• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola scanner???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffbryce1

Premium Subscriber
Would it be a good idea to buy a motorola radio and try to connect it to our local 800 trunked radio system? Is it possible to get rid of the transmit feature and just get it to scan? This way it would pick up every transmission and would not miss the first few seconds and be super clear? I need some ideas here. This 436HP is not doing the best with our 159.0900 frequency. It has a RS800 a tenna because I scan 800 frequency but it is having trouble picking up the 159.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's my understanding that most Motorola radios can be programed for receive only. However, working with a digital trunked system is problem. Apparently they need to be authenticated with the system, similar to a computer on a network, in order to function properly.

The stock antenna that comes with the BCD436HP is probably one of the worst you could use for 159.0900MHz. Have you tried another antenna, maybe one designed for 2m Ham band?

I would recommend something like the Diamond RH77CA (BNC mount), or the SRH77CA (SMA mount).

Diamond Antennas
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/2368.html

Last edited:

maybe get a VHF Mobile have 159.090 programed in it i have a NEW 2 channel Maxtrac in the box for sale this would be better than playing with a trunking radio.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

joeuser

The Wretched
That RS800 antenna is specific to the 800-900 range. You Might want to get the 15$ telescoping with center load. Comet makes good antennas also.

SCPD

QRT
It's my understanding that most Motorola radios can be programed for receive only. However, working with a digital trunked system is problem. Apparently they need to be authenticated with the system, similar to a computer on a network, in order to function properly.

The stock antenna that comes with the BCD436HP is probably one of the worst you could use for 159.0900MHz. Have you tried another antenna, maybe one designed for 2m Ham band?

I would recommend something like the Diamond RH77CA (BNC mount), or the SRH77CA (SMA mount).

Diamond Antennas
Diamond RH77CA SRH77CA Antenna

Using Motorola radios as a passive scanner opens a whole can of worms. It can be done but is NOT RECOMMENDED as the problems it could potentially cause may interfere with the system. If it's for trunking one method needs a system key and in some areas (including Minnesota) it's considered a crime to be in possession of it without authorization. They consider it as a computer hacking crime of something. Bottom line is to use a scanner and try to optimize the signal coming into it. As phase 2 hits, the older Moto's will be useless and getting a phase 2 radio is not cheap so a phase 2 scanner will be the only option. The good news is hopefully the scanner makers will make better scanners in the future (we hope). Yeah an APX series would be sweet, but taking out a second mortgage to pay for it ain't happening.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Well said, jwilson. It's refreshing to see someone explain the pitfalls of why programming a Motorola radio for a trunking system is risky business without resorting to lies and half truths.

i sent him a PM i have a 2 channel VHF Maxtrac he could use and stay away from trunking radios this is a NEW old stock never used i think would work for him?

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I would say that if you're asking the question here, you should probably just stick to a scanner...

Not meant to be insulting, but the intricacies of doing this may be above your experience level.

Ffbryce1

Premium Subscriber
I do understand. See I do have some connections and a Fire Chief I know has 1 trillion radios mostly motorola and scans everything within 50 miles of us. I do not see him often and when I do he is busy or we are talking business. He has already said he can program anything I want or help you do it. He is the one who suggested I get this 436HP. I am just not sure if he has everything he is talking about and if he is allowed to even do this.

N8IAA

I do understand. See I do have some connections and a Fire Chief I know has 1 trillion radios mostly motorola and scans everything within 50 miles of us. I do not see him often and when I do he is busy or we are talking business. He has already said he can program anything I want or help you do it. He is the one who suggested I get this 436HP. I am just not sure if he has everything he is talking about and if he is allowed to even do this.

Use an antenna meant for VHF and for the 800MHz systems you scan.
But, if you think that a motherola radio suits your needs and you can afford it, what the heck. Go and get one. You've already spent $500 on a scanner that will work quite well when used with the proper antenna.
Larry

fireguyastro

Premium Subscriber
Question , Are you going to use it for just analog conventional receiving? if so then yes you can use a Motorola radio , if your attempting to monitor a trunked system, then you are entering another realm of legality issues, you cant possess a system key without the sole permission of the system owner, if you get a trunked system hacked in to a radio if you get caught with it the fines and the consequences could be very severe.

Ffbryce1

Premium Subscriber
I see thank you, I will not be getting a motorola. The thing is it works great now on every channel except that one, its just the first second is always cut out.

DickH

I see thank you, I will not be getting a motorola. The thing is it works great now on every channel except that one, its just the first second is always cut out.

If you're near a large city, there may be a used two-way radio or used electronics store where you can buy a used Motorola or Johnson or GE radio that can operate on 159.09. If you use it at home you will need a 12 volt power supply, too.

joeuser

The Wretched
A free with all the above. You got a great unit, the 436 is very capable for your needs - you just crippled the VHF with the special 800 whip. For 15$ & a quick run to a Radio Shark - the telescoping center load antenna is really nice. There are discussions on these forums about the sections & best reception depending on which sections are collapsed. Good luck & enjoy.

Ffbryce1

Premium Subscriber
Thank you everybody this question has been solved. And to reply on the telescoping we are not ready to sink another dime into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.