• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola T7200 won't receive from other radios?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epeescott

My two T7200s will communicate with one another, and when I transmit on them, my other radios can hear them fine.

However, when I transmit on my other radios, the T7200's won't receive.

Anyone have any ideas why?

Epeescott

I verified in the manuals of the radios that the frequencies are indeed the same on all the radios, both for Tx and Rx (why transmit might be different from receive, I don't know)......

Subcode? I don't know what that is, unless it is a encrypt type feature.

What is a PL Tone?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have one of these also. If mine is set to scramble,it doesn't receive another radio if it's a different make.
You might check that too?
N9ZAS.

Epeescott

I figured it out....

It isn't the encrypt feature.

The T7200, being a better radio, has an "Interference Eliminator Code". Default is one, but setting it to zero will enable other, cheaper radios to hear you.

n1das

It isn't the encrypt feature.

The T7200, being a better radio, has an "Interference Eliminator Code".

The "Interference Eliminator Code" is a fancy name for a PL tone.

Code #1 = 67.0Hz This appears to be Motorola's default tone.

Default is one, but setting it to zero will enable other, cheaper radios to hear you.

Setting the code to zero turns off the feature and your T7200s are listening in carrier squelch mode (CSQ) and they won't be encoding a tone on transmit. Also, cheaper radios will still hear you, whether or not you're using the "interference eliminator code" feature. Using the tone-coded squelch system in your radios does not make your transmissions "private". Everybody else can still hear your transmissions. It simply relieves you of having to listen to all the other chatter on the channel that you're sharing with others. Your T7200 is actually still receiving those other transmissions, the difference is the radio will stay muted on those transmissions that aren't transmitting the same subaudible tone your radio is set to decode. Your radio will only unmute the speaker audio when it hears transmission(s) transmitting the correct tone. A more accurate name for this feature should be "Inteference IGNORING codes".

See also: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/CTCSS

Last edited:

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
True...as posted above. Although I've met 2 other people with the T7200 and neither were aware of the inversion scrambling feature,or the microphone sensitivity feature. Fyi.
N9ZAS.

Epeescott

Thanks - I didn't mean actual encryption as opposed to simple scrambling.

Also thanks for the explanation of the PL tone and CTCSS. I'm really new to this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.