• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

firechaser97

Im a firefighter at a volunteer company in a rural area. we are lowband on a single channel frequency. I’m looking into buying a two way radio for my pov n I’ve done just a little bit of research on Motorola. 2 way radios in general. I’ve read u would need a system key for p25 but what about lowband UHF/VHF?

drsn0w

System keys are only needed for trunked radio systems. Anything conventional can be programmed without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GarretRR

A system key is only needed to program a Trunked system which you shouldn’t be doing on your own anyway, only let your communications manager program that. For low band VHF P25 or trunking isn’t used anyway

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
A system key is only needed to program a Trunked system which you shouldn’t be doing on your own anyway, only let your communications manager program that. For low band VHF P25 or trunking isn’t used anyway

I mean, there could be. There are in fact about 20 P25 capable low band repeaters in the wild right now…but there aren't currently any P25 low-band subscribers currently (may change with Kenwood's new low band offering on the NX platform).

petnrdx

Programming a low band is very unlikely to be an issue.
Look for a Maxtrac if under dash and 60 watts will do.
Look for a Maratrac or M400 if you want 110 watts and "rear" mount.
If you are serious, I would recommend the Maratrac / M400.
In low band the noise is the distance limiting factor.
Having a radio that transmits 3 dB more power can help a little.
Either radio should be pretty inexpensive.
Like $70 to $100 for a good Maxtrac, and $100 to $200 for a Maratrac.
They are both really exactly the same radio inside.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Im a firefighter at a volunteer company in a rural area. we are lowband on a single channel frequency. I’m looking into buying a two way radio for my pov n I’ve done just a little bit of research on Motorola. 2 way radios in general. I’ve read u would need a system key for p25 but what about lowband UHF/VHF?

There are a couple of things that you need to do -before- you buy a radio.

First, and foremost, the FCC is very specific in the rules that the licensee is the only one who can authorize adding radios to a system. Simply being a member, employee, volunteer or otherwise, does not authorize you to add a radio to the fire departments system. You need to have written authorization from the licensee. The licensee may be your county, state, agency, city, etc. You need to talk to your chief about that, get his/her OK and make sure you get it in writing. You, yourself, are not licensed, the agency is.

Second, you need to find out the details about the radio system. Without knowing that, it's pointless to be looking at radio. While a "single channel frequency" should be easy, there's a lot to it, and without the specifics, you'd be making a wild guess about what type of radio to purchase. Getting the right radio for the application is necessary. We're happy to help, but you'll need to provide the specifics.
You'll need to know:
-Transmit frequency
-Transmit squelch code (CTCSS, DCS, DPL, PL, QT, DQT, RAN, CC etc.)
-Receive frequency
-Receive squelch code (CTCSS, DCS, DPL, PL, QT, DQT, RAN, CC etc.)
-Power output that the license authorizes. (TPO or ERP)
-Channel deviation/bandwidth
-Emission mode, analog, digital, if digital, what mode?
-Any PTT ID that your department/dispatch requires.
Also, very important, you need to make sure the radio you get has FCC type certification for Part 90 operation. Cheap Chinese radios rarely have this, sometimes they say they do, but don't, sometimes the certifications are falsified. Amateur radios don't have it. Operating under your agencies license requires you to follow all the FCC rules, including those that dictate radio type certification. Again, no waiver for volunteers, fire departments, rural areas, or "I'll only use it in emergencies". Failing to follow all the rules puts the agencies license at risk, as in fines that they probably cannot afford.
Old/out of date radios may not meet the narrow band requirements that went into effect in 2013 for most VHF High and UHF frequencies, so you need to be cautious about buying used radios. Used radio might be fine, but it needs to be the right one.
Band split for the radio is also very important. Many low band and UHF radios have multiple models to cover the entire band, as in one radio will not cover all of it. Simply buying a "UHF" or "Low Band" radio may not be sufficient, it needs to cover the correct frequencies. You can't modify it if you get the wrong one.

Third, you need to pick the correct antenna. Licenses will often specify an ERP, or Effective Radiated Power. ERP is related to transmitter output, feed line loss and antenna gain. Just grabbing a random antenna is not the correct approach. Antennas are band specific and in many cases need to be specifically tuned not only to the frequency in use, but the specific installation.

Forth, you need to get the radio programmed properly. Key is "properly". Many people can program radios, but when it comes to public safety, it needs to be done correctly, especially when lives are on the line. There are many settings that need to be correct and for most of them "close enough" doesn't work. Getting the radio professionally programmed can save you a lot of headaches and prevent interference to other users.

