• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Minitor 4 Pager

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hello I have a few questions that I am hoping anyone on here can help me with.

I am from Ontario Canada.

I am just wondering if anyone from Ontario would have a codeplug for ambulance for this Motorola Minitor 4 Pager.

Also I am having a little issue with this pager on getting it to beep for our ambulance. It is a 2 Channel pager. On one channel I have it set for one city with the 2 TONES (A & B) and when they get a call it BEEPS like it should. But for our ambulance here where I am from I have it set up the exact same way with the 2 TONES (A & B) that they use here, which is different tones than the other place. But when I have it sitting on Channel B (which is set up for our ambulance page out here where I live) and when they get a call I hear nothing come across on channel B, it is totally dead. Don't hear anything at all. But when I change it over to Channel C or D (which is OPEN MODE) I hear the call but NO BEEP. In the settings I have it set to USER MODE. I did have it on Motorola Mode first and when that didn't work, I changed it over to USER MODE and it is still not BEEPING when we get a call.

So I am just wondering why I am not hearing it BEEP for our ambulance page out here when I am hearing it BEEP for the other city I have programmed in it, which is on CHANNEL A. And like I said CHANNEL B is set up the same way here as it is for that other city in CHANNEL A but with different tones (since everyone uses different tones A & B.

So maybe would it be because our ambulance guys here would be using SELECT CALL CODES or TONES as well on top of the A & B TONES on their pagers. If that might be the case would anyone know how many SELECT CALL CODES or TONES there is to choose from.

If anyone on here would know maybe for sure why I am not hearing no BEEP on my pager when our guys get a call let me know.

So I can make changes in the settings if I need to, to get it to BEEP when they get a call.

So I will be waiting for any replies to this post from anyone on here.

Thanks.

Coolguy

NCFire11

Hello I have a few questions that I am hoping anyone on here can help me with.

I am from Ontario Canada.

I am just wondering if anyone from Ontario would have a codeplug for ambulance for this Motorola Minitor 4 Pager.

Also I am having a little issue with this pager on getting it to beep for our ambulance. It is a 2 Channel pager. On one channel I have it set for one city with the 2 TONES (A & B) and when they get a call it BEEPS like it should. But for our ambulance here where I am from I have it set up the exact same way with the 2 TONES (A & B) that they use here, which is different tones than the other place. But when I have it sitting on Channel B (which is set up for our ambulance page out here where I live) and when they get a call I hear nothing come across on channel B, it is totally dead. Don't hear anything at all. But when I change it over to Channel C or D (which is OPEN MODE) I hear the call but NO BEEP. In the settings I have it set to USER MODE. I did have it on Motorola Mode first and when that didn't work, I changed it over to USER MODE and it is still not BEEPING when we get a call.

Some of your post is a little confusing, but it sounds to me like you have entered the incorrect tone frequency for the second channel.

If I were you I would recheck the second channel frequency as well as the tone frequency for the "ambulance"
You might as well use USER mode for both channels, they allow you to get the most precise tone frequency that you need.

So I am just wondering why I am not hearing it BEEP for our ambulance page out here when I am hearing it BEEP for the other city I have programmed in it, which is on CHANNEL A. And like I said CHANNEL B is set up the same way here as it is for that other city in CHANNEL A but with different tones (since everyone uses different tones A & B.

So maybe would it be because our ambulance guys here would be using SELECT CALL CODES or TONES as well on top of the A & B TONES on their pagers. If that might be the case would anyone know how many SELECT CALL CODES or TONES there is to choose from.

Selective call just refers to the pager being silent until the correct A/B tones are received, there are no other selective call codes or anything that precedes the tones.

SCPD

QRT
Sorry about it being confusing. I tried to explain it the best I can lol.

I don't think I have entered the incorrect TONE Frequency. If you are refering to the A&B tones. I have them entered in correctly. I have checked it twice, because the first time I had it set to Motorola Mode and that didn't work, so I changed it to USER MODE and that still doesn't work. And while I was doing this I checked over everything else to make sure it looked right and it did. And the paging freq we use is entered in right.

And I can't remember if I have Select Call enabled or whatever on the pager. I will have to check the next time I do it. And so the Select Call probably won't have anything to do with me not hearing anything on CHANNEL B and also not hearing the pager BEEP when dispatch puts out a page call.

