Motorola Systems Saber 2-way Radio Uhf, INFO & HELP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motorola_fan

Hi,

I will like to know if the MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF, can be used as a scanner? Will I need the MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF RSS? (Yes I plan to get the MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF RSS, from Motorola ONLY). Or can I use the MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF as a scanner, just by programming it like a regular scanner? (With out the MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF RSS). Any info on this topic, will be a big help to me.

THANKS
motorola_fan

kfr439

Premium Subscriber
It can be programmed for receive only, however you will need a copy of hte RSS in order for you to do that. The saber is not keypad programable

jparks29

John McClane
and, it's limited to the bandsplit that it's designed for.. it's not multi-band like a scanner is....

I'm thinking you got a ex mil radio, 403-430 mhz.....

I would NOT be monitoring "those types" of systems with a motorola radio....

don't forget the system key...

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
jparks29 said:
and, it's limited to the bandsplit that it's designed for.. it's not multi-band like a scanner is....

It's limited to the band (VHF/UHF) but the actual split is very movable (403-433 to 440-470)

There are several counties programmed in my Saber that cover the whole county, not all of them use different bands for different comms. Some plan ahead :D

jparks29 said:

Just wondering how you figured that out?

jparks29 said:

Even if it was a mil-split UHF, there are lots of conventional systems around.

Motorola_fan

THANK YOU, kfr439, jparks29, & Grog. I may still need some help with my MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF. So expect some other questions from me soon (Due to the fact that I am new to all this UHF, VHF, SCANNER, radio stuff). On my MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF the model number is H99QX + 080H. the FCC ID is AZ489FT4767. The operating frequency of this radio is unknown to me at this time. NO from what I know my MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF is not Ex Law Enforcement or Ex Military. In the DHS U.S. Coast Guard, we use the MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER ASTRO RADIO, NOT the MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF. But all I have done with those radios (MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER ASTRO RADIO) is use them for patrols, and have not had the chance yet to mess around with one of them.

THANKS
motorola_fan

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Almost all of the UHF Systems Sabers I have seen are ex-Military or Government units. That was a very popular model with the Military and feds, and not many others bought them. That being said, most all the UHF models are 403-433 Split radios.

As it has been said before, they can be moved to the 440-470 band with a module change and full alignment, easy to do if you have the proper equipment.

As for the RSS, good luck with getting it from Motorola, with a radio as old as the Systems Saber it may be NLA now.

Grog

Banned
One thing to remember is that the Saber, Systems saber, and the Astro Saber are three different models of radios. They all use different software for programming, and some of the accessories interchange, and some don't.

MacombMonitor

jparks29 said:

I would NOT be monitoring "those types" of systems with a motorola radio....

Why not? If he purchased the radio legally, and it's programmed for receive only, and he's not attempting to decrypt, then what would be the problem?

Grog

Banned
MacombMonitor said:
Why not? If he purchased the radio legally, and it's programmed for receive only, and he's not attempting to decrypt, then what would be the problem?

Look at who you quoted. I would not put much faith in anything he has to say. :lol:

spddare65

Saber Help

Does anyone know how to install or remove the belt clip from he back of the Saber?

mancow

Database Admin
Stick a small screwdriver in that slot on the bottom in the battery plate. If you are lucky the tab will move and it will lift away from the body. The metal is strong and it takes quite a bit of pressure to get it to move.

jparks29

John McClane
MacombMonitor said:

Grog said:
Look at who you quoted. I would not put much faith in anything he has to say. :lol:

ok jagoff......

lets just tell the new guy to find RSS, a System Key Generator, and set him on his way so he can monitor his closest military trunked system.........thats probably running some type of crypto , or all but dead due to the transition to 380 mhz........

I try to give the guy some advice to stay away from trying to run trunked radios on trunked systems to use as a scanner and you want to try and make it personal......get over it.....

n7lxi

Premium Subscriber
I just wanted to say I love my MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF. I use my MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF to talk on ham frequencies and sometimes I use the MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF that I bought to talk to the other MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF that I have. My friend Timmy also has a MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF and he says his MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF is way more better than the MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF that our other friend John has. John also likes to use his MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF on GMRS. I also use my MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF on GMRS. Do you guys like your MOTOROLA SYSTEMS SABER 2-WAY RADIO UHF radios too?

kf4lne

I like my KENWOOD TH-77A DUAL BAND AMATEUR HANDHELD TRANCEIVER WITH PB-6 BATTERY AND BC-10 CHARGER.

Last edited:

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Using Motorola radios as scanners is not the greatest because they only scan a limited number of channels. I use a Systems Saber III, and it can only scan 16 channels at a time. User programmable, but only 16 at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.