• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Spectra Radio's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello All,
I'm thinking of buying 2 Motorola Spectra radio's, one VHF, one UHF. I'm wanting to program them for Amateur Radio use (2Meter: 144Mhz-148Mhz & 70CM: 420Mhz-450Mhz ) using CPS. I know very little about these radio's and very little about Amateur Radio, Although I will be taking a Tech Class in about 2 weeks. I know there are many "HAM Band" radio's out there but I want to keep it all Motorola as I have a Motorola Astro Spectra for FD/EMS use already.
I'm Needing to know if A.) these radio's can RX/TX on these bands B.) CPS can be used to program these radio's. Any information would be greatly appreciated. These are the model numbers to the radio's:

Motorola Spectra VHF - D43KMA7JA5BK
Motorola Spectra UHF - D44KMA7JA5BK

KF5YDR

The Spectras are great for ham use, but as has been mentioned, you'll need RSS to program them (which you can't get legally for a lot of older radios, can't sell legally, and can't talk about the ways to get illegally on this forum), which MUST run in DOS on a slow (less than 100 MHz) computer.

There are plenty of folks on eBay who will program these radios for a small fee or your local two-way shop might be able to program them for you.

P25.ca has a lot of good info on programming these radios.

bearcat780

If you can, splurge for the astro spectra series, as they are easily programmable by a windows-based CPS. I have a UHF Astro Spectra which works wonders on 70cm.

i still have the programing cable for a spectra i should sell it on ebay its a Motorola cable don't think i'll be wanting anymore spectra's

jim202

The Spectras are great for ham use, but as has been mentioned, you'll need RSS to program them (which you can't get legally for a lot of older radios, can't sell legally, and can't talk about the ways to get illegally on this forum), which MUST run in DOS on a slow (less than 100 MHz) computer.

I use a computer that runs at 800 MHz clock speed all the time to program Spectra radios. One secret is to shut off the cache in the computer. You might have to use on of several small programs that are easily found on the Internet. I have used "cacheoff.com" with good results.

Yes you need to run in a pure DOS operating system. I have a 3 1/2 inch floppy with the DOS 6.22 on it. Boot from the floppy drive in the computer. Have my hard disk formatted in FAT32 so the DOS software can read the hard drive. Also have Windows XP on the hard drive so I can move files from one computer to another easily. Just remember that all the DOS file names can not be longer than 8 characters.

KF5YDR

I use a computer that runs at 800 MHz clock speed all the time to program Spectra radios.
Good to know! I use a 1.4 GHz Toughbook to program my HT1000s, but I wasn't sure if an older radio like the Spectra would be pickier.

n5ims

Don't forget to replace the leaky caps even if your radio(s) don't show any damage. The caps will leak (or most likely have already leaked) and unless replaced will cause damage to the boards. There are folks that will do the job for you if you wish. Recapping the Spectra

Age is all it takes for the caps to start leaking. It doesn't matter if the radio is new in the box or very used, the caps need to be replaced. The only reason for not replacing them is that the job has already been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.