• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola RIB RLN 4008E help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlynn

I am trying to use a Motorola RIB to program an EX560xls I have the rib box attached to the serial port of my lap to using COM 2 I think. I keep getting an error message that says "An Error has occured in Procedure QueryOptBrdZone : Error 4: Couldn't open port. Confirm Device and RIB are powered on and Device to RIB and RIB to PC Connections are OK."

I have made sure all connections are tight and that the RIB has power using Passport CPS 5.02.03.

Can anyone help me with this I sure its something to do with the COM PORT just not sure what I have tried selecting both COM1 and COM2.

Thanks,

Mike

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
what operating system you running? go in your control panel and look at the device manager and see what the port number actually is.

mlynn

Windows XP when I open the device manager I see all the COM Ports but nothing indicates that the RIB is connected. I am not a very big computer guy I may be missing something.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
if this is a laptop you won't have many comports, one for the built in modem if it has one, and one for the on board or USB comport. goto each one and see what they are. as far as seeing the rib, it won't show in device manager, only the CPS will see it.

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
also, if your rib uses a battery, make certain you have a fresh hot one in it. a low battery will give you hell. i prefer to use the wall wort whenever possible.

cmdrwill

Do you have the correct cable from the serial port to the RIB. It IS an odd wiring pinout.

jim202

have you tried going into the Motorola software and looking to see which com port it is using? Most of the time, the computers use com1 for the serial port.

Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
To connect the RLN4008 Radio Interface Box, You need to have a DB9 connecter to go from the back of your serial port to the RIB.. Wherever you got yours from should have included the propper cable.

What model radios are you looking to program? The HT series professional radios can be programmed without the RIB. They offer two types of options. 1:USB cable and 2: DB9 (from out of your serial port) To the radio. When it prompts you for a port # via the CPS just select com port 1, There also may only be one setting you can select.

Now if you are looking to program the older radios.. eg: Motorola Radius M216 mobiles,Spectras or Maxtrac you need an older computer with a 486 pentium or less capable of DOS (all older motorola RSS is ran through DOS) Your RIB, DB9 Cable and lastly the specific cable to program your radio that hooks into the RIB. Most older mobile radio's like the radius and maxtrac use a universal cable to program them that hooks into the mic jack, The spectra series have their own specific cables used to program the low/high power models.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
To connect the RLN4008 Radio Interface Box, You need to have a DB9 connecter to go from the back of your serial port to the RIB.. Wherever you got yours from should have included the propper cable.

What model radios are you looking to program? The HT series professional radios can be programmed without the RIB. They offer two types of options. 1:USB cable and 2: DB9 (from out of your serial port) To the radio. When it prompts you for a port # via the CPS just select com port 1, There also may only be one setting you can select.

Now if you are looking to program the older radios.. eg: Motorola Radius M216 mobiles,Spectras or Maxtrac you need an older computer with a 486 pentium or less capable of DOS (all older motorola RSS is ran through DOS) Your RIB, DB9 Cable and lastly the specific cable to program your radio that hooks into the RIB. Most older mobile radio's like the radius and maxtrac use a universal cable to program them that hooks into the mic jack, The spectra series have their own specific cables used to program the low/high power models.
The HT series needs a RIB. The even the ribless cable contains a RIB. Use the USB cable and you are asking for problems.

Iron Triangle Ohio... otherweise known as Fostoria
I've got an HT1550 and have never had problems with the ribless cables. Most of the newer Waris series radio's all accept programming via ribless cable. Same goes for the GP-380 I have. I would agree that the HT1000 requires a RIB/cable. I guess I should have specified. The XTS series radio's are also capable of programming via ribless cable. But it's got to be the right specific ribless cable to program the radio's.

I am trying to use a Motorola RIB to program an EX560xls I have the rib box attached to the serial port of my lap to using COM 2 I think. I keep getting an error message that says "An Error has occured in Procedure QueryOptBrdZone : Error 4: Couldn't open port. Confirm Device and RIB are powered on and Device to RIB and RIB to PC Connections are OK."

I have made sure all connections are tight and that the RIB has power using Passport CPS 5.02.03.

Can anyone help me with this I sure its something to do with the COM PORT just not sure what I have tried selecting both COM1 and COM2.

Thanks,

Mike

I believe you should be using "Professional Series CPS" ver 6.12 is the latest, and verify your serial port is Com 1 and CPS is using Com 1 ( or Com 2, just make sue they are both the same)

Status
Not open for further replies.