• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola to baofeng 888s

Status
Not open for further replies.

stu9000

Hello all. First post and very new to the radio hobby so apologies if this is the wrong forum.

I have a set of baofeng 888s radios I use with my family for camping. I had no issue setting them up on the right frequencies. I have software that allows me to set up a profile and program them. They work great.

Now I want to use a couple at the school I work in.
I have a member of staff who isnt very well and i want them to have a radio on a temporary basis.

The school has a licence and a set of aging Motorola's. Sorry, no model no.
The vendor that leases the radios provided a list of RX frequencies. However when I programmed them into the baofeng I could receive but not transmit. Also some channels have the same frequency numbers but I know they transmit on different channels through my use of them daily at school. When I mentioned this to the vendor they said something about the frequencies being the same but the tones being different.
I don't understand that.

I guess I could buy a USB to 2 pin cable, find some software that reads the Motorola and hopefully use that information to manually set up the baofeng.

Its frustrating because we have a legal paid for licence. The leasing company are not keen on us using the baofeng radios citing the lack of a kite mark being an infringement that could lead to a fine. Should I worry?

But Ive read several schools use baofengs and at £15 each I'd rather use one I have already on a temporary basis than pay £100 for another Motorola.
I don't have enough info or knowledge to include this radio.
Can you advise please?

Thanks

S

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
15 pounds. Sounds like Great Britain. Suggest you post in that thread as not aware of standards, legality of these CCR in GB. Generally, if one doesn't understand them, why is one using them? This can apply to anyone that, just because you can buy them, doesn't make it legal to use, especially if don't know how to use them. Improper use could risk lives.

JCNHB

Stu9000: I'm super new to radio too. But I'm getting familiar w the BF HT's recently.
Assuming you already have the right frequency.
You need to set the correct PL Tone. Or private line time I think it's called.
if you know what it is you can manually program it on to that channel.
But I believe the BF can also scan for PL tones.

I haven't scanned for tones myself yet so you'll need to use a manual from the Internet.

But if you keep the Motorola Keyed while you scan for the PL tone you can find it.

Or just ask the vender. What PL tone for that channel is.

Or someone here on the forum prob know what the PL is.

maybe do a search on this forum for the frequency number. A google search of the frequency often turns up PL tones too.

I'm sure the experienced guys here have a simpler solution. I don't have any friends into radio either so it's a lot of trial and error for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n5ims

The vendor that leases the radios

There's your problem right there in that short statement. If they lease you the radios they expect to be paid for them. If you buy their own, unless you pay them they're out the income, and why pay them for something you purchased yourself. If the radios are old and their age is causing you problems, there may be a procedure in the contract for upgrading them. There also may be an already agreed way to add new radio(s) and restrictions on using another company (or individual) to do so.

Working with that company may also get you a "free loaner" radio for that person to use and since it would be provided by them, should be legal both under the laws of your country and under the contract your school has with them. Start out there and see what can be worked out. It'll most likely cause you the least grief and expense.

stu9000

Thanks for the advice . I did wonder whether I should go back to the vendor. But if I'm really honest I guess this is a test case and if it works I might rely less on the vendor for their ancient expensive gear.

@robertmac... There is no way I'm interfering on any emergency service bands. Its true I know very little but I'm here to learn and I am legal.
Thanks again

S

stu9000

I guess my best shot is to pull the details from the lease radio =
ICOM fc 4002

But I'm still confused about the tones

S

JCNHB

YouTube has a lot of videos of people programing these radios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.