So is there anything else I can try or maybe I might be doing wrong. Because like I said on CHANNEL A (I have another city on there) and when they get a call, the pager BEEPS like it should. And for CHANNEL B (which is for here where I am from) I have it set up the exact same way, except for obviously having the A&B Tones different than in CHANNEL A. So I dunno what I am doing wrong, why it is not BEEPING when we get a call.

So I will be waiting for any replies to this post.

Thanks again.

TFC301

Usually channels A and B are the same channel. (At least for the pagers I have) To see if they are the same, hold down the reset button when there is a call for channel A.

Channel C is another, or it scans the two channels.

Hope this helps.

nrembis

use silent scan or non-priority scan for alerting on 2 channels....priority scan decodes no tones on 2nd channel so it will never alert....selective call is for stored voice function.

SCPD

QRT
Ok. In my pager I have. CHANNEL A: Is one city that is 2 hrs away from me. CHANNEL B: Is for our ambulance crew here where I live. CHANNELS C & D: Are WIDE OPEN or suppsed to be, just like as if it was a scanner and listening to the pager frequency.

When you say hold down the reset button when a call comes through for that other city that I have in CHANNEL A. You mean hold it down on CHANNEL A or CHANNEL B. And when I do this. What is it supposed to do.

And I should use either silent scan or non-priority scan on both of my CHANNELS A & B, or just on CHANNEL B, which I am using here for our ambulance crew. And what is the difference between SILENT SCAN and NON PRIORITY SCAN.

Ok so I don't have to worry about the SELECT CALL at all then.

If there is anything I need to do or maybe try to get it to BEEP for me on CHANNEL B. Let me know.

I will be waiting for any replies to this post.

Thanks again.

DPapay

If the first channel alerts like you say, then the pagers tone decoder is working. If you say you can hear the dispatch for the second frequency, but the pager does not alert, then the problem would be one or both of the tones you have programmed. If you have access to another pager that works, then you could read that one and verify the tones.
SelCall means the pager will be "muted" until it sees the tones.
If you are trying to scan the channels, it could be possible that the pager is not stopping on the channel quick enough to properly decode the tones. Try setting it to F2 only.
Silent scan means the pager stays muted, until it sees a carrier and tones on the two frequencies. The pager may not always alert as above.
Non-pri scan works like a scanner.

SCPD

QRT
Yah here in Ontario we only use one frequency for the pagers.

On CHANNEL B: Which is for our crew here where I live. When I have it sitting on CHANNEL B and they get a page. I don't hear anything come across. It is totally dead. I don't hear dispatch putting the page out. It is like as if the pager is turned off.

As for the tones A & B, I used my scanner, sat on the pager frequency, plugged in a cable from the scanner to the computer and then used a program to get the A & B tones when dispatch puts out a test page every morning. And that is the same way I got the A & B tones for the other city that I have in CHANNEL A, when that city got a page out. So the tones should be right.

And yah no I do not have access to another pager to check that out at the moment.

I can't remember, but maybe is it cuz I have SELECT CALL on CHANNEL B that might be the reason for not hearing anything.

Because when our crew gets paged out and I am on CHANNEL B and I hold in the RESET BUTTON while the page is going through I can hear it, but otherwise I hear nothing like I said as if the pager is shut off.

I think CHANNELS C & D are in scan but can't remember. So if CHANNELS C & D are in scan maybe this might have something to do with why I am not hearing anything at all on CHANNEL B.

So if anyone on here still has anymore ideas that I can do, might need to maybe change or try let me know.

I will be waiting for any replies again to this post. Thanks everyone.

NCFire11

Yah here in Ontario we only use one frequency for the pagers.

On CHANNEL B: Which is for our crew here where I live. When I have it sitting on CHANNEL B and they get a page. I don't hear anything come across. It is totally dead. I don't hear dispatch putting the page out. It is like as if the pager is turned off.

As for the tones A & B, I used my scanner, sat on the pager frequency, plugged in a cable from the scanner to the computer and then used a program to get the A & B tones when dispatch puts out a test page every morning. And that is the same way I got the A & B tones for the other city that I have in CHANNEL A, when that city got a page out. So the tones should be right.

And yah no I do not have access to another pager to check that out at the moment.

I can't remember, but maybe is it cuz I have SELECT CALL on CHANNEL B that might be the reason for not hearing anything.

Because when our crew gets paged out and I am on CHANNEL B and I hold in the RESET BUTTON while the page is going through I can hear it, but otherwise I hear nothing like I said as if the pager is shut off.

