• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola STX Non Reband

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
I am thinking of buying an STX821, the local 800mhz conventional analog system that i want to monitor rebanded to 855.51250, if i have the stx programmed will i still be able to RX the rebanded frequency?

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I don't think the STX will work with the rebanded frequencies.

kf8yk

the local 800mhz conventional analog system that i want to monitor rebanded to 855.51250

With conventional systems rebanding is not an issue with the STX, just enter the new frequency using the RSS.

SKYNET156

Banned
so what is the big deal with rebanding then?, i have been told that i would not be able to RX at all, is rebanding more-less affecting trunked systems?

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
We had some conventional channels around here moved down from 866 to 851. They were part of the rebanding of the statewide system but serveral conventional channels were also rebanded so I do believe its not just a trunking thing. But then again what do I know. Anyone wish to clairify?

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I am thinking of buying an STX821, the local 800mhz conventional analog system that i want to monitor rebanded to 855.51250, if i have the stx programmed will i still be able to RX the rebanded frequency?

855.5125 is not a NPSPAC frequency that was affected by rebanding (866/869MHz - 15MHz). What may have happened is that the agency was in the Expansion Band and elected to move to the Public Safety compliment that is just above the NPSPAC band.

To answer your question, yes the STX will work with that system as an analog/conventional frequency as it is a "standard channel" and not a splinter.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
We had some conventional channels around here moved down from 866 to 851. They were part of the rebanding of the statewide system but serveral conventional channels were also rebanded so I do believe its not just a trunking thing. But then again what do I know. Anyone wish to clairify?
Yes, it's strictly a Motorola trunking thing as mentioned. Any other issue is just the hassle of reprogramming the equipment.

SKYNET156

Banned
maybe it was that they did move instead of being rebanded, but i remember them being on the list saying rebanding, but like stated above, they prob elected to move

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
AND with it being a conventional channel, you can program it in and leave the transmit channel as BLANK and none of the SAPS can get onto you for it!

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
What about edacs?

Yes, it's strictly a Motorola trunking thing as mentioned. Any other issue is just the hassle of reprogramming the equipment.

You sure about that? I have two edacs systems near me that were moved from the 866-868 range down to the 851-853 range.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

You sure about that? I have two edacs systems near me that were moved from the 866-868 range down to the 851-853 range.

Rebanding affects the entire 800 band, not just Motorola trunked systems.

What Wayne probably meant to say was that, Motorola trunked systems are particularly affected because of the way they are programmed. They depend on set in stone Channel #'s, not specific frequencies, when they tune to a voice channel. Some equipment is not reband-aware, which means they will tune to the wrong frequency for some of the new post-reband frequencies whose Channel #'s have changed. For systems like EDACS and LTR, the specific frequencies are assigned to custom Logical Channel #'s (LCN's), and are not set in stone like Motorola systems are. Of course, all of this primarily affects scanner users with older equipment that is not reband-aware. Authorized users of these Motorola trunked systems will obviously be using equipment properly programmed for use on their post-reband system.

SKYNET156

Banned
I am sorry to keep re-hashing this, but if i were to have my local EDACS system programmed in my radio, would it be affected by rebanding?

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I depends on what frequencies your local EDACS system resides in. If ANY of the frequencies is in the current allocation NPSPAC that lies in between 866 and 869 MHZ then yes it does without a doubt. If it lies in the new NPSPAC allocation that is in between 851 and 854 MHz then yes it does without a doubt.

If it is ANYWHERE else in the 800 Spectrum, ie between 854 and 866MHz, then NO rebanding does not affect them at all.

Also you can't program EDACS into an STX, so I'm going to assume when you mean radio you mean a scanner, right?

SKYNET156

Banned
No, it's not an STX, i have an LPE-200 that has been sitting on my shelf for about a year, i actually got it from a yard sale in tennessee, the guy was a rail buff and he thought it was VHF and he sold it to me for $200, and i heard that you can set an EDACS system up on RX only, i heard there was a way, and i would like to utilize it, it's currently programmed to ITAC non rebanded frequencies, and i can't find anyone to program it, but i got 6 STX radios with a RIB and cable from ebay and my local radio shop will program the whole lot for $100 to RX only, but with the LPE they can't, they don't program that line of radios,

Status
Not open for further replies.