Motorola Type II ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scomeau1

I have four scanner:

Do I need to update the firmware on theses scanner to receive Motorola Type II

I see that the City Of Boston MA is going to Motorola Type II and would like to keep scanning the City of Boston.

Uniden BCT 996 XT
Uniden BCT 15

Radio Shack Pro-164
Radio Shack Pro-106

Thanks for any help that you can give me.

Scott

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Firmware changes would only be necessary on some of those scanners (notably the BCT15) when rebanding becomes effective. We have an article on this very subject in our wiki...(all links are in blue)

Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki

All of the scanners you name can handle type 2 systems as they stand. However, without going into a lot of detail, you have 3 distinct types of programming necessary due to the memory structure of the scanners you have chosen - DMA, object oriented and standard bank programming. How you address and program these systems is radically different for all 3.

I would pay close attention to our Mass. forum as well as any discussions, and the associated wiki on the Scan New England website. Those would be the 2 best places for detailed information for Boston

73 Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Additional: I believe that Boston's new trunk system is using a digital platform; only the 996XT and Pro-106 will be able to copy that system if this is true. The BCT15 and Pro-164 won't do it.

I get the impression that you might be a newcomer, so here's a bit of advice...

I would suggest starting off with learning how to program the 164 on the current Boston system. This is the easiest of the 3 types to work with, and would get your feet wet. I would then go to the BCT15 and 996XT (again, program only the conventional freqs for now), then go to the 106. Trying to do all 4 at once would simply be overwhelming.

Once these 4 are all done, you can then move onto the 996xt and Pro-106 for the new system.

Our wiki has a bunch of things that can help you along. If you look over by the Scanner Master ad, the blue toolbar underneath it - float your mouse over Wiki then select Wiki Home. You will see a list of Links for Newcomers with a good deal of information. Further down the page, in the Popular Topics area, the first 4 links there would be a good place to start.

Don't forget the forums and website I mentioned earlier. Sometimes local help is the best help - and with 4 distinct scanners to program, that might well be the way to go

73 (best regards) Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I have no idea. However, as a general observation, it's WAY behind schedule for many areas. Again, check the Mass. forum and the folks at Scan New England - they're in a much better position to address this, if anyone knows for sure, they would.

73 Mike

scomeau1

Quote: (I get the impression that you might be a newcomer, so here's a bit of advice...)

Well thanks for you advice !

But I have been into scanner since the 1978 and YES I need to know more but I have been programming scanner since then.

I great with computer just trying to keep up with the changes.

Thanks again for you support !

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.