Motorola speaker connected to 996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I need to replace 3 old Uniden ESP-20 speakers in a mobile install. They are all suffering from the embedded bracket nuts falling out, and rattling/buzzing/vibration issues. Also, the stupid bear paw on them is getting to me after having to stare at them for 5+ years!

I have a bunch of NIB Motorola HSN4031 speakers, which I believe are 8ohm/7.5 watts. I also have a bunch of female Molex connectors and 3.5mm plugs, which I would use to make little adaptors. Are there any precautions I need to take when wiring up these speakers? I know when dealing with Moto radios, there is no polarity, yet they have a serrated lead and a non serrated lead. Does it matter when connecting to a scanner, and can an external speaker be connected to the 996 without blowing the internal audio? I currently have a 536HP undergoing a $90 repair because I plugged a Radio Shack scanner speaker into the rear ext speaker jack!

Paul

cmdrwill

Paul, The Motorola speakers should work just fine, 8 ohms IS good.
I do not know the speaker wiring, speaker jack connections, for scanners, or the speaker requirements. I think 4 ohms would be the lowest resistance or the most load for a scanner.

Maybe the 996XT expert can chime in!

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I use two Motorola speakers on my 996/996P2 scanners, there are no ser: model #'s on them but there the older black 4"/4" with the "Blue" Motorola name on front , there really clear and loud and work great.....

JamesO

I have a number of Motorola HSN1000B Amplified speakers that I use or wire in the non Amplified mode (they support both wiring as an External passive speaker or an Amplified Speaker via the 6 pin connector) on both my 536HP and 996XT without any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.