2000 CPS is SUPPORTED to run on. It will NOT run on any 64 bit version of Windows. It will run on any machine that can run XP or Vista as outlined in the requirements listed above.

gbunch2012

Premium Subscriber
OK then I need to find some firm wear that is R02.03.00 or newer to use. I will be looking unless some one can tell where to get it.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
You don't need firmware, you need the current (and latest) CPS. Since it is a violation of the forum rules to post links to it, I won't go there. But I will say if you LOOK you can FIND it.

Google is your friend. Enough said.

Quickcall

Premium Subscriber
A RIB-less cable will NOT work with the MCS2000 in my experience. Much safer to try with a RIB instead of bricking the unit.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I've used the RFGuys model 33911 RIBless cables with varying results. It all comes down to the drive voltage to put the radio in bootstrap to accept a write, and most serial ports don't have enough, therefore the radio won't respond and go into PROGRAM mode. That same cable works fine with my desktop PC. It all comes down to the differences between serial ports.

This is why a powered RIB works every single time. I use my factory RLN4008E without a problem with the one MCS2000 I still own.

Status
Not open for further replies.