• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola MT2000 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahagan

I just bought a Motorola MT2000 for work. I would like to get a speaker mic with the antenna to boost reception. I'm looking for at the motorola version of it. The questions I have is

1) Does it actually help reception?
2) Can any stubby VHF antenna for on the speaker mic

I may have more as time comes, thanks in advance.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Motorola never officially supported the public safety mic for use with VHF radios because of matching concerns. They're OK for UHF and higher but people have reported being able to use them on VHF. I've never tried it so can't offer any more insight other than any stubby at VHF would definitely not improve your signal.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Not to mention how silly you'd look with a large vhf whip hanging off your shoulder.

Gahagan

We have bad reception in our town, with the radios we have now dispatch can't hear us though we have a repeater on our tower in town. I'm just looking for ways to be able to reach it.

Nasby

Get yourself a Motorola VHF dipole antenna with the red screw.

That should help you.

alf2109

Premium Subscriber
We have bad reception in our town, with the radios we have now dispatch can't hear us though we have a repeater on our tower in town. I'm just looking for ways to be able to reach it.

FWIW, I've been using Motorola PSM & stubby VHF for over a decade. Originally with MT2K, then MTS2K and now XTS2500. We operate on a conventional VHF repeater system in the 150s mhz range. Since the radio is on my belt, the PSM mounted stubby performs better than a standard antenna where my body would be absorbing the RX thereby diminishing the signal.

KF5YDR

Get yourself a Motorola VHF dipole antenna with the red screw.

The VHF wideband antenna isn't a dipole, it's a base-loaded quarter wave. A VHF dipole would be more than a yard long. :p

The 800MHz long antenna that looks similar IS a dipole, so I understand the confusion, but they're totally different antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.