I think CHANNELS C & D are in scan but can't remember. So if CHANNELS C & D are in scan maybe this might have something to do with why I am not hearing anything at all on CHANNEL B.

So if anyone on here still has anymore ideas that I can do, might need to maybe change or try let me know.

I will be waiting for any replies again to this post. Thanks everyone.

If you only use one frequency, why are you trying to program in channel 2? If you are programming the same frequency on both F1 and F2, that's going to cause problems.

Program channel F1 only with the RF frequency then program the main 2tone you want as the first call, then program the "ambulance" as the second call. Then you will have to use duty switches if you want it to alert on certain function switches(ABCD)

SCPD

QRT
The pager I have is a 2 Channel pager. So obviously I am going to program in 2 sets of tones A & B like I did. Where like I said CHANNEL A: Is one city that is 2 hours away from me with one set of A & B TONES and CHANNEL B is for our crew here from our tower and has different A & B TONES than CHANNEL A for that other city.

And what I can remember when I programmed it quite awhile ago now on the software the paging frequency which is RX ONLY was only entered in once. So I don't think this is the problem.

What I can remember as well on the software on F1: that is where I have the A & B TONES for that city that is 2 hours away from me. F2: I have the A & B TONES for our crew here from our tower. F3 & F4 is WIDE OPEN with NO A & B TONES.

And I have no idea what duty switches are. Never heard of them.

So maybe does it have to do with having 2 sets of tones in this pager which is causing the problems. Because that is why I got a 2 channel pager so I can have 2 sets of A & B TONES in it for one city and for our crew here off of our tower. Or is it cuz one of the issues you guys have mentioned. If so let me know so when I check out the pager next week with the software. I can maybe try one of the things you guys have mentioned.

So I will be waiting for any replies to this response. Thanks again.

TFC301

"Usually channels A and B are the same channel. (At least for the pagers I have) To see if they are the same, hold down the reset button when there is a call for channel A."

I meant to say hold down the reset button when there is a call for channel A on channel B. But you are hearing your crew on channel B when there's a call, only if you press the reset button, right?

"Because when our crew gets paged out and I am on CHANNEL B and I hold in the RESET BUTTON
while the page is going through I can hear it, but otherwise I hear nothing like I said as if the pager is
shut off."

This is good. It seems it's something with the tones. Is that channel set to alert mode?

"Selective call - the pager is quiet until the paging tones 'open' the radio...usually referred to as 'page'
mode.
Alert mode - the "beep, beep, beep" the pager makes when it is paged.

This is how the website below shows how they set their pagers:
A - F1, selective call, alert mode.
B - F1, selective call, vibrate mode.
C - F2, selective call, alert mode.
D - Scan, monitor mode, alert mode.

This was taken from: Motorola Minitor 4 pager "

SCPD

QRT
Ok. Because I have used this same program to get the A & B TONE for our crew off of our tower here that I got for the other city that is 2 hours away from me and that A & B TONE for that other city that I have in CHANNEL A works. And everytime I used this program to check the A & B TONE for our crew here from our tower when they do the pager test most mornings. I am always getting the same A & B TONE. So I dunno.

And like I said before I had it in MOTOROLA MODE and then changed it to USER MODE. Would this have anything to maybe do with it. Let me know.

And yah when there is a page for our crew and when I am on CHANNEL B and hold down the RESET BUTTON I will hear the call, but if I don't hold it down I hear dead air like I said.

And yah that is what I am trying to get it to do, is to BEEP BEEP BEEP on CHANNEL B when they get a call and also trying to get it to have VOICE on it as well when a page comes in for our crew other than not hearing nothing on it.

So if it is not like this, I should maybe put or try:

F1 and F2: SELECT CALL & ALERT MODE
then just put F3 or F4 as: Scan, monitor mode, alert mode

Let me know if maybe I should try this or any other suggestions anyone might have.

I will be waiting for any replies to this post. Thanks again.

TFC301

The Motorola Mode and User Mode are to set the paging tones, like if they are Plectron, Zetron, GE, Type 99, you set it to User Mode. I think it'd be best to set it to User Mode (See thread below)
It shouldn't make a difference.

