• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola MCS2000 type III

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronwork

I just purchased the above radio in 800mhz on eBay for a really good price. My concern is that the radio has been returned once bc the seller was unable to program the radio. Is there something that could be wrong with the radio that it would be unable to program. Can this be fixed? If so would there be any large cost. Is it possible the radio is no good. Any insight on this would be great. What are the potential problems I'm looking at here. I don't plan on programing the radio myself but taking it to a radio shop. The seller advised the radios were in service with the hospital district but the removed the software they had programmed on it.

gatekeep

FAIL 01/93
Premium Subscriber
Chances are the seller couldn't program the radio because people were attempting to put it on a trunked system...

Yes you CAN do 800mhz conventional of course, but MOST 800mhz radios are used on a TRS.

phillydjdan

Could also be that the software version they were trying to program the radio with was older than the version that was last used to program the radio. I know it won't work if you try to program it with older software.

aaronwork

My agency is on a 800mhz trunking system. Does this mean I won't the radio won't work for me?

nrembis

Could also be that the software version they were trying to program the radio with was older than the version that was last used to program the radio. I know it won't work if you try to program it with older software.

I think the latest MCS cps has been in the wild long enough that its now easy for most to get ahold of, more likely the radio was programmed with an advanced system key at one time.

RKG

My agency is on a 800mhz trunking system. Does this mean I won't the radio won't work for me?

In order to program a trunking MCS2000, you will need either (a) to have the radio programmed by the system operator for your system or (b) a copy of the System Key file for that system installed on your computer. Generally, system operators do not give out copies of the System Key file.

aaronwork

That should not be a problem. It's being programmed by the radio shop that does all the radios for our agency. MY worry is still that something might be defective on the radio and it won't program.

aaronwork

Model Number

I got all the numbers... can anyone tell me what I'm looking at now with these.

Model# M01HX+832W

ID# M01UGN6PW6BN

Mfg Code# 0000080000002

Thanks again for all they help. I am very new to this and not educated on radios. I am a police officer trying to figure out what I need to operate.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I just purchased the above radio in 800mhz on eBay for a really good price. My concern is that the radio has been returned once bc the seller was unable to program the radio. Is there something that could be wrong with the radio that it would be unable to program. Can this be fixed? If so would there be any large cost. Is it possible the radio is no good. Any insight on this would be great. What are the potential problems I'm looking at here. I don't plan on programing the radio myself but taking it to a radio shop. The seller advised the radios were in service with the hospital district but the removed the software they had programmed on it.

what was the source if you don't mind me asking? there are a ton of MCS2000 800's on brokenstolenradios.com aka Ebay that were hit with an advanced system key, and thus, are totally worthless- unless you some forbidden subject tools.

that's the problem with GREEDBAY. It's a crap shoot like Vegas. You may wind up with a great deal, or a door stop. I would avoid any seller that has the famous "can't test=doesn't work/as-is" disclaimer.

aaronwork

I have posted all the radio numbers above. They didnt post until later due to my post have to be approved before posted. Can anyone tell me about the radio now that I have those numbers posted. I have done a model number search and a few things say programmable. What does this mean?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
what you posted says it's an MCS2000 800MHz, flashcode decodes to H38 Smartzone operation. Anything further would have to come from the seller, or be gleamed from reading the radio with programming software to determine what it was last programmed with. If it's been programmed with an ASK (advanced system key), than it is forever locked to the original system it was programmed on.

as far as programming, you'll need MCS2000 CPS V2.03, a RIB, cable. You will then find out if the radio has been programmed with an advanced system key upon reading the radio's codeplug. If it has, then the radio CANNOT be programmed without the advanced system key originally used.

that's the problem with EBAY. Too many sellers have NO IDEA what they are selling.

cjrd1993

mcs2000 800 model III

I have also bit the bullet and got a "good deal" on a model III 800 MCS that will allow me to read, but no writebacks. How can one tell if an ASK was used on it? Doesn't seem, at a glance, that it will tell you if there was one used...only allows one to be loaded if needed. Not sure what to do. Once read, I load my system key, add the system, features, associated personalities, and it attempts to program. Seconds into the programming, with the screen showing CSQ, it stops, reposts, and no change at all. Any insight?

Status
Not open for further replies.