• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Talkabout T800

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1das

I previously posted about the Motorola Talkabout T800 in this thread several months ago but the thread is now locked due to inactivity:

I recently picked up some T800 Talkabouts to use for those few times that I might casually use GMRS/FRS, particularly when my 5 and 8 year old nephews come to visit.

I normally don't use GMRS/FRS anymore or MURS for that matter because I migrated my local on-site simplex type use with family and friends to 900MHz using Motorola DTR and DLR series 900MHz FHSS digital radios. The DTRs and DLRs work amazingly well and totally blow FRS away in performance. I still have GMRS/FRS and MURS as backups and for interoperability but these are no longer by default go-to modes for local on-site simplex type use with family and friends. However, I found it handy to keep a few FRS bubble packs around for when my nephews visit since they DO NOT get to play with my 900MHz digital radios. I normally go <yawn> toward FRS bubble packs but the T800 managed to get my attention.

There are a number of things I like about the T800:

1. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the blue LED display on the T800. Check out the pics below. The bright blue LED display makes it hard to photograph with a cell phone camera and causes the color to shift. The blue LED display shines through the case plastic instead of through a clear window for the display.

2. The audio seems to be better and more crisp than the older Talkabouts. The T800 has Motorola's crappy and much hated X-Pand audio companding system but it seems to be cleaned up from the earlier Talkabouts. I was wondering about this when I posted in the earlier T800 thread.

3. Battery life on a charge seems to be pretty good. I haven't had a chance to really test them yet.

Screenshot_20200106-224530.jpgScreenshot_20200106-224600.jpg

One thing I don't like but don't really care about is the high transmit power on the GMRS channels is 0.75W instead of closer to 2W according to the FCC grant. It's not a big deal when using them to play with my nephews.

I haven't had a chance to play with the location features yet using the Talkabout app on my phone.

Last edited:

JASII

Memory Capacity
I tried a pair of these, but I didn't keep them. I think they have a good idea here and I hope that they have a newer version at some point in the future. I agree that If they could increase the transmit power level to 2 watts, that might be a good start.

I do think that there is at least some value in offering Bluetooth and the ability to connect to a smartphone and use data, GPS signal or what have you on the smartphone.

Do you happen to know if there is an app that will allow you to connect your smartphone to the Motorola Talkabout T800 and use your smartphone as a remote speaker microphone? I know a lot of people, like my wife, love using their smartphone for a lot of tasks and having the ability to use it to talk through a two-way radio would be a nice feature for them.

Last edited:

n1das

I don't know of any smartphone app to use a phone as an RSM for the T800. I may never use them that way anyway. The T800 will serve my needs for occasional light use of FRS for when my 5 and 8 year old nephews come to visit. I have no problem with handing them FRS bubble packs and letting them play with them under my supervision. They DO NOT get to play with my 900MHz DTR radios.

I absolutely love the blue LED display on the T800 which shines through the case plastic instead of through a window for the display.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.