BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Motorola Type II SmartZone

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidjacobs2012

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have problems scanning a Motorola Type II SmartZone system? When I try to scan that type of system near me, it cuts in and out. Any suggestions on fixing that?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Does anyone have problems scanning a Motorola Type II SmartZone system? When I try to scan that type of system near me, it cuts in and out. Any suggestions on fixing that?

If you are inquiring about Clermont County as you did in another post they use a Motorola Type II SmartZone system with digital voice (APCO-25 Common Air Interface).

Those can be difficult to monitor. They are not like a true P25 system. Make sure you have it programmed as a re-banded system.

You have to be receiving a strong signal. An 800 MHz. antenna will help a great deal. I am in CC a few times a year and use a 760-870 MHz. Laird Tech TRAB7603 Phantom antenna on my SUV and I have picked them up as far east as Leesburg, yet there are areas in Anderson Twp. where I don't get them at all.

They are in the process of switching to P25 by joining MARCS-IP as a Tier 4 system.

This may make monitoring them easier depending on site locations and affiliations.

Last edited:

davidjacobs2012

Premium Subscriber
Scannermanner1: I usually am within a few miles of the tower im trying to monitor. I dont recall having an issue when i was monitoring with a 396xt.

W8RMH: How do i know if i have it programmed as a rebanded system? It should be programmed already as a rebanded system.

SCPD

QRT
Motorola Smart Zone ll

Hi-Westchester County, NY Department Of Emergency Services(WCDES) uses that system for Fire/EMS and I have a Bearcat BCT15X and no problems how ever, I did need help getting this programed via a freind on the telephone.
Have a nice weekend.

Bob(Yonkers,NY)

davidjacobs2012

Premium Subscriber
If you are inquiring about Clermont County as you did in another post they use a Motorola Type II SmartZone system with digital voice (APCO-25 Common Air Interface).

Those can be difficult to monitor. They are not like a true P25 system. Make sure you have it programmed as a re-banded system.

Would updating to newest firmware and reprogramming the system fix the problem, possibly?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
Would updating to newest firmware and reprogramming the system fix the problem, possibly?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Motorola analog on the x36 seems to be fine for me but the Unidens (including the 396T and the BCDx36 radios) have always had trouble with digital voice on these older Motorola systems. In theory, you can "tweak" the decode settings but I gave up on that a long time ago.

In contrast, my GRE radios have never had a problem receiving/decoding the same digital activity (no tweaks required).

As far as trying firmware upgrades - it won't really hurt to try firmware changes since you can upgrade and downgrade at will (I've done it several times). The only down side is we really don't know what each version of the firmware fixed or broke (but that shouldn't stop you from giving them a shot)

Status
Not open for further replies.