• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Type II Smartnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy252

Premium Subscriber
Does the "connect tone" given in the Database play a role in programming the control channels into a Pro-96? or does the connect tone not matter to programming it?

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
For the purposes of programming a scanner, the connect tone has no relevance. It only has relevance when programming a Motorola radio for transmitting purposes.

RKG

The "connect tone" serves two functions.

First, it allows the group or private call initiating unit to bring up the assigned voice channel repeater, and confirms that his radio has made the switch from control channel to voice channel.

Second, in systems programmed for Message Trunking or PTT-ID Trunking formats, it allows other units selected on the same talkgroup to key up the voice channel repeater without obtaining a successive voice channel grant.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
slicerwizard said:
So one has to wonder what purpose it serves in the database?
None, I'd say. I typically add it just for completeness as far as system details goes.

Though on the other hand people bring new systems online could use it to get an idea what other system operators are running. And like RKG hinted to, it keeps a radio which has no business on the system from passing audio on a voice channel.

slicerwizard

wayne_h said:
None, I'd say. I typically add it just for completeness as far as system details goes.
Since SmartZone systems can (and many do) use multiple connect tones, the database, with its single connect tone field per SysID, doesn't really provide completeness. For those systems, it actually provides misinformation.

Though on the other hand people bring new systems online could use it to get an idea what other system operators are running.
I'd advise them to check for themselves. They'd find that 782D doesn't use 105.88, for example.

And like RKG hinted to, it keeps a radio which has no business on the system from passing audio on a voice channel.
My comment asked what good CTs were in the database, not what purpose CTs serve; you're echoing a reason not to have them. Having said that, I really don't have a problem with them being listed, since CTs really aren't a system security feature.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
slicerwizard said:
Since SmartZone systems can (and many do) use multiple connect tones, the database, with its single connect tone field per SysID, doesn't really provide completeness. For those systems, it actually provides misinformation.
For site specific connect tones they go in the site's information page.

... since CTs really aren't a system security feature.
Why are there eight then?

RKG

slicerwizard said:
Since SmartZone systems can (and many do) use multiple connect tones, the database, with its single connect tone field per SysID, doesn't really provide completeness.

Technically, you cannot have multliple connect tones in a "pure" SmartZone system. The reason is that the connect tone is programmed as a "system" parameter, and in a "pure" SmartZone system, the subscriber addresses a single "system" and, therefore, always sends the same connect tone. Indeed, the beauty of SmartZone is that the subscriber can limit himself to a single "system" and doesn't need to change channels or zones as he moves about the service area.

To be sure, one can listen to or talk over a SmartZone system with subscriber equipment programmed for SmartNet II operation (i.e., no "wide area"). In this case, each SZ "zone" is treated as a separate system, and must be manually selected by the subscriber. And I know this is done in some places. However, at this point, you have defeated the SmartZone advantage, and so I wouldn't call it a "SmartZone system."

RKG

wayne_h said:
Why are there eight then?

Fellow is correct: connect tone is no more a "security" function than PL. Rather, its function is to permit a receiver (in this case, the voice channel receiver) to discriminate between traffic intended for it and other traffic.

In addition, since voice channels are basically FB2 repeaters, FCC regulations require that they be tone guarded against unintended activation from co-channel or adjacent channel emissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.