• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola PM400 Programming Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wv8mat

Hey everyone, just got a quick question, I just my new PM400 today, sat down with the software, and my ribless cable, and tried to program it, guess what Error 512, connect rib, power on radio, check connection. i have the correct ver of the software, the cable is a all in one that i got from ebay that does mobiles and portables. now i know some of you are already going what the crap was he thinking but it works on all my portable and my cdm and maxtracs. what do i do know.

oh and when the mic is in the radio, it keys the test channel just fine.

thanks

matt

K4APR

Hey everyone, just got a quick question, I just my new PM400 today, sat down with the software, and my ribless cable, and tried to program it, guess what Error 512, connect rib, power on radio, check connection. i have the correct ver of the software, the cable is a all in one that i got from ebay that does mobiles and portables. now i know some of you are already going what the crap was he thinking but it works on all my portable and my cdm and maxtracs. what do i do know.

oh and when the mic is in the radio, it keys the test channel just fine.

thanks

matt

Is the radio BRAND NEW from Moto? If so, are you SURE you have the latest CPS? Many times, we would get a batch of brand new radios in and could'nt read or write to them because they had a new codeplug version for default and a new version of CPS was required, but we were un-aware. Usually upgrading to the latest fixed the problem.

I can't say that is the fix for sure, but sure sounds like what we ran into many times. Left hand not knowing what the right is doing.

wv8mat

no i got it from a guy here on RR so i will send him a message and find out what he had to use on it, i know when you turn it on, it has test only and b-chan and c-chan and thats it,

thanks

wv8mat

what is the difference, i saw the diagram from batlab and it shows "boot" wire is a difference, is that all ?

thanks

KX5MOT

The CM200/CM300/PM400 uses a slightly different cable than the CDM/Maxtrac. Pins 6 & 8 need to be shorted on the RJ45 for the radio to be in programming mode for the PM.

wv8mat

well i went ahead and ordered a new cable hopefully in a few days i can let everyone know if that was it or not, thanks

wv8mat

ok so i got my new cable and when i goto read the codeplug the message i get is something about the verison not supported. so i am to assume that means i need a new ver of the software, so my question is can i write a older firmware to the radio to get my software to work.

Thanks

Luis_R

ok so i got my new cable and when i goto read the codeplug the message i get is something about the verison not supported. so i am to assume that means i need a new ver of the software, so my question is can i write a older firmware to the radio to get my software to work.

Thanks

Don't think so.

wv8mat

well thats no good, how does buying software work with moto, i mean its not like i click buy it now and pay and download. or is it. i cant seem to understand that moto website.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
When you buy CPS, you would normally get a "subscription". You could then download updated software for as long as the subscription is valid.

BATTALION33

Motorola pm400 programming

hi im new to this site i had a question i just bought a uhf pm400 from ebay and found out a had a problem?
first of all im trying to use a rib box? im guessing im not supposed to do it that way ? and im using a rib cable for a CDM (rib box style?) can anyone help me out ? what is the correct procedure ?

KX5MOT

Well you didn't state what the exact problem was but as stated above the PM400 uses a different programming cable than the CDM series. While it does require a RIB, the CM/PM series uses it's own different RIB-to-radio cable.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
hi im new to this site i had a question i just bought a uhf pm400 from ebay and found out a had a problem?
first of all im trying to use a rib box? im guessing im not supposed to do it that way ? and im using a rib cable for a CDM (rib box style?) can anyone help me out ? what is the correct procedure ?

Please, don't you think if you have a problem that you ought to tell us what the problem might be?

Second, as the poster above stated, the CDM cable won't work. You need the cable designed for the the CM/PM series. There are several newer threads on this issue that clearly and fully discuss it.

Third, you need the right software. The Pro Series for the CDM's won't work. You need the Commercial Series CPS.

Fourth, you need the same revision level or higher of the CPS that the radio is currently programmed with. Using an older, lower revision will not work.

firefive76

Please, don't you think if you have a problem that you ought to tell us what the problem might be?

Second, as the poster above stated, the CDM cable won't work. You need the cable designed for the the CM/PM series. There are several newer threads on this issue that clearly and fully discuss it.

Third, you need the right software. The Pro Series for the CDM's won't work. You need the Commercial Series CPS.

Fourth, you need the same revision level or higher of the CPS that the radio is currently programmed with. Using an older, lower revision will not work.

In reference to the "Third," Pro CPS is the correct CPS for the CDM series. Commercial CPS does the CM/PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.