• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P1225/M1225 Motorola P1225 hand held just beeps on xmit

Status
Not open for further replies.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Out of the blue, when I try to xmit on this older (probably early 90's) Moto P1225 hand held, all I get are a flashing red & audible beeps. I initially thought it was a antenna issue (high swr), but not so, it does in on it's one rubber duck antenna. I'm figuring the CPU xmit section is messed up somehow.
I have the Service Manual on this, but I don't see ant 'reset' function. I removed the battery pack for a few minutes, but no change. I have it sitting in it's charger, power off, connected to a outdoor VHF antenna (tuned), it's rarely used. Receive is Ok.

Any ideas?

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Not very familiar with this model, but I suspect either the battery is failing to provide full power or the synthesizer isn't locking. Are you transmitting on a frequency at or near the edge of the radio's frequency range?

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
It's powered from the drop in charger/PS.
No to the question.

I discovered it yesterday, checking for something else. Today, I went to use by Bird 43 and amazingly all was fine. I checked a few more frequencies, still Ok. I remover the 43, connected it back up and the problem returned. back to the meter in line, same thing. I checked the fittings & adapter, nothing. Connected the stock antenna, same thing.
The red LED flashes as it beeps with the radio xmitting all at the same rate.

I have their RSS PITA software, but I don't have a old PC to use it. It needs a pre 2k processor to work, anything newer is too fast for the program to run. (No, I'm not making that up.) I have to borrow a Win 98 from a friend.
BTW, I have 2 of these, the other is in my car and that's ok.

Last edited:

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
But, I've operated it in the charger before with no issue. I'll let it sit off and do a full charge and see what happens.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
But, I've operated it in the charger before with no issue. I'll let it sit off and do a full charge and see what happens.
The charger can not provide enough current to run the radio without the battery PERIOD. Either use a power supply sufficient to operate the radio or try a known good battery.

a417

Full charge on a 9 y/o battery, good luck!

The p1225 is easy to use jumper clips and an appropriate voltage/current rated power supply in a 'battery eliminator' capacity, not what you are doing.

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator

Depending on the chemistry of the battery and number of times you've done that you may have accelerated the demise of the battery. But 9 years is old for a battery anyway.

I'm still going with it's a bad battery. ;)

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
For most of it's life with me, it was used as a 'hand held'. This weird xmit situation never happened before that I can remember.
Yes, it is old for a battery pack, it this seemed like it was behaving like a M$ O/S. :rolleyes:

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
pretty much anything beyond 3-4 years and it is time for a new battery at any point, regardless if it has only been charged a few times or not. ni-cad and ni-mh develop memories and the fact it is charged fewer times makes no difference. yes ive had factory batteries last 7+ years, but that is the exception not the rule.

musiclistener

Out of the blue, when I try to xmit on this older (probably early 90's) Moto P1225 hand held, all I get are a flashing red & audible beeps. I initially thought it was a antenna issue (high swr), but not so, it does in on it's one rubber duck antenna. I'm figuring the CPU xmit section is messed up somehow.
I have the Service Manual on this, but I don't see ant 'reset' function. I removed the battery pack for a few minutes, but no change. I have it sitting in it's charger, power off, connected to a outdoor VHF antenna (tuned), it's rarely used. Receive is Ok.

Any ideas?
Did you check to see in the programming that transmitting box was checked?

Status
Not open for further replies.