Motorola-State of Florida contract in jeopardy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reelfishguy

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
No way would they put this in jeopardy vs. the contract language issue. The contract language was part of the bid, so it is hard to negotiate in reverse. TT

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Any updates?

Given until this Tuesday, Dec 31, 2019

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

I can't blame Motorola for being hesitant to accept that extreme language; every Motorola contract I've ever dealt with had project milestones, in which I as the customer had to pay a certain amount every time a significant milestone was reached (so much at contract signing, so much at equipment assembly and testing, so much more after installation, and the final payment upon final acceptance).

The way it sounds, Florida's "terminate for convenience" clause means that Motorola could manufacture all the hardware, assemble and install it, get the system running and ready for use, and the state could still walk away without spending a dime prior to final acceptance. Motorola would then be on the hook for hundreds of millions in equipment and labor costs, as well as further costs to remove everything.

Terminate for convenience usually means that the entity is only liable for costs incurred to the point they canceled the project. The State of New York used a similar tactic when testing OpenSly in the Buffalo area, but that was only a two-county test rollout (don't recall if they ended up paying anything or not but I'd guess they did).

Last edited:
Reactions: RRR

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Wonder who will take over now? Or the state will keep Harris since I saw this

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Wonder who will take over now? Or the state will keep Harris since I saw this

It ain't over until the fat lady sings; I'll reserve judgement until the state actually comes out and tells Motorola to take a hike.

However, if the deal does go under, the door is open for EFJ or Tait to step in; the fact that the bid from Harris was $300 million higher than the Motorola bid doesn't look good; if I were a Florida taxpayer I'd be outraged if the state dumped Motorola after however many years and jumped at a deal costing hundreds of millions more. I don't think that's what the Florida legislature had in mind when they enacted the "terminate for convenience" stuff, either.

If they really want to go with Motorola, in my mind the equitable solution is that the state would not be on the hook for equipment costs if they cancel the contract, only costs for labor and one-time use equipment as well as any hardware (like antennas and feed lines) which cannot reasonably be removed and repurposed by Motorola.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
It ain't over until the fat lady sings; I'll reserve judgement until the state actually comes out and tells Motorola to take a hike.

However, if the deal does go under, the door is open for EFJ or Tait to step in; the fact that the bid from Harris was $300 million higher than the Motorola bid doesn't look good; if I were a Florida taxpayer I'd be outraged if the state dumped Motorola after however many years and jumped at a deal costing hundreds of millions more. I don't think that's what the Florida legislature had in mind when they enacted the "terminate for convenience" stuff, either.

If they really want to go with Motorola, in my mind the equitable solution is that the state would not be on the hook for equipment costs if they cancel the contract, only costs for labor and one-time use equipment as well as any hardware (like antennas and feed lines) which cannot reasonably be removed and repurposed by Motorola.

I'll doubt what the state thinks on the taxpayers seems they do what ever they want to do....... these days.

Firebuff880

Here is an Update --

Motorola Solutions declined to sign a contract honoring its $687.8 million bid to build a statewide Project (P25) network in Florida, so the state will “move toward the new procurement of a next-generation system,” according to a state letter sent yesterday to Motorola Solutions Chairman and CEO Greg Brown.

Full Text

Reactions: RRR
Status
Not open for further replies.