• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Alright guys, This is a mix-bag of electronics but has to do with Mother /\/\ speakers...I got this started and now I need a good solution...

I have two speakers a HSN4018A and HSN4005A. Both of which worked fine with the radio's they were attached too, but I had bigger plans for these two...

I stripped the connector off each speaker and wired up some speaker wire to it and put two Solderless Phono Plugs from Radio Shack on each end. I then plugged that into a RCA-1/8" stereo converter. I then plugged the speaker into my scanner, boombox, computer, CD Player and iPhone 3G.

The only way I hear *ANY* audio from either speaker is if I press it to my ear and listen closely..Yes before anyone asks the volume on each item was adjusted from OFF to full blast with the same results from the speaker(s) themselves...

Any ideas/suggestions/critiques as to why this speaker setup isn't working as planned would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

-Frank C.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps those are amplified speakers that require power (usualy 12vdc) to make them work. No other wires coming out of the speaker?

All of the devices you plugged the speaker into scanner, computer et. al. are designed to provide low-level earphone audio level, not to drive a speaker or high level audio. That is why computer speakers contain a built-in amplifier to boost the audio level.

fineshot1

Alright guys, This is a mix-bag of electronics but has to do with Mother /\/\ speakers...I got this started and now I need a good solution...

I have two speakers a HSN4018A and HSN4005A. Both of which worked fine with the radio's they were attached too, but I had bigger plans for these two...

I stripped the connector off each speaker and wired up some speaker wire to it and put two Solderless Phono Plugs from Radio Shack on each end. I then plugged that into a RCA-1/8" stereo converter. I then plugged the speaker into my scanner, boombox, computer, CD Player and iPhone 3G.

The only way I hear *ANY* audio from either speaker is if I press it to my ear and listen closely..Yes before anyone asks the volume on each item was adjusted from OFF to full blast with the same results from the speaker(s) themselves...

Any ideas/suggestions/critiques as to why this speaker setup isn't working as planned would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

-Frank C.

It sounds like you put them in parallel with each other and if these are the typical moto 3.2 ohm
speakers you most likely have overloaded the audio output circuit of this "stereo converter" device.

I think I might be a little confused with your description.

NOTE: These are not amplified speakers

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys! Guess I'll have to go out and build/buy a power amp! It's an 8-ohm speaker.

Regards,

-Frank C.

kg6nlw

Premium Subscriber
fineshot1,

Thanks for the link. I had read that before and it's not quite, from what I'm reading, what I want to do. I want to have a speaker put in the front of the "family van" so that when out railfanning/etc I can listen to the car radio without blowing out the van speakers from pumping up the volume. That is the *end* result I'm trying to accomplish here.

Regards,

-Frank C.

Status
Not open for further replies.