• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Talkabout

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasMale

Premium Subscriber
I see large groups traveling with Motorola Talkabout for keeping intouch.. I would like to buy a pair.. My question is what is the best ones to buy for the best range.. and what can I expect the range to be??

mrdinks

there are a lot of options, I don't know if there are any that top the list. It depend on how many bells and whistles you want. I think they claim a 5 mile range but you would both have to be standing on top of hills with no obstructions. I think you would be lucky to get a mile under normal conditions.

landonjensen

I get ALOT better reception on the FRS/GMRS band on my Motorola Professional Radios (HT1000, Visar), compared to the FRS/GMRS Bubble Packs...

clanusb

i have to agree. i have an MTS2000 programmed with all of the FRS and GMRS freqs, and it handles a alot better than the bubblepacks.

smokeybehr

i have to agree. i have an MTS2000 programmed with all of the FRS and GMRS freqs, and it handles a alot better than the bubblepacks.

You'd better UNprogram that MTS2K from the FRS channels (or at least make them receive only) lest the FCC track you down for using a radio with WAY too much power even for the old rules.

Astro25

Bah... Let's be honest.

The FCC isn't going to care about people using 4 watts on FRS, just as soon they'd care about someone running high power on CB. But the law is the law, nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.