• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola radio modem/station printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocguard

If you've read my second most recent post, you'll begin to notice a trend of municipal firefighters "nursing" an antiquated system of components with the know-how they can bring together, and equipment that can be "acquired." This post will be similar.

While this problem mainly revolves around a PRINTER, the hub of the operation is a Motorola VRM, so I'll hope that the good graces of the forum admin and the brain power that never fails will keep this post a success.

Our station printer is connected to a Motorola VRM 800. The printer, upon reciept of a dispatch, prints out the dispatch ticket on one side, and a street map of the associated firebox area on the other side. We have one of the few VRM/printer combos in the city that continue to operate (the city has decided not to support dispatch printing anymore, but the data stream continues to feed our modem).

To make a long story short, the Genicom Microlaser 210 printer that has always been used to print information from the VRM has lost it's battle with the elements of a firehouse.

Our hopes are to take a Xeros Phaser 3600 printer and plug it into the VRM, and keep on plugging. My question is, once I acquire the cable needed to make the connection, will this be a "plug-and-play" operation, will the new printer pick right up where the old one left off? Or will settings within the new printer need to be tweeked to match settings in the old printer. Since there is no PC involved in the process, I'm just not sure if the radio modem will "talk" to the printer in a way where it will be able to operate as situation normal.

As usual, any input is greatly appreciated.

Mr_Observer

The VRM uses a standard RS-232 serial port to connect with DTE usually this means a computer but apparently in this case its a printer. The VRM is capable of operating and affialiating to the network with no DTE attached. You can see this by the lights on the front of the unit. So the printer will need the proper RS-232 settings programed into it at a minnimum this will allow it (the printer) to talk to the modem itself. Additionally there may be software and configuration in the printer that is required to allow the print payload to pass through to the printer. As I am not familler with that printer I couldn't say for sure. If you know the RS-232 settings for the printer you can program them into the VRM with the WINRSS CPS program from Motorola. I would look at the system components that are sending the print job accross the network to better understand what configuration will be required at the modem/printer end.

Hopefully your agencies are in the process of updating to a newer data network because the old RNC based data systems are no longer supported and if yours loses a critical component it could be done for good.

MR_O

Status
Not open for further replies.