Fifth, it all needs to be installed correctly. If you are looking for a radio that is going to work well, it's pointless if it is not installed correctly. Cigarette lighter plugs are not a good option for many reasons. The radio will not work correctly if the antenna is not properly installed and tested. Cutting corners on any of the install will cause unreliable operation, which in your application, can have catastrophic consequences. Not impossible to do it on your own, but it takes time, skill and the correct tools. A properly installed radio will provide years of reliable use.

A couple of other things I'd suggest:
Find out what model radios your agency is using in their vehicles. Getting a matching radio can be a good idea. First, you can use the same, or slightly modified, programming file for yours. Finding out who does the radios for your agency can speed the process.
It also means that familiarity with the department radios will carry over to your own.

Same with the antennas, find out what they are using and use the same. It'll meet the license requirements (or should) and is probably a proven performer if they are happy with them.

Make sure the agency doesn't have any plans to change the system. While it may be unlikely, make sure there isn't some future plan to covert to digital, or a regional trunked system. No point in investing the money if it's going to be useless in a few years.

Consider a scanner. Much more flexible. While you won't be able to answer back, it will give you some options the transceiver won't have, like larger scan capacity, multiple bands, front panel programming, etc.

Once you find out what frequencies you need, consider looking at surrounding agencies. You can legally program their channels in a receive only, which might be useful. If VHF is used, consider programming in NOAA weather channels. Various interoperability channels can be programmed in as receive only, also.

Antennas are very, very important. Don't spend $300 on a radio and then slap a $20 mag mount antenna on your vehicle and expect it to work like a $300 radio. The antenna is the most important part of the system, and cutting corners there is going to severely impact performance. Like the radio, skip the Chinese/Amateur/hobby grade junk.

Done right, it can all work well, but it's not as easy as some think. There's a lot of help here, and you can do this with the right information. Just make sure your ducks are in a row with the authorization from the licensee.

Last edited:

K2NEC

Programming a low band is very unlikely to be an issue.
Look for a Maxtrac if under dash and 60 watts will do.
Look for a Maratrac or M400 if you want 110 watts and "rear" mount.
If you are serious, I would recommend the Maratrac / M400.
In low band the noise is the distance limiting factor.
Having a radio that transmits 3 dB more power can help a little.
Either radio should be pretty inexpensive.
Like $70 to $100 for a good Maxtrac, and $100 to $200 for a Maratrac.
They are both really exactly the same radio inside.

Hold the phone! Why Maxtrac???? They are old radio's and use an even older program to program them. Why not something like the Waris series? They are great radios and program with windows 7. Also parts are a lot easier to find for a CDM than a Maxtrac.

petnrdx

But the older Syntor X-9000 is OK?
I suggested the Maxtrac and Maratrac for the cost and availability.
Even the CDM's are getting pretty old.
Quantars must be close to 30, we still recommend those too.
Easier to repair the Maxtrac/Maratrac.

K2NEC

But the older Syntor X-9000 is OK?
I suggested the Maxtrac and Maratrac for the cost and availability.
Even the CDM's are getting pretty old.
Quantars must be close to 30, we still recommend those too.
Easier to repair the Maxtrac/Maratrac.
CDM's are newer than the Maxtracs. And easier to maintain
I doubt OP is going to bend over backwards to get the programming for a Maxtrac

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
CDM's are newer than the Maxtracs. And easier to maintain
I doubt OP is going to bend over backwards to get the programming for a Maxtrac

CDMs just left depot support. The last few years I’ve been dealing with EPROM failures on those radios which requires changing the 44 pin SMD chip out.

K2NEC

CDMs just left depot support. The last few years I’ve been dealing with EPROM failures on those radios which requires changing the 44 pin SMD chip out.
1-2 years past depot support is better than 10+ years past support.
And the Waris series I believe is the last series to make low band radios. And EEPROM errors are from programming not the actual radio itself. I should know. I bricked a radio but I fixed it and none of it required changing anything (unless I am dumb and we are talking about completely different things).

mancow

Database Admin
The memory fails and needs replaced. We've had several HT1250s that had to be fixed.

KD4FUN

Premium Subscriber
Greetings, I am also in a Rural FD and I have recently purchased a Motorola CDM 1250 Maris Radio for my POV. Very pleased with its overall performance. we are on VHF 154 Mhz. Can be a challenge to program with Windows 10 but it can be done.

K2NEC

Greetings, I am also in a Rural FD and I have recently purchased a Motorola CDM 1250 Maris Radio for my POV. Very pleased with its overall performance. we are on VHF 154 Mhz. Can be a challenge to program with Windows 10 but it can be done.

Speaking from experience I love my CDM. Probably the best mobile radio I have used. Blows any MaxTrac out of the water

Status
Not open for further replies.