• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola SL7590(e)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD5WEK

Good afternoon folks, I'm looking to upgrade my older 900mhz radio and was considering the SL7590. I know many commercial radios do not out of the box work on the 33cm ham bands, can this one be moved to work in the 33cm range with the use of software as previous models can? It would appear that it transmits on 896-941 MHz, splits are 896-902 MHz and 935-941 MHz. I do see it I little higher than the needed 927 for repeater work. Ant thoughts would be appreciated.

KD5WEK

The SL7000 series are digital (TRBO) only and won't do analog. So while it may be possible to modify the CPS to allow OOB programming, you're looking at a DMR only radio if your desire is to replace older legacy analog stuff like GTX, MTS/MTX, etc.
Awesome, this is what I was wanting to know, thank you!

K2NEC

I'm not sure what you are replacing or how much you are wanting to spend but if $300 isn't above your budget then I would go for an XPR7580(e). 806-941, accessories and software area relatively cheap and easy to come by and they are great radios that will last you a long time. As long as the firmware isn't R2.10 it can be modified to do out of band as well if you need to.

KD5WEK

I'm not sure what you are replacing or how much you are wanting to spend but if $300 isn't above your budget then I would go for an XPR7580(e). 806-941, accessories and software area relatively cheap and easy to come by and they are great radios that will last you a long time. As long as the firmware isn't R2.10 it can be modified to do out of band as well if you need to.
I had also looked at one of these as well, would be upgrading from an MTX9250.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber

Have you personally used a 7580e for ham radio? I have a standard 7580, and have always been told that the e model, unlike the other e models, cannot be modified to cover the ham bands.

N4KVE

Have you personally used a 7580e for ham radio? I have a standard 7580, and have always been told that the e model, unlike the other e models, cannot be modified to cover the ham bands.
Correct. The E is hard coded to only work in the commercial band. The 7580, or the 6580 will work great in the 902/927 ham band. 6580’s are under $100 these days. Grabbed a few at the Orlando ham fest for $50 each. But DMR 900 ham repeaters are very rare, so unless there’s one near you, I’d stick with the 9250, as it works very well at 902/927.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Correct. The E is hard coded to only work in the commercial band. The 7580, or the 6580 will work great in the 902/927 ham band. 6580’s are under $100 these days. Grabbed a few at the Orlando ham fest for $50 each. But DMR 900 ham repeaters are very rare, so unless there’s one near you, I’d stick with the 9250, as it works very well at 902/927.

That's what I thought. That's why I'm not sure why K2NEC said XPR7580(e). I have a standard one and it works great.

K2NEC

Oh...Interesting. I guess you learn something new every day. I figured since the out of band hack was more of convincing the radio to go out of band that it should work. I didn't know that the 7580e's were hard coded. Thanks for the correction guys

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Oh...Interesting. I guess you learn something new every day. I figured since the out of band hack was more of convincing the radio to go out of band that it should work. I didn't know that the 7580e's were hard coded. Thanks for the correction guys

Yeah, I had heard that a few other places. I was actually thinking about upgrading mine to the e, since there is a noticeable difference in reception, and then I heard that. All the other e models can be taken out of band (VHF/UHF) with no problem at all. It's just the 800/900 one that can't, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.