• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola to END production of CP 200/PR 400 Portable Radios***

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSFD390

Just thought I would pass along, that I recieved a notification from a friend via email, that Motorola will cease production of the CP 200/PR 400 radios on November 22nd, 2014. I know this is a pretty well used radio in my kneck of the woods, just thought I'd share the information!

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Just thought I would pass along, that I recieved a notification from a friend via email, that Motorola will cease production of the CP 200/PR 400 radios on November 22nd, 2014. I know this is a pretty well used radio in my kneck of the woods, just thought I'd share the information!

Thanks for the info.
We also use many PR400's. They work well for the most part but were never quite as robust as the old GP300's we also had a bunch of for many years. I still have some of the somewhat rare narrowband GP300's in use.

I guess the next purchase will be similar TRBO models as our analog UHF and VHF repeaters are showing their age now.

I did a comparison test last year against the PR-400's and similar Motorola TRBO portables (can't recall the TRBO model though) and was very pleased with the performance of the TRBO models. I also don't recall the TRBO repeater radio model(s) but the TRBO radios outperformed the PR-400's repeater by a decent amount and that test had the TRBO repeaters antennas significantly lower then the PR-400's repeater for both the UHF and VHF repeaters of the same wattage. I was not expecting the performance increase I saw from the TRBO radios. I did not get to use the TRBO radios long enough to see how well they would hold up to the abuse some of our PR-400's see though.
I also have a few CP-200's on the VHF repeater. They have held up well also.

Last edited:

CSFD390

We just moved to xts 2500. & now xtl mobiles as we speak. ...I'm almost saddened to hear the PR/CP go away.... :(

SCPD

QRT
Well that's not very good news. I know of a couple of people that use the PR400 on an LTR system with the MDC1200 signalling. They are happy with the radios and say they sound great. I wonder if they are coming out with something new to replace them with more features or trying to migrate analog users to the XPR series for an easier transition to DMR if need be in the future.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I'm surprised they ran the product line as long as they have. Motorola wants to migrate all entry level/pro users over to TRBO products. With the introduction of entry level TRBO radios like the CP-200D and XPR3500 portables, they are just as capable of all the features of the legacy radios including MDC1200, Quick-Call, etc.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
trying to migrate analog users to the XPR series for an easier transition to DMR if need be in the future.

That's my suspicion!

I still have plenty of PR-400 common spare parts so it will be a while before we make the move to DMR (TRBO).
Even though our analog repeaters are showing their age, the repeater radios can always be upgraded/swapped for cheap compared to whatever the TRBO repeater radio was I tested. The 2 slots per frequency was nice on the DMR radios though and as we seem to keep adding users, that would be the main reason I'd consider the swap to DMR.
The added range the DMR radios gave us was nice but unneeded for our application.

CSFD390

I agree..... but I will say this for us, the PR/CP IS NOT, I repeat, NOT a good public safety radio at all!!

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I agree..... but I will say this for us, the PR/CP IS NOT, I repeat, NOT a good public safety radio at all!!

Were either ever marketed towards PS use?
I don't know of anyone in the PS field here that uses these radios for that purpose. I've seen some local muni's use them for their public works departments though.
Our use is strictly industrial and entertainment support.

I'd say my number one problem was with the battery retention mechanism failing (mostly due to non-intentional user abuse). Also had a few 400's that had issues with very slow DPL decoding. That one was weird as CTCSS decoding worked very well. I think only 4 or 5 had the DPL problem. The local dealer could duplicate the problem but could not fix it. One took over a second before audio would open. They sent that one back to Motorola and they could also duplicate the problem but could not figure out the cause. They replaced all with the DPL problem and have been good radios for our needs. Even the ones with higher than normal abuse.
The few with the DPL issue were new so Motorola ended up replacing them after they could not figure out the cause. I think they wrote it off as a bad batch. The bad ones were all sequential serial numbers.

Last edited:

CSFD390

Nope....here it is either PR 400, CP200XLS, HT-1250, One fire district with Kenwood, & a department with XTS 2500 & 5000.

Our school district uses the CP200 radios to. I checked Motorolas website and it did not say anything about it being discountied. It should of said it. Like when they quit making the XTS5000 radios it said a cancel date on the product.

CSFD390

Yeah, quite possibly so. He told me over the phone, & emailed me a link, ill try to locate it and share...... but I didn't know they discontinued the 5000 series radio? I hope portable...cause I am currently searching for a updated cps for XTL 5000.

CSFD390

Wow....had no idea. I know that they are discontinuing the XPR 6550..? I believe that's it....I'd like to lay hands on one of those to.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, quite possibly so. He told me over the phone, & emailed me a link, ill try to locate it and share...... but I didn't know they discontinued the 5000 series radio? I hope portable...cause I am currently searching for a updated cps for XTL 5000.
MOL has no "Intent To Cancel" notice posted for the CP200/PR400 yet.

Not saying your info is wrong, but more that this sort of thing is usually posted on MOL right away when it is released so it's a bit of a head scratcher.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber

Not saying your info is wrong, but more that this sort of thing is usually posted on MOL right away when it is released so it's a bit of a head scratcher.
Motorola Solutions sent us the official email a few days ago (we're a Channel Partner) but I don't have my work computer with me right now. I can confirm they're canceling these as well as the CM300 mobiles. For some reason, MOL is down right now.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator

See attachment...

Attachments

• Cancellation Memo CP.PR.CM.PM. v1.0.pdf
    128.2 KB · Views: 827
Status
Not open for further replies.