"So if it is not like this, I should maybe put or try:

then just put F3 or F4 as: Scan, monitor mode, alert mode"

F1 and F2, Positions A and B, yes.
Positions C and D, Either C as Scan, Monitor Mode, Alert Mode and D as Monitor Mode, Alert Mode to whatever channel is most important to you.
I Don't think you can set both C and D to scan, it's either one or the other. (Don't quote me on this)

Check out this thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/motorola-forum/202503-minitor-pagers-coding-options.html

I use this Video every now and then,
Motorola Minitor 3/4 Programming - YouTube

mformby

Have you considered taking it to a Motorola dealer, tell him exactly what you are trying to do, and let him do it? They normally only charge $45 to program a pager. There may be something wrong with the receiver sensitivity of the pager also. They can check that to eliminate that variable.

The Motorola Mode and User Mode are to set the paging tones, like if they are Plectron, Zetron, GE, Type 99, you set it to User Mode. I think it'd be best to set it to User Mode (See thread below)
It shouldn't make a difference.

"So if it is not like this, I should maybe put or try:

then just put F3 or F4 as: Scan, monitor mode, alert mode"

F1 and F2, Positions A and B, yes.
Positions C and D, Either C as Scan, Monitor Mode, Alert Mode and D as Monitor Mode, Alert Mode to whatever channel is most important to you.
I Don't think you can set both C and D to scan, it's either one or the other. (Don't quote me on this)

Check out this thread: http://forums.radioreference.com/motorola-forum/202503-minitor-pagers-coding-options.html

I use this Video every now and then,
Motorola Minitor 3/4 Programming - YouTube

SCPD

QRT
Ok. On Thursday is when I will be able to try some things with the pager. So after I try some things like you guys have mentioned. I will let you know sometime on Friday or Saturday if it worked. And also I will write down how it is set up in the software and post it here so, if what I try still doesn't work. After what I post from how I have it set up in the software. Maybe that will tell or show you guys maybe what I am doing, setting up or entering in wrong.

So the next time after that if I have to go back and try some things again with my pager. Maybe I will know what I am doing wrong, if I am doing anything wrong at all.

And yes when I have it set to USER MODE, the A & B TONES that I have entered in, change a tiny bit. But not much. If this means anything.

And on my pager. CHANNEL A: (which is for that city 2 hours away from me) and CHANNEL B: (Which is for our crew here off of our tower. Are the 2 MAIN channels that are important to me. CHANNELS C & D are not really important. So since CHANNELS A & B are important to me and CHANNELS C & D are not. What would be the best option then for me to put in CHANNELS C & D if I decided to switch to them sometime. Let me know.

I will be waiting for any replies to this post. Thanks again everyone.

TFC301

"And yes when I have it set to USER MODE, the A & B TONES that I have entered in, change a tiny bit. But not much. If this means anything."

No, it's just rounding the number to the closest, for lack of better word, "correct" tone in one of the tone groups. It did the same thing when I programmed my tones on my radio, and it alerts as it should.

"And on my pager. CHANNEL A: (which is for that city 2 hours away from me) and CHANNEL B: (Which is for our crew here off of our tower. Are the 2 MAIN channels that are important to me. CHANNELS C & D are not really important. So since CHANNELS A & B are important to me and CHANNELS C & D are not. What would be the best option then for me to put in CHANNELS C & D if I decided to switch to them sometime. Let me know."

This is how i'd try it:
POSITION A F1: Select Call & Alert Mode
POSITION B F2: Select Call & Alert Mode
POSITION C: Non-Priority Scan, Monitor Mode, Alert Mode
POSITION D: .....Monitor Mode, Alert Mode..... to whatever channel (F1 or F2) you want.

I hope it Works.

SCPD

QRT
Ok and yah I will try one of those options on Thursday and see either later on Thursday night if our crew gets a page or Friday morning if they do there usual morning pager test.

And after that I will post on here again to let everyone know how I have it exactly set up in the software and if one of the options you guys told me to try works or doesn't work. So then if it doesn't work. We can go from there and maybe think of what else to try or whatever for the next time (if I have to play with the pager again).

So thanks again and will get back to everyone on here either sometime later on Thursday night, Friday morning or anytime after that when our crew gets a page or if and when they do there usual morning pager test.

