• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Radios with PTT Sidetone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astro25

Most any conventional radio that is capable of SOME form of ANI (DTMF, MDC, FleetSync, etc) will have a side-tone when the ID is set to Pre.

If you're looking for the "triple beep" talk permit tone common on Motorola trunking products, then your options are a little bit more limited.

bReed11091

I was looking for a triple beep like the XTS portables do on a trunked system. Even though I would prefer that, I'm not that picky. Are the Sabers capable of a triple beep TPT, and if so, is it limited to only certain types of Sabers? And can you set it up for only certain frequencies or is it a radio-wide setting?

I was looking for a triple beep like the XTS portables do on a trunked system. Even though I would prefer that, I'm not that picky. Are the Sabers capable of a triple beep TPT, and if so, is it limited to only certain types of Sabers? And can you set it up for only certain frequencies or is it a radio-wide setting?

As far as I know, the "trick" of making the triple beep on any type of channel is with the HT1000. Possibly the MT2000. Since HT1000 RSS is used for the JT1000 and the VISAR, then I am sure those radios do it. It is a trick though. You tell the radio to send three DTMF ANI tones (aka 111) at Pre. You set them to about 25ms on, 25ms off. Then you change the side tone from the actual DTMF to 900Hz tone. So then it makes it sound like the Trunking Talk Permit. The three DTMF tones are sent, but since they are such a short duration, most radios filter it out if they have PL or DPL, and while testing, I have found DPL filters it a lot better.

I know many radios can do the constant tone when MDC is sent over Pre. But if set only to post, then there is no beep to let you know the radio is transmitting (that is how my Spectra is). I know some newer radios have a tone that is always sounded when the radio keys up, but i am pretty sure it isn't like the triple beep.

Does anyone know how to make the Spectra do some type of "transmit tone" that isn't constant or at least doesn't require a Pre MDC (I only use Post MDC).

Hope that helps! :)

immelmen

The only way I have ever heard of to get the true "triple beep" TPT without being on a trunking system is to set up an Astro25 radio to treat a Quantar as a DVRS on a conventional personality. So to get this to work you will need your XTS5k and be talking through a Quantar...or through a DVRS, since that is what it was originally intended for.

When you PTT the 5K pings what it thinks is the DVRS and waits for an acknowledgment that the system has opened up the repeater. When the ACK is receved the radio gives the same trunking "be-be-beep" that so many people are are in love with.

W2NJS

The Motorola TRBO radios can do a true Invitation To Transmit triple beep when set to both FM or TRBO modes. The feature is selectable in the radio and does not get set up via computer programming. It's not a modified anything; it's a true triple beep that is exactly the same as is heard when starting a transmission on a trunked system radio.

Last edited:

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
The only way I have ever heard of to get the true "triple beep" TPT without being on a trunking system is to set up an Astro25 radio to treat a Quantar as a DVRS on a conventional personality. So to get this to work you will need your XTS5k and be talking through a Quantar...or through a DVRS, since that is what it was originally intended for.

When you PTT the 5K pings what it thinks is the DVRS and waits for an acknowledgment that the system has opened up the repeater. When the ACK is receved the radio gives the same trunking "be-be-beep" that so many people are are in love with.

I tried doing this and it worked, except it gave me an invalid field on my scan list selection under the conventional personality. i tried making that scan list a talkgroup and priority monitor types and still no go had to select the scan list to none to clear the invalid field. do you know why the cps does this?

Status
Not open for further replies.