• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Spectra for APRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I have a Motorola Spectra Dash Mount VHF (136.0 - 162.0 MHz) radio in my house that I use for Amature Radio and other radio needs. I was thinking about using it to RX APRS data to see what's out there. I HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT APRS. I have programmed in 144.39000 MHz and can hear data. What do I need to do to turn those tones into something I can use. I'm 99% sure i'll need a cable. Does anyone have the pin out for said cable. What about software? I have ready access at a OS X 10.8.2, Windows 7, Windows 98, and DOS 6.22. Right now i'm not looking to transmit data or repeat it but then again I have no idea how it's done or what's involved so if it's simple enough I might go for it.

Thank you again for your help,

WB0VHB

You could start by looking at Google Maps APRS for your area. That would give you an idea of what kind of mobile and node activity there is in your area without even trying to decode what you are hearing.

If your interested in putting a signal on the air, I would recommend this web site:

APRS and Packet Radio | Argent Data Systems

I'm not an expert on APRS but have been playing with it for years.

73's
Randy

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Hello All,

I have a Motorola Spectra Dash Mount VHF (136.0 - 162.0 MHz) radio in my house that I use for Amature Radio and other radio needs. I was thinking about using it to RX APRS data to see what's out there. I HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT APRS. I have programmed in 144.39000 MHz and can hear data. What do I need to do to turn those tones into something I can use. I'm 99% sure i'll need a cable. Does anyone have the pin out for said cable. What about software? I have ready access at a OS X 10.8.2, Windows 7, Windows 98, and DOS 6.22. Right now i'm not looking to transmit data or repeat it but then again I have no idea how it's done or what's involved so if it's simple enough I might go for it.

Thank you again for your help,

To receive, you need nothing more than a scanner and a patch cord to your computer. AX.25 (the protocol that runs APRS) can be picked up just from headphone output.

I have a BC780XLT hooked up to my computer, and the software from this page -> Sound Card TNC Utility by Frank Perkins WB5IPM monitoring the line-in signal. That program interfaces with APRS-IS32, a piece of software that connects between RF sources and the Internet and shows APRS activity on a map. APRSIS32 runs quite nicely on my Win7 machine and on XP at my fire station.

In order to do APRS with a Spectra, you will need a TNC (terminal node controller). Argent Data as referenced by the above poster will have a few including the Tracker3 and the OpenTracker. These connect between your PC's serial port and a data cable you, as you guessed it, build yourself. I think on the Spectra it's as simple as making one out of an old mic cord (but I don't play with Spectras myself so I could be wrong).

Batlabs has a thread on it: Batboard • View topic - APRS and Spectra

Between that and documentation for whatever TNC you get, you should be able to get connected. Last thing: If you're looking to do this in a mobile fashion (in your car, say), a GPS is probably desired so your position is kept up to date (both for outgoing packets and for the map display). But if you're in a fixed location, you can just tell the program (APRSIS32, or your choice of any of the others) what that fixed location is and be done with it.

n5ims

Just remember that a Spectra, unlike most scanners, will require an isolation transformer between the speaker leads and the computer. Most scanners have the shield side of the cable grounded, but if you try that with the Spectra you'll probably burn up the audio chip. See the warnings and solutions here --> Interfacing External Equipment To Your Spectra Radio

cmdrwill

The Data signals are available on the Spectra to hook to the TNC or computer. The speaker connections are NOT used.

KK4LQX

Premium Subscriber
I was able to find some one that fabricated the cable I needed as well as set me up with an Argent Data Systems OpenTrack USB TNC and an Argent Data Systems ADS-GM1 GPS receiver. I am now transmitting at 50w and am able to be rx'd by a digipeater very rarely. I have tried turning up the audio level in the TNC to max and can only manage 1.5 kHz deviation. Has anyone else had this issue?

I purchased all of my setup from:
http://www.rpc-electronics.com

cmdrwill

On the Spectra you have to make a filter/interface to pass the data to the transmitter and have it come out with the correct modulation. Probably the TNC can not drive the Spectra mic input, a very common problem.

Send me the cable diagram in a PM, and I will see what is happening.

I just did some checking here and that TNC will not drive the Spectra radio. They are made for hammy radios' mic inputs. You will need simple one transistor amplifier in the Mic line for your Spectra.

Status
Not open for further replies.