• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

motorola speaker install

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOLEBILLY

Can someone help me out on installing a motorola speaker. The one I got has like 7 wires on it going to a plug that goes to the radio. I just need a plug for a scanner,can someone tell me how to wire it. Thank you.

CCHLLM

What you describe sounds like an amplified speaker for an MTVA. That means it's not a 4 ohm speaker. It requires 12 volts to operate, and the speaker's audio input does not match the output of a scanner. Doesn't mean it can't be made to work, just means you've got some modifying to do to either the scanner or the speaker. I say modify the speaker because it'll be the simplest thing to do.

I have one of the MTVA amplified speakers in hand, if that's what you have, and I see it uses a 2 ohm speaker. There's a chance you can get the speaker to work by disconnecting the current wires to the speaker itself, add a 5 watt 2.2 ohm resistor across the speaker terminals, and connect a pigtail wire to the speaker with a miniplug for the scanner end. The resistor will help get the speaker impedance back in line so the scanner's audio amp will like it. The amp inside the speaker won't be used, so the rest of the wires with it will also be useless.

You can discard the amp, the wiring, and the speaker and put in a 4 ohm or 8 ohm speaker that will fit the housing and attach your pigtail to it, but unless it's a true communications speaker, it won't have the "Motorola" sound.

KC0QNB

What would be the input impedance of the amp? is a better question this is how it works as I understand it, scanner ext speaker/headphone jack>the amplifier in the speaker enclosure>which is already set up to match the speaker in the moto box am I right?

HOLEBILLY

Its a nsn6054a speaker and somewhere on he I saw a thread that told how to convert it so it would work with a scanner and still have the amp

KC0QNB

7 wires are present on the DB-25 connector and hook up as follows:

Pin 2 ------ Black --- 12VDC -
Pin 3 ------ Brown -- 12VDC -
Pin 5 ------ Green -- 12VDC+
Pin 11 ---- Red ----- 12VDC+
Pin 20 ---- White --- Audio IN
Pin 21 ---- Blue ----- Audio IN
Pin 24 ---- Orange --12VDC+

The Motorola spec sheet/schematic confirms the presence of a current limiting resistor for the Squelch (Pin 5 Green), so 12VDC+ works fine. You could hook the green lead to switched power, which would turn the internal amplifier in the speaker on & off accordingly.

In it's designed use with the Convertacom, the vehicle unit provided a +DC voltage to the amplified speaker's green (squelch) lead so it would automatically turn the speaker amplifier on & off based on audio breaking squelch. So if you can find a +DC voltage in your radio that is present when squelch is broken, or perhaps only when the radio is on, (supplying same to the speaker's green lead) it'd be a power saver feature and the internal amp in the speaker wouldn't be on all the time.
Posted by K8PBX 07-18-2006, 05:49 PM
This is amazing I did a google search for nsn6054a, second link brought me back here 2 years ago, simpley amazing what google can do! Try it sometime. How about a pdf that includes a schematic
Here is another with a hook up to a plug for a scanner etc.

Last edited:

KC0QNB

Since it was Monday and it was hot, and I was in a fightin mood, it took me all of three to get those results, on the nsn number search there were tons of hits, I looked at these three browsed through them to be sure, posted. and I saved the one from the last link so I have it for next time, and it will come up again, heck I might even buy one of those speakers for myself, 12 watts amplified, not too bad for not a lot of scratch.

immelmen

there should be a part number on the back center of the speaker. If its something like HSN1000a/b or HSN1006 it the amped speaker.

Go to Bat-labs.com and do a search for XTVA, the have the pin-outs and other info on these speakers.

They can be had new on Flebay for 25 bucks.....Moto litst them for 80.00, so its not a bad deal, and they are LOUD......I have one I use with an XTVA, mounted under the passengers seat. works great even at highway speeds with the windows down.

Last edited:

KC0QNB

there should be a part number on the back center of the speaker. If its something like HSN1000a/b or HSN1006 it the amped speaker.

Go to Bat-labs.com and do a search for XTVA, the have the pin-outs and other info on these speakers.

They can be had new on Flebay for 25 bucks.....Moto litst them for 80.00, so its not a bad deal, and they are LOUD......I have one I use with an XTVA, mounted under the passengers seat. works great even at highway speeds with the windows down.

I just went to batslabs and checked on what you stated I didn't find anything better than what I already posted., did you read any other posts besides the first one? just curious

Last edited:

immelmen

What you got better than my links?
I just went to batslabs and checked on what you stated, the last time you were was when? I didn't find anything better than what I already posted.

chill out. better, no. different, yes.

before you get too grumpy, compare the part numbers in my post to yours. The speakers are DIFFERENT. Different part numbers = different connectors, less wires, different pinouts, but is still a amped speaker.

I see now where I missed "HOLEBILLY's" reply as to the part number, my bad. Never the less, someone else wanting to do the same thing with one of these speakers could make use of the info and get a good deal on ebay......so why the fus?

KC0QNB

Because I am a grumpy old ham fart, and it is hot and humid here and I haven't chilled out yet :wink: It gets better with nightfall trust me I am really an Ok grumpy old ham fart:p

immelmen

LOL very nice :D The elmers I learn the most about radios from are the oldest and grumpiest!! ;)

KC0QNB

Now if we could just find a service manual for the HSN1000/1006 we would be good to go, I did a quick search only thing found was a post on the batlabs forum, with a guy named immelmen in the thread, any relation?

HOLEBILLY

Ha guys thanks a million. I will now try to mount my speaker and get it hooked up to the pro96.Again THANKS

immelmen

Now if we could just find a service manual for the HSN1000/1006 we would be good to go, I did a quick search only thing found was a post on the batlabs forum, with a guy named immelmen in the thread, any relation?

I have the the hard copy of all the paperwork that comes with a HSN1000b(instructions/schematics/pinouts, ect) . It was the original issue speaker to come with the XTVA before the HSN1006 and was also used as a PA with MOSTAR gear. But I wouldn't know how to make it into a PDF. If someone wants to give me some pointers on PDF....

Last edited:

KC0QNB

I have the the hard copy of all the paperwork that comes with a HSN1000b(instructions/schematics/pinouts, ect) . It was the original issue speaker to come with the XTVA before the HSN1006 and was also used as a PA with MOSTAR gear. But I wouldn't know how to make it into a PDF. If someone wants to give me some pointers on PDF....
Got a flat bed scanner? then you can make a pdf with open office.

KC0QNB

Heh, I have that DLed but never really played with it, didn't know it could make a PDF too :D
Yup direct conversion file>save as pdf. there is also a button on the toolbar. I did a newsletter a few years ago for our "what you might call a ham club" sent it via email to everyone on the list I had no complaints, opened for everybody. I believe is generates a "picture" pdf as opposed to a text pdf, but it works super, go play!

Status
Not open for further replies.