• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Radius P1225 "dummy Load"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFire11

Is there a way to make a dummy load for the radius p1225 so that i can Tx on a certain frequency without transmitting over the whole county.

I dont really want to pay $30 for nothing but metal.

I dont know exactly how they work but i know that they absorb the power being output during Tx so that it isnt transmitted as far(usually within ~10 ft)

I was going to just take a bolt that has the same threads used on the P1225 and screw it in but i didnt know if that would just basically act as an antenna or what.

I have been Tx'ing without an antenna to test pagers but ive heard that is bad for the radio.

This is the threading:

ANT-MOT004.jpg

Thanks!

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
That only dissipates 1 W, is that enough?

This one dissipates even more then, doesnt it?

05-01215 - BNC-Male 75-Ohm Dummy Load Termination Coax - eBay (item 360106159702 end time Mar-05-10 06:48:38 PST)

That is a 75 ohm termination. Hit that with 5 watts out of you portable after you figure out how to connect it to a BNC and it will be toast.

Really a lot depends on how long you expect to TX and the duty cycle. Personally I wouldn't do less than a 20 watt dissipation capability or 10 watts if I know that I will only be transmitting for a few seconds every 3 to 5 minutes.

N

N_Jay

No. 75ohms is not right, but not far enough off to hurt anything.

You want a 50 ohm, and 1.5 to 2 times the output power of the radio.

What are you trying to do?

N

N_Jay

That would be a good start.

If you can program the radio down to minimum power, it would be even better.

NCFire11

Eh, dont have the cable or software, so that doesnt help, can you find me a terminator that fits my needs, (hopefully from ebay)

Thanks

NCFire11

Nope it needs to be portable.

And it looks like that thing would easily break one of the adaptors or the port on the radio so..

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Didnt ask for you to be a smartass..

The only reason i dont like it is because it is so bulky.

Touchy..touchy...touchy...remember you came to US for advice.
If you don't like the answers, which are technicially sound, then go somewhere else.

N

N_Jay

Nope it needs to be portable.

And it looks like that thing would easily break one of the adaptors or the port on the radio so..

Why portable.

If you are testing pagers put it at the other end of a short piece of cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.