• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola RDX business 2-ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

cartman

I have encountered a technical glitch with an Icom and one of the newer Motorola RDX radio's. It seems these radio's use the Murz channels just as my icom does, only problem is there seems to be a PL or DPL sub-audible tone code I've been told in these Motorola's that prevents the Motorola user from hearing my icom, even though we're on the same frequency. Does anybody here on the forum have any idea where i can find such info because i suspect these PL or DPL codes could be any combination of numbers. My Icoms manual lists 100 different sub audible tone codes so it's anybodys guess what it could be. Anyhow, any and all suggestions welcome.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Ive read somewhere online that not all radio's will have the same PL's programmed in the same way, you can have your RDX on 192.8 "PL number 31" and your icom on the same thing and get no TX/RX and maybe an LED indicator that you have traffic on that frequency.

Its something i read up on the Wiki and cant really find that particular page of information but it does work when they are both CSQ obviously.. right?

If i could find it, it has a better way of explaining it then what I remember from reading up about it last year.

clanusb

Different companies have a somewhat different set up for PLs and DPLs.
Its dumb and it all should be universal but its not.

I would say your best bet is to grab a scanner with PL/DPL search and enable it. Then tune it to the freq you are using, and key up each radio and cycle through the PL and DPL tones. I would make a list for each radio only for the tones that I use the most, if i had extra time I would make a complete list for both radios that way I could always look them up on my chart.

Its a pain, I know, but what are you gonna do?

cartman

Ive read somewhere online that not all radio's will have the same PL's programmed in the same way, you can have your RDX on 192.8 "PL number 31" and your icom on the same thing and get no TX/RX and maybe an LED indicator that you have traffic on that frequency.

Its something i read up on the Wiki and cant really find that particular page of information but it does work when they are both CSQ obviously.. right?

If i could find it, it has a better way of explaining it then what I remember from reading up about it last year.

I appreciate the help, and thats exactly what I've noticed. The transmitt light on the RDX does change to yellow when I key up, but doesn't open up, and shows someones is talking. I had used a scanner to search for the frequency and when I found it thought all was well, but when I programmed it into mine radio and went to key, "nothing", no-go. If you run across that info send a link or something. But I thank you.

cartman

Different companies have a somewhat different set up for PLs and DPLs.
Its dumb and it all should be universal but its not.

I would say your best bet is to grab a scanner with PL/DPL search and enable it. Then tune it to the freq you are using, and key up each radio and cycle through the PL and DPL tones. I would make a list for each radio only for the tones that I use the most, if i had extra time I would make a complete list for both radios that way I could always look them up on my chart.

Its a pain, I know, but what are you gonna do?

I thank you for the suggestion. Are you by chance referring to a frequency counter with a PL DPL search feature or an actual Police/fire/EMS scanner. I've got a couple scanners but they aren't that suphisticated, if not I'll have to search around, I know a fellow who has a frequency counter, or I try "ebay"?. Anyway, thanks

SCPD

QRT
Need a scanner

I thank you for the suggestion. Are you by chance referring to a frequency counter with a PL DPL search feature or an actual Police/fire/EMS scanner. I've got a couple scanners but they aren't that suphisticated, if not I'll have to search around, I know a fellow who has a frequency counter, or I try "ebay"?. Anyway, thanks

You need a police scanner that can scan for the pl or dpl. I doubt a freq counter would work, it's gonna show the TX freq, not the PL freq, unless it had some sort of range setting. I've never heard of someone trying to read the PL with a freq counter, not saying it can't be done, just never heard of it.

Sounds like trial and error time for you. It shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes or so to keep one of the radios on the same PL, and run through 'em all with the other, until you hear something. Another thought would be run CSQ. I would imagine both radios can be set to that.

Astro25

Or if you have a half hour to kill on the subject, you can start programming the radio that you CAN program, trying a different PL each time (working your way up from 67.0hz.... )

cartman

Or if you have a half hour to kill on the subject, you can start programming the radio that you CAN program, trying a different PL each time (working your way up from 67.0hz.... )

Yeh trying all the CTCSS codes listed in my radio's owners manual crossed my mind, time consuming as you mentioned, but it is an idea. Someone on here sent me some PL codes for several Murz channels so I'm gonna give them a shot. Thanks for the help and still entertaining more idea's. The scanner idea sounds like it would work if I had one that would perform that function. Anyway thanks.

cartman

You need a police scanner that can scan for the pl or dpl. I doubt a freq counter would work, it's gonna show the TX freq, not the PL freq, unless it had some sort of range setting. I've never heard of someone trying to read the PL with a freq counter, not saying it can't be done, just never heard of it.

Sounds like trial and error time for you. It shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes or so to keep one of the radios on the same PL, and run through 'em all with the other, until you hear something. Another thought would be run CSQ. I would imagine both radios can be set to that.

I appreciate the suggestions. No, the frequency counter is a no-go. I checked with a dealer on ebay and those won't perform that function. I've gotten several suggestions on using a scanner with PL/DPL search capabilites, and I've seen other forum members on here with similar issues have had that suggested to them. I've got 3 unidens, but not sure if they'll do that. If you don't mind me asking, how would you use a scanner to search PL/DPL.

clanusb

If you don't mind me asking, how would you use a scanner to search PL/DPL.

first of all what scanners do you have?
make sure its a listed feature that they have. if they have it enable it, and tune it to the freq your using. when you key up a radio the scanner should flash the PL/DPL on the screen.

cartman

first of all what scanners do you have?
make sure its a listed feature that they have. if they have it enable it, and tune it to the freq your using. when you key up a radio the scanner should flash the PL/DPL on the screen.

As for my scanners, I've got all unidens, BC340C, the BC350C the uniden 92XLT handheld and BCT-8. From what I've looked into I think Uniden has 2, and Radio shack has a couple older models that will do PL/DPL search.

Status
Not open for further replies.