Motorola to sell off Business Enterprise division

Status
Not open for further replies.

fwradio

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
MissionCritical Communications, Radio Resource International, and Public Safety Report - wireless voice and data communications for mobile, remote and public safety operations

Motorola Solutions agreed to sell its enterprise business for $3.45 billion in an all-cash transaction to Zebra Technologies. The acquisition, which excludes Motorola’s iDEN products, will be funded through a combination of cash on hand and new debt.

Looks like this will take Motorola Solutions down to just public safety and iDEN. No more Motorola branded commercial radios.

Last edited by a moderator:

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Motorola is getting back to their core business two-way radio and related technologies. That was the problem they got spread too thin..

w2txb

What... no more AM-FM car radios??? ;)

Moto is one of many companies that may be realizing that if it is too big to manage, it may fail completely.

PACNWDude

MotoTrbo may not be effected.

According to another news release today, MotoTrbo will be kept as well. Had my company scared a bit as we just converted from commercial Motorola radios to their Trbo line. The local radio shops had no answer last week when prodded, but admitted to getting a lot of chatter on the subject from all of us with MOL accounts.

w2xq

Mentor
Wirelessly posted (Moto Droid Bionic: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; en-us; SAMSUNG SM-P605V Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Safari/537.36)

Gotta say the Zebra CEO interview and announcement on CNBC yesterday was not very good. Assumption of viewer's prior knowledge, a no-no in my book. Not surprised I and others misunderstood.

Well there is nothing left to sell. Google has the cell phone patents, the microwave, canopy and semiconductor business sold.

All of the proprietary com systems at end of life, it is going to be tough to grow past the 75-80% market share that moto currently enjoys. It is going to be interesting to watch the next few years to see who is left standing.

jdobbs2001

Wow no more Motorola Television sets?

"its iDEN product portfolio that was part of its enterprise business and will continue its government business, including its professional commercial radio product portfolio."

fdscan

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I wasn't surprised by them selling the phone division off, when it comes to Android the competition is ENDLESS, with new phones coming out so frequently.

But them selling the barcode/business stuff kind of surprises me, because as a lot of you are saying, besides the radio end of things that was all they really had left.

I question the premise that Greg Brown is not good at growing business. Greg Brown has recently built up many companies. Nokia Solutions, Google, Lenovo, Arris, and now Zebra among others. And he is building many businesses all at once!

Greg Brown and Carl Icahn are both about shareholder value and both have become wealthy following this philosophy. Greg Brown is truly a whiz kid expert at growing and building businesses as well as being a visionary leader. Going beyond technology, he is also supports companies like Zurich in creating a new headquarters.

When Greg Brown came to Motorola is was nothing but an eclectic, incongruous collection of warring tribes. Greg has almost eliminated this pointless internal fighting. As Greg so blithely put it, "We have met the enemy and it is us!" Greg is at last bringing peace to Schaumburg. Although perhaps some of the battles will now move to downtown Chicago. At least Greg has a shorter commute from his downtown Chicago penthouse, easily paid for with the millions he hands himself each year for doing such a great job leading Motorola. In less than 7 years Greg has undone 75 years of Galvin influence. OK Zander helped a great deal but Greg deserves his share.

Greg Brown believes Motorola should get back to its core business and abandon bar code readers, semiconductors, telecommunications, smart phones, real estate, employees and technology. Motorola can outsource all of that. This will ultimately increase shareholder value. Less

MeddleMan

bar code scanners

I wonder if that includes the scanners at places like Pilot and Flying J. I noticed those are Motorola.

Status
Not open for further replies.