• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Minitor V help

Status
Not open for further replies.

codymw623

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

I have a few questions about my Motorola Minitor V pager that i have. The pager i have is a 2 channel uhf pager with stored voice. I have a question about the squelch settings on the pager. I have two frequencies programmed into the pager currently. On the selector knob i have channel c and channel d set as scan channels and also as a monitor f1 channel. When i select the scan or monitor frequency i hear nothing but scratchy and weak signals. I tried adjusting the squelch to all the different levels and no improvement. I even tried selecting the wide band or narrow band and no difference. Is there a way to fix this. All the frequencies are in the correct range that pager can accept. When i had a motorola minitor v one channel i had no problems with receiving transmissions, they came in clear all the time. If i touch the pager when its talking it seems to receive the transmission a little clearer but not much. Is there something wrong with an internal component?

Thanks.
Cody

codymw623

Premium Subscriber
also if i may add some more details. Today i took the pager and step outside my house and the signal came in some what clearer. I live in a county that has a lot of different terrains and trees. So i am not sure if the signal is getting blocked. But when i had another Minitor V it never did that and the signal always came in clear. Our 911 System has 16 towers in the county for maximum communications for the county. I just feel that its not the county radio system causing the problems with the pager and that there is some sort of problem with the pager itself. I just find it weird that when i travel across the county the signal is crystal clear and when i am at my house you cant hear anything on it.

Is it possible the firmware or the antenna inside the pager. Any one have any suggestions.

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
I have heard a lot of people complain about reception issues with that particular pager; someone told me that there were two people standing right next to each other (same model pager, same frequency), one receiving fine, the other not picking up anything at all (in monitor mode). It may possibly be the pager itself.

codymw623

Premium Subscriber
Right now i have the pager with me at my work, which is 10 miles away from my house and the signal of the pager is crystal clear. I just find it really odd.

firecop97

We Have 45 minitor V pagers. From what i have found there is no way way to figure out when or were they wiil be clear or not. I have been told that the minitor V was not designed for narrow band they just modified it to work. Your freq will tell you weather it is wide or narrow band. With ours the squelch has never seemed to change anything.

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
Min V Issue

Sounds like you've got an issue with the physical Pager itself. I've had 0 issues with mine on Scan, Monitor etc. I'd send it into your Radio Shop, see if they can fix it, if not then send it to Motorola... They will most likely send you a new one anyways...

Good luck.

trwmodela

Professional Pager Repair

I shipped my four pagers and they did a cleaning, tuneup and testing on them. The price is very reasonable for the amount of work done. It includes many parts if required. It did take a few weeks before they were shipped back to me. They were good with telephone and email communication.

Professional Pager Repair

BTW: I am in the mountains of North Carolina for the summer. I am using both a Minitor IV & V for UHF 453.3500 (Macon County Fire Dispatch). They use different towers to transmit from depending on the section of the County. Tower #1 which I am closest to is very strong and clear 24/7. There is one place in my RV on the dinette table close to window that does not receive well and breaks the squelch. But other wise the pagers are receiving and toning out calls well.

Last edited:

codymw623

Premium Subscriber
Ok here is an update. I messed around with the pager some more. I went into the Engineer setting of the pager and changed one of the crystals. The pager actually comes in clearer now, accept when i am inside a house. Which could be cause by interference from electrical components inside the house, (Tv boxes, phones and ETC) but it seems when i step outside the signal is clear now. So i guess changing the crystal on the engineering data might have done something. Not sure

billforbush

Premium Subscriber
Ok here is an update. I messed around with the pager some more. I went into the Engineer setting of the pager and changed one of the crystals. The pager actually comes in clearer now, accept when i am inside a house. Which could be cause by interference from electrical components inside the house, (Tv boxes, phones and ETC) but it seems when i step outside the signal is clear now. So i guess changing the crystal on the engineering data might have done something. Not sure

If the reception improves outside the house, you might want to try a Motorola amplified charger. We have had good results using the supplied 18" antenna and even better if connected to a rooftop external antenna. Also amplifies the audio improving clarity and volume.

Bill

krokus

Premium Subscriber
How long ago did you have the previous Minitor V? How have things changed in, on, and near your house since then? (Different siding on the house. New electronics in your or the neighbor's house. New building(s) between you and the transmitter. Etc...)

Has the transmit site changed?

Tech792

I've had plenty come into my shop with these same symptoms. While feeding a signal and tapping the pager, the signal would drop in and out and come back. Its internal in the pager. Plus you said, you never had any problems until you switched pagers.
Send it back to the depot and they'll swap it out for a new one. If its still under warranty, it won't cost anything. If I remember correctly, out of warranty is about $78.

Status
Not open for further replies.