SCPD

QRT
Ok I went to see my friend again who has the software to do pagers and knows about them and did a little fix up of my pager yesterday (Thursday the 12th) and here is how I got it set up in the software and now in my pager:

User Data: Channel F1 Tab:

Channel F1: Freq: 149.440
Call Tone:
Coding Option: STD
On/Off Duty: Disabled
Call 1: Tone 1: 953.7
Tone 2: 879.0
Duty: On (but it is in a grey box where you cannot change this option)
System: Motorola
This one is for our crew here off of our tower where I live

Channel F2 Tab:

Coding Option: STD
On/Off Duty: Disabled
Call 1: Tone 1: 788.5
Tone 2: 879.0
Duty: On (but it is in a grey box where you cannot change this option)
This one is for the tower from the city that is 2 hours away from me

Model Option Tab:

Priority Scan F1: OFF
Alert Duration: STD
Call Reminder: OFF
Priority Alert: OFF
Privacy: OFF
Reset Function: Manual
Squelch Level: 4

Function Switches:
Option:
SW-A: 2
SW-B: 3
SW-C: 0 (Monitor)
SW-D: 12 (Scan)

This morning the 13th when our crew got there usual morning pager test, I had it sitting on CHANNEL A (which is for our crew off of our tower here) and after how I got it set up like I showed above. I still never heard anything come through, this CHANNEL was still dead. But what I forgot to say before was I am still hearing that other city come through on CHANNEL A and when they get a page call it beeps on CHANNEL A for them, and obviously on CHANNELS B-D as well. But nothing for our crew.

So my friend said to me that he is pretty positive my pager is set up correctly. And he then figures that why I am still not hearing anything come across when our crew gets a page call is because:

A: They have it set up here as a GROUP CALL. So our crew here is hearing the exact same calls I am hearing as well. Unless they only have ONE CHANNEL in there pager and not 2 like I have.

B: For some reason maybe since the B TONE are the same for here and that tower from the city that is 2 hours away from me. Maybe are conflicting with each other. So it is making it BEEP for that city that is 2 hours away from me instead of BEEPING here when our crew gets a page call. And that is why I am hearing dead air still when our crew gets a page call on CHANNEL A (like how I have it set up that I showed in the beginning of this post).

So for anyone one on here. Would the reason be why I am still not hearing anything on CHANNEL A when our crew gets a page call is because of the A & B options that I just posted above. Or if I have something set wrong in the settings that I posted in the beginning of this post or something in the settings that I should of set to something else. Let me know.

So the next time I go and see my friend to once again try something else with my pager I can try, do or fix it again then.

So I will be waiting for any replies from anyone on here to let me know what I might still be doing wrong, right, need to fix or to change in the settings or what else to try.

Thanks again

TFC301

Are Both Crews using the same Freq: 149.440?

"I had it sitting on CHANNEL A (which is for our crew off of our tower here) and after how I got it set up like I showed above. I still never heard anything come through, this CHANNEL was still dead. But what I forgot to say before was I am still hearing that other city come through on CHANNEL A and when they get a page call it beeps on CHANNEL A for them, and obviously on CHANNELS B-D as well. But nothing for our crew."

From what it sounds like to me, they are using the same frequency 146.440, and the tones are programmed on different channels.

If they are using the same frequency, try to put the tones for your crew where you live on the same channel as the city two hours away.

"A: They have it set up here as a GROUP CALL. So our crew here is hearing the exact same calls I am hearing as well. Unless they only have ONE CHANNEL in there pager and not 2 like I have."

Group call is usually a Long tone for about 8 seconds.

"B: For some reason maybe since the B TONE are the same for here and that tower from the city that is 2 hours away from me. Maybe are conflicting with each other. So it is making it BEEP for that city that is 2 hours away from me instead of BEEPING here when our crew gets a page call. And that is why I am hearing dead air still when our crew gets a page call on CHANNEL A (like how I have it set up that I showed in the beginning of this post)."

Even though the B TONE is the same, the pager is looking for both sets of tones (Tone 1 and Tone 2) to alert.
That's kinda how our pagers are programmed here.

Hope this works.

SCPD

QRT
Yes that freq 149.440 is the paging freq for the whole province of Ontario. All of the ambulances use this freq for their pagers.

Ok. I don't think putting the exact same TONES into CHANNEL B as well will help. Because if it isn't working in CHANNEL A and then putting the exact same thing into CHANNEL B. It will do the same thing like it is doing now when I am sitting on CHANNEL A when our crew gets a page call. Where I don't hear anything at all. Still dead air, like the pager is shut off or when no one is talking.

Ok. Maybe those 2 B TONES are not conflicting with each other since they are the same.

Hopefully I can sometime get it to work.

And if anyone else on here has any other suggestions. Let me know. So I can see if there is anything else I can try or fix with how I have it set up now. Let me know.

I will be waiting for any replies from anyone on here to this post.

Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.