Motorola-State of Florida contract in jeopardy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Seems it shouldn’t have gotten as far as it did, with such ridiculous language in the contract. Guess they were hopeful it would be removed. I can’t blame Motorola one bit.
Now Williams Comm. is right there, and basically does it already, seems it would be mutually beneficial to go that direction

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
Someone tried to play hardball and lost. I don't blame DMS for cancelling the entire process.... but damn.....

"this ain't Paul Galvin's Motorola"

harrisjt

Premium Subscriber
I’m sure Motorola still had hard feelings over how things went down with System they started to put in till the state ditched it to go with M/A-com. They also kind of screwed themselves when they turned all their towers over to GE/MA-COM/Harris

radiomanj1

Motorola did not own the sites that were given to MA-Comm or what ever of the many names they were running under.
The state gave them to Harris and police chiefs were told that they were going to put tow trucks and taxis on the system. Might have been part of the plan but it never went anywhere. Motorola had the whole East coast covered with 2 systems.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Actually Motorola didn't even do any site development at all with the Astro System. Florida Dept. Of Management Services (DMS) was 100% responsible for site acquisition, permitting, tower erection, generators & fuel tanks, etc. My County paid for 50% of the two SLERS towers that we currently reside on with our P25 system.

All Motorola had to do was to bring in their racks, turn on the equipment, and optimize it. It was due to DMS construction delays and not Motorola that the system was turned over to the competitor.

batdude

If Motorola believed that the contract terms were a screw job in the works, I don't blame them for not signing.

I guess the southern Good Ole Boy Network is one network you can still rely on in Florida. If someone turned that into a communications network, it'd be epic.
if that happened the system would constantly be busy with "obstruction of justice" (aka contempt of cop) calls.

batdude

Future of Florida Statewide Public-Safety Network Still Uncertain

what a toolbag... Greg Brown.... "we have successfully jerked around the citizens of Florida because we under bid a contract we cannot execute - so F them, we will bid it again" - if Florida was smart, they'd find a way to prevent M from bidding on the proposal - at all. What a jerk.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Nah, if Florida's DMS officials were really smart, they'd institute a permanent ban on Harris bidding on radio systems. The under-the-table shenanigans that have taken place as a direct result of Harris (and its legacy brand names) getting certain important Florida contracts is quite an impressive collection if compiled into one list. Graft and corruption is just part of their way of doing business. (Not blaming Harris Corporation for that, but for the legacy brands before. Harris at least is more professional and more careful to avoid being observed if anything like that should happen. They are quite adept at manipulating contract laws and rules in ways that may possibly defeat the intent and spirit, but not the letter, of the law.

Motorola is no angel in this regard either. But their transgressions, at least the ones I'm aware of, are relatively trivial compared to the utter NONSENSE that have been perpetrated by the management of the Harris legacy companies.

baceman

what a toolbag... Greg Brown.... "we have successfully jerked around the citizens of Florida because we under bid a contract we cannot execute - so F them, we will bid it again" - if Florida was smart, they'd find a way to prevent M from bidding on the proposal - at all. What a jerk.

For a state that deals with major disasters year after year, you would think that the legislature will get their poop in a pile when it comes to x agency comms. It infurates me. Have we learned nothing since Katrina, 9/11, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.