• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Smartzone work around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

minasha

I have a local motorola smartzone system that has many analog Tg's and only 2 P25 Tg's.
I programmed all 15 frequencies as Csq conventional channels and all the Tg's are working fine.
My question is: If I change all frequencies to p25 protocol instead of csq will I receive only p25 traffic?
Will it even work that way?

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber
From my experience no, because the talkgroup format is different. The G4/G5 relies solely on standard P25 talkgroup format for both P25 Conventional and trunked systems. I've tried everything I can think of and it won't pass any audio. The very last thing I tried was putting each channel in repeater mode which would normally pass audio from any talkgroup and nothing went through. There have been some people who have been able to get it to work, but I think that was solely due to how that particular system was configured.

minasha

From my experience no, because the talkgroup format is different. The G4/G5 relies solely on standard P25 talkgroup format for both P25 Conventional and trunked systems. I've tried everything I can think of and it won't pass any audio. The very last thing I tried was putting each channel in repeater mode which would normally pass audio from any talkgroup and nothing went through. There have been some people who have been able to get it to work, but I think that was solely due to how that particular system was configured.
I did get audio to pass on the conventional talk groups but not on the P25 Talk Groups Since there are only 2 P25 TG's if I got it to work it would be good because all the conventional traffic would be silent and I would get my 2 P25 TG"s making it a good system for me. However the P25 TG's simply won't come in

minasha

I heard p25 tg with this setting and it passes as pure static it won't decode unencrypted p25 this way.
Question:
Can I set each frequency as a wildcard talk group? in pps #4 group setting in each channel knob I want to enter ffff hex in P25T TGID column
will that work?

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber
You can try it. It may work for you depending on how the system is configured. All of the Smartzone systems I've tried doesn't work.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am not a Unification expert, but from experience I can tell you this.

A Smartzone system with mixed mode analog and digital is not a "P25" system. It may have the Project 25 Common Air Interface for the digital channels but it operates under the analog 3600 control channel. The "CAI" feature in those systems is pretty much as useful as a screendoor on a submarine as far as interoperability with P25 standards. I would suggest, if you are trying this on a conventional basis and it fails. It could be those lone talk groups are encrypted. There is pretty much zero other reason for a mixed mode system having only a few digital TG's.

minasha

I am not a Unification expert, but from experience I can tell you this.

A Smartzone system with mixed mode analog and digital is not a "P25" system. It may have the Project 25 Common Air Interface for the digital channels but it operates under the analog 3600 control channel. The "CAI" feature in those systems is pretty much as useful as a screendoor on a submarine as far as interoperability with P25 standards. I would suggest, if you are trying this on a conventional basis and it fails. It could be those lone talk groups are encrypted. There is pretty much zero other reason for a mixed mode system having only a few digital TG's.
Hi
I am 100% sure the 2 p25 tg on this mixed system are not encrypted but even programmed as a p25 conventional the G5 doesnt bring it in

RFI-EMI-GUY

How do you know the TG's you want are unencrypted? There are about 10 TG;s that show either D or De. Out of 4 "D" talkgroups, I would bet the surveillance really are De and the radio techs maybe or maybe not.

This system is largely analog. The only reason to suffer P25 is for the encryption.

You will have to input all twenty channels in conventional to even have a chance.

k3sls

Premium Subscriber
Hi
I am 100% sure the 2 p25 tg on this mixed system are not encrypted but even programmed as a p25 conventional the G5 doesnt bring it in
Study up on the differences between Smartnet and P25 controllers. Smartnet does not do APCO P25, although it will allow digital voice over the analog frequency, and that's exactly what you're hearing, but not decoding. Check this Wiki for more on Smartnet/SmartZone capabilities.

minasha

How do you know the TG's you want are unencrypted? There are about 10 TG;s that show either D or De. Out of 4 "D" talkgroups, I would bet the surveillance really are De and the radio techs maybe or maybe not.

This system is largely analog. The only reason to suffer P25 is for the encryption.

You will have to input all twenty channels in conventional to even have a chance.
Hi
The 2 surveillance channels are NOT encrypted. I listen to them every day with my Pro 668
They come in crystal clear.
i already loaded all 19 channels in the g5 as conventional p 25 it does not work.
You dont get anything this way it. Never picks up anything. if i change all 19 channels to
csq it will pickup all analog traffic but the p 25 channels will have digital noise not mickey mouse garble that comes with encrypted p25

Danny37

I really wish they added the support but I can understand why since smartzone is end of life and no longer supported. I honestly would buy one if they did but for now nothing around me is P25 trunking so it's no use for me at the moment. Like you, the Doitt system is really all I wanted to monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.