• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Trunking system not regestering

Status
Not open for further replies.

janitor

I have installed Customer programming software (CPS). I can read a radio (MTX9250) just fine. I can transfer the programming as well. But I can not register the system key.
On my old system (DOS based) under System Key it shows enabled. On my new system it shows disabled. Also the ADD button is greyed out.
. . . . . . . Any ideas?

fineshot1

Not sure how it works for the MTX9250 CPS but for the MCS2000 CPS after reading the radios codeplug you click the tools tab and click the user settings drop down and a window appears and one of the selections in the window is to steer the CPS to the key file location.
Try seeing if that will work for you. This is assuming you have loaded a valid motorola supplied key file on your pc. Good luck.....

janitor

question about key

"This is assuming you have loaded a valid motorola supplied key file on your pc"
I just rec. this software... is the key hardware or a software number to be typed in?

fineshot1

janitor said:
"This is assuming you have loaded a valid motorola supplied key file on your pc"
I just rec. this software... is the key hardware or a software number to be typed in?

A key file is supplied by motorola when you purchase the cps software from motorola. The key allows programming of the trunk system ID and trunk system parameters. This is of course assuming that you are an authorized administator of the trunk system in question that you are trying to program into your MTX9250.

janitor

I purchased thru auth. motorola dist. Should they have supplied?
Is this a key code (as in text) or a hardware key?

fineshot1

Well - like I said I dont know exactly how it works for the MTX9250 but a key file is just that - its a software file - not text or a code typed in. It enables trunk system parameters to be programmed into the cps. You cannot obtain one from motorola unless you are an authorized trunk system admin for the trunk system you are trying to program into your MTX9250. You can still program conventional system parameters into your cps without the key file.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the MTX9250 would have to have the trunking option, at least thats how the MCS2000/MTS2000 hardware options are setup. Conventional comes standard and trunking is flashable option.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Moved to the Motorola Trunking forum...a more appropriate place than the General Scanning forum for this discussion. :wink:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
To load a System Key into the software, you have to tell the software where to look.

In the Astro family CPS, you click on Tools, then System Keys, then Load and finally, Normal System Keys. The CPS you have is probably similar.

As stated above, you can buy the CPS from Motorola all day long, but they will NEVER sell you a system key unless you are the system admin of the system.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Also some of the CPS software looks for the file to be in a "common folder" in windows and some CPS look for it in a folder located with the CPS in the program files area. I had to copy some of the legit system keys that I have and past them into the proper folder
to make the CPS programs work correctly.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
fineshot1 said:
Forgot to mention that the MTX9250 would have to have the trunking option, at least thats how the MCS2000/MTS2000 hardware options are setup. Conventional comes standard and trunking is flashable option.

Incorrect, the MTX9250 is NOT a flashport radio and therefore is NOT upgradeable. It comes standard with Smartnet/Smartone type II and IIi

-Mike

fineshot1

mikegilbert said:
Incorrect, the MTX9250 is NOT a flashport radio and therefore is NOT upgradeable. It comes standard with Smartnet/Smartone type II and IIi

-Mike

fineshot1 said:
Well - like I said I dont know exactly how it works for the MTX9250

Mike - did you read the paragraph above what you quoted?

mikegilbert

MHz so good
Yes sir. You were talking about the system key process/requirements for the MTX9250.

I'm letting "Janitor" know his radio doen't need any flash upgrade.

fineshot1

mikegilbert said:
Yes sir. You were talking about the system key process/requirements for the MTX9250.

I'm letting "Janitor" know his radio doen't need any flash upgrade.

No - You missunderstood. I was talking about the system key process/requirements for the MTS/MCS2000 and that it might be same or similar to the MTX9250 and I even quoted myself above stating I did not know exactly how it worked for the MTX9250 (especially since I never had one). Thanks for the correction but it was not necessary.

mredding

Premium Subscriber
Gonna tack my question on the end of here since it sort of applies. Acquired the syskey from OEM on Friday and was trying to reprogram some MTS2000's (new talkgroups). I copied the .key file into the directory MTSX's config pointed at, reprogrammed the radio, and it said programming was successful. However, the changes didn't "stick" and everything remained as it was. I'm starting to think I'm an idiot. I could go back to doing it the old way and waiting around for OEM to reprogram radios for me, but that's no fun. I'm gonna call John during the week to see what he says, but I was hoping someone would have some insight.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
You may of programed in the talk-groups into the personality, but did you assign them an channel allocation?

obijohn

KS4VT said:
You may of programed in the talk-groups into the personality, but did you assign them an channel allocation?

And this is a classic example of why Mark and others are telling people to take your radio to an authorized dealer to have it programmed.

If you are clueless as to what information is needed in a specific field in the CPS or RSS,
than you really have no business programming a radio!

Sure, you're saving a few dollars by doing it yourself. But if you're not sure, than it is much better to let the pro's do it for you. In the old days it was a requirement that to make any adjustment to a radio, you needed a 2nd class radiotelephone license issued by the FCC.

I still bemoan the relaxing of this requirement for land-mobile radios.

I normally don't get upset about people asking questions on this forum, but I am seriously
considering asking the forum administrators to restrict asking these sorts of programming questions.

mredding

Premium Subscriber
obijohn said:
And this is a classic example of why Mark and others are telling people to take your radio to an authorized dealer to have it programmed.

If you are clueless as to what information is needed in a specific field in the CPS or RSS,
than you really have no business programming a radio!

Sure, you're saving a few dollars by doing it yourself. But if you're not sure, than it is much better to let the pro's do it for you. In the old days it was a requirement that to make any adjustment to a radio, you needed a 2nd class radiotelephone license issued by the FCC.

I still bemoan the relaxing of this requirement for land-mobile radios.

I normally don't get upset about people asking questions on this forum, but I am seriously
considering asking the forum administrators to restrict asking these sorts of programming questions.

I take offense to your comment, and refuse to discuss it any further. I design pacemakers, defibs and telemetry equipment for pete's sake; I can figure out software.

Mark: Yes, I assigned the talkgroup to a channel location to replace another in addition to adding the talkgroup to the personality.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
obijohn said:

There is a place, they call that batlabs :D

...Not saying they are not people on here who know this stuff, but the few that do might get overworked answering this stuff all the time...

:D

mredding

Premium Subscriber
So... I had OEM send me an image to clone from that should have worked. Again, it says everything completes successfully, but the changes don't stick. I think it's haunted.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I had an MTS2000 that was doing the same thing. It was a bad flex. Replaced it and that solved the programming issues it was having.

Status
Not open